IOT: Song of Another World

Since I got a few more joins I'll extend the lock a couple more days - will still be working on update in an official capacity though.

Full map to come.

Country Name: The Archbishopric of Verona-Bologna
Flag:

Capital Name: Verona
Government: Archbishopric
Religion: Roman Catholicism
Army/Navy Tradition: 4 Army 1 Navy
LeaderArchbishop Giovanni
-Heard the First Hymn
-Scholar of the Spectrum
-Skilled Diplomat
Culture: Based in the traditions of the fractured nation that is Italy the people of Verona-Bologna get along with their lives in a fairly easy going way often oblivious to the politicking of the upper echelons of society. In higher society their is a constant polite war being waged in court as to who can come closest to the Archbishop. A game that the archbishop will play himself to gain even more political leverage over his subjects.
A culture of learning exists both in the Abbeys and the University in Bologna - the first institution of its kind in the world. Following the great fall even more scholars flock to the halls of Bologna and the secluded cloisters of the monasteries to engage in theological debate over the true nature of the supposed death of God.
Given the nation's history this is one of the dominant forces in court and the people of learning are often some of those with the highest ranking in the courtly hierarchy.

A Map of the Archbishopric and Surrounding Areas
Spoiler :

Cities of The Archbishopric as Numbered on the Map:

1. Verona - Seat of the Archbishop's power and where he most commonly holds court.
2. Padova - Originally part of the archdiocese of Venice, the diocese of Padova was placed under Verona in the Papal act of reorganisation following the fall. Padova is possibly the second richest in terms of learning. After the University of Bologna the University of Padova founded just before the fall is one of the greatest centres of theological and philosophical discourse in the world. This was almost certainly why the dioceses was included in the Papal act,
3. Modena - A significantly sized city and one of the most productive and richest in the land, Modena represent the Archbishop's military and economic base. It was previously the seat of an Archbishopric before the Papal act and is for all intents and purposes still the most important city in terms of the Archbishopric as a nation.
4. Ferrara - Centre of the nation's financial sector Ferrara is the location of the Archbishopric's mint as commissioned by the Pope.
5. Bologna - By far the most important city in the Archbishopric it is Bologna that inspired the creation of the Archbishopric as an independent nation state.
6. Ravenna - Once the capital of the Western Roman Empire the city of Ravenna is now just another wealthy city in the Archbishopric.

While in Rome the Agency dealt with the theological and scholarly pursuits under the nose of Papal authority at the University of Bologna scholarly thought was blossoming in cross-disciplinary works trying to cut to the truth of the matter. The rising star that was Bologna quickly came to eclipse the thinkers of Rome and so the Agency soon began to try and put the thinkers of Bologna in order and establish a uniform method of doing things. not liking this thought the Scholars of Bologna petitioned to the pope to create a separate branch of the Agency run out of Bologna so that their discussions could be fast and unimpeded by the intervention of the Papacy. Celestine III agreed to an extent and commissioned the Papal Act of Bologna in which he created the Archbishopric of Verona-Bologna and granted freedom of thought to the scholars of that area understanding that the Archbishop, appointed from the school of divinity at Bologna, could keep the studies from becoming too heretical whilst still allowing them the unparalleled freedoms.

Here are the current claims minus thise who have yet to provide hard ones. The off-black areas are off limits to new joins - either because they're claimed, or !!other reasons!!

People in North Italy don't have to worry as that particular one is just so it doesn't get anymore crowded than it is up there.

Spoiler :

People in North Italy don't have to worry as that particular one is just so it doesn't get anymore crowded than it is up there.

We need more not less Italians!

Btw improved history based on actual (hour long) research is up in my signup post.

It might be good to actually remove scotland from my claim and paint it black to represent the lack of control the king of England has over this region.

Claiming the area around Sogdania.

Signups are due by Sunday.

Probably the last extension so we can get this game up and running.

大遼/GREAT LIAO

Capital: Dekhistan

Government: Theocracy

Religion: Buddhism

Army Tradition: 5

Navy Tradition: 0

Leader Name: Khan Yelü Zhilugu

Leader Traits:
Skilled Industrialist
Scholar of the Spectrum
Skilled Politician

Cultural Base: Buddhist Esotericism. Central Asia is now a center of learning and knowledge outdone in the history of the region only by the great and now defunct Persian Empire. Meanwhile, the Imperial tradition of Great Liao has helped maintain stability within the realm and avoid the insanity and anarchy that has claimed many parts of the world.

History: OTL History

Here are the current claims minus thise who have yet to provide hard ones. The off-black areas are off limits to new joins - either because they're claimed, or !!other reasons!!

Spoiler :

Uhm, I realize I forgot to put this in the OPs, but yeah, this will be the extent of the game area in the beginning. If you're adamant on playing as this, maybe we can work something out though. I'm open to suggestions.

Oh I didn't realise that, sorry :p

I will edit my polity accordingly when I have time and add history then!

Yes, Venice got Sicily since Bair dropped it for a much harder country to spell.

Probably shoulda done this earlier, but yeah, get your signups done. I hope to get this game up and running by Wednesday/Thursday.

Top Bottom