Iraq Attacks Kills Dozens, Wounds Over 100 In Several Cities

That's right. As I have declared, this thread is now about the Boston bombing.

Here's a thought. Why not post about Boston in the actually thread for that?

Or is this some wierd ego-driven thing you feel compelled to do to make some kind of point only known to you?

I'm betting the latter.

Here's a thought. Why not post about Boston in the actually thread for that?

Or is this some wierd ego-driven thing you feel compelled to do to make some kind of point only known to you?

I'm betting the latter.

Please, tell me more. I am interested in what you have to say about my intentions.

Iraq does have a lower murder rate than the US, but i'd point the finger at Chicago instead of Boston for that.

But assuming the point of this thread is as suspected, you just undid yourself.

No your right, its actually safer in Iraq, especially the large numbers of police being killed. (20.5% in 2012) That's even less civilians deaths Patroklos! :lol:
In seriousness though given that the murder rate is 400% the rate in Australia, the US dose a have a serious murder problem especially Chicago.

I note your lack of link :)

I of course provided one, your numbers don't add up. All ISF deaths for 2010 amounted to around 470 ( http://www.icasualties.org/iraq/IraqiDeaths.aspx ). I assume you are not about to claim that the number for 2012 was more than that, so that's your upper liming.

So if you are maintaining that 20.5% of police were killed in 2012, you are insinuating you believe the entire ISF consists no more than 2350 personnel. Perhaps you would like to rethink your post?

Just so you understand the numbers we are playing with, the Interior Ministry's police forces alone numbered 25,000 in 2007. The FPS (Facilities Protection Serive), basically police officers specifically assigned to protect critical buildings and infrastructure, account for another 17,000 personnel at the federal level alone. These are just two of the federal level forces, there are more at that level and others at lower levels.

Id think the bombings wouldn't be counted as homicides.

They do include such attacks. Interestingly the 160K deaths from the US occupation does include crime deaths, so even that number is not representative of deaths specifically linked to the war.

In seriousness though given that the murder rate is 400% the rate in Australia, the US dose a have a serious murder problem especially Chicago.
(also directed to others who have discussed homicides in this thread.)
The problem with using homicides to compare countries like the US to Iraq is that it kind of ignores the psychological effect of civilians (women, children, old men, people who didn't do anything to anyone) having their body parts blown all of the place. Urban crime, though terrible, isn't quite the same. Terrorism is of a different nature and is therefore much more frightening especially when you realize that most of the homicide victims are 20-30 year old men with criminal records. For most people, the probability of being murdered is like 4x10^-6. Suicide bombings are quite different.

The targeting of police

4 Iraq's police forces include some that in all but name are combat units. IBC includes only ordinary police in its civilian deaths database, except for any commandos or similar personnel summarily executed after being captured, at which point they (like soldiers) become "protected persons" under the laws of war.

While Iraqi police have always been targeted by armed opposition groups (and represent the single largest professional demographic recorded in the IBC database), a particularly notable feature of recent years has been the increasing proportion that they represent of all deaths, especially in relation to 2008 and earlier. 2012 saw both an increase in the absolute number of police killed in comparison to 2011 (724 vs 939 in 2012), and an increase in their proportion of all deaths (17.5% of deaths in 2011 vs 20.5% in 2012). 4

http://www.iraqbodycount.org/analysis/numbers/2012/

But Patroklos this is good news, as increasing numbers of police are being killed less civilians (as a percentage) are being killed.
( At least its not getting worse, which is kinda something )

I am assuming there is a language barrier issue here, because what it appeared you said earlier was that 20 ofpolice were being killed. I see now that you are saying 20% of murders in Iraq are of police officers.

Which is entirely irrelevant. And non-military police are civilians though I understand the circumstances warrant separations in some cases.

Which is entirely irrelevant. And non-military police are civilians though I understand the circumstances warrant separations in some cases.

Fixed for the NYTs

‘There Are So Many People Without Legs’
By TIM ROHAN 10:11 PM ET

The marathon finish line, normally a festive site of celebration and exhaustion, was suddenly like a war zone very safe Iraq

Patroklos things arent as bad as some of us imagine especially compared with 2006 when General Petraues said Iraq was on the verge of collapse, but nor is it as safe either. Lets just settle on that.

Iraq does have a lower murder rate than the US, but i'd point the finger at Chicago instead of Boston for that.

at least 4573 killed by violence last year in Iraq

4 573 / 31 000 000 = 0.00015 Iraq

14748 homicides in the United States in 2012

14748 / 350 000 000 = 0.000042 United States

Iraq has over three times the deaths per capita.

4.8 per 100,000 for the USA.
2.0 per 100,000 for Iraq.

Wow even hell holes like Palestine, Afghanistan, Jordan, Egypt, Yemen, Sri Lanka, Libya are safer then the USA.
Then you look at the USA compared with first world countries and the reason is obvious.

Notably, Chicago has tons of gun control. Massachusettes probably does to. Somewhat surprisingly to gun control advocates, New Hampshire's murder rate is much, much less than that of New York State.

Top Bottom