Is Britain about to leave the EU?

Status
Not open for further replies.
and of course the mismatch created by the referandum also has repercussions elsewhere , even to the extent of Americans allowing good Sunnis of Syria to kill a leading seperatist dude ...

Interesting
I still not sure what EU laws allow vetoing and what only requires majority voting, The example below which I assume are financial decisions allow require both unanimous and Majority voting ?
Lisbon treaty have moved EU more law making to majority voting, which has been balanced by increased membership of the EU, thus reducing the Big three voting power (UK, FR and GR)

Thank you for your link, also quoting from it.

For example, the UK government was outvoted in 2013 when the EU decided to put a cap on bankers' bonuses, despite strongly opposing such a move.

If Britain left the EU, the UK government would be free to decide on this itself.

Most of the conservatives will no doubt wish to let the so called bankers further loot
our savings and pocket the benefits of quantitative easing that debases the currency.

This battle has to be fought and won by the people.

and of course the mismatch created by the referandum also has repercussions elsewhere , even to the extent of Americans allowing good Sunnis of Syria to kill a leading seperatist dude ...

Please explain why you think that those of us
who voted Leave are responsible for that.

Most of the conservatives will no doubt wish to let the so called bankers further loot
our savings and pocket the benefits of quantitative easing that debases the currency.

This battle has to be fought and won by the people.

Do you mean the people of Maidenhead and South Northamptonshire or just the 30% that elected Cameron in Spring 2015?

It's in the royal borough of Windsor, so pretty much. :)

(Amusingly, it's also a synonym for virginity. A quick search for teen pregnancy rates in Berkshire gave me a rate of 32 teen mothers per 1000 in 2009.)

Please explain why you think that those of us
who voted Leave are responsible for that.

ı have nothing against your convictions of any kind . But the thing is it was supposed to be a close run vote with the UK staying in the EU and the backlash of singled out as barbarians-at-the-gate profitably used by the Counter-Revolution in Turkey that aims to create a Sunni country despite all the stuff . Qatarification is quite the word to describe it . This does not claim the entire referandum was staged to backstab and stuff , merely links it as an useful tool . There are calls to give citizenship to the Syrian refugees , with 3.5 million people translating into anything between 400 to 600 000 votes for the A-K-P , if not even more . And nothing for the rest of the parties . And despite all the rhetoric of friendship and brotherhood , there is the last night's fights which supposedly started when some Syrian kicked a stray dog in the street , stabbings with two deaths , lynching whole families possible if not attented to firmly . When the Party talks of qualified Syrians who will contribute much to do the society , there are always talks of those two very qualified Syrians who accidentally blew themselves up while preparing bombs for the Jihadists in Syria ...

doesn't work , while the seperatists are hitting hard despite the Goverment assurances of a repeat of the Ergenekon Conspiracy where the prestige of the Army was reduced to nothing so that a "Federal Solution" was just around the corner ? Economic troubles that might still suddenly blow up ? It's very rare for Americans to allow an operation to kill high ranking seperatists , presumably by paying some luggages of dollars to Jihadists ... Without the instability of the referandum it would not happen . Believe it or not ; on your own discretion .

Is Maidenhead as posh a place as its name makes it sound to be? :)
It is a commuter town for London on rhe Thames - a wealthy area - there are wealthier areas nearby.

I worked there for a few years - I chose to live in London and be broke as Maidenhead is boring.

Leadsom pulling out - May as PM by this evening?

Leadsom pulling out - May as PM by this evening?

Becoming PM requires the Queen's assent and she's not in London right now.

I just hope that Edward lives in Maidenhead, otherwise he won't have voted for the new PM either.

No reopening of the contest for Gove - May to be leader and PM.

Probably a good thing - two months more of a campaign would be a waste of time.

Edit: Gove not challenging it.

How long before article 50 will be triggered.

So, Theresa May will be only our sixth Prime Minister in 37 years and the second in nine years to be elected only by their constituency. Isn't democracy grand?

So, Theresa May will be only our sixth Prime Minister in 37 years and the second in nine years to be elected only by their constituency. Isn't democracy grand?

That is how parliamentarism work after all. No one really votes for a prime minister. They vote for a party. After that the party can do whatever it wants. I'm not saying it isn't disingenious, but it is the cards that a prime minister can withdraw or be forced to withdraw at any time. Be happy Britain isn't Australia.

And now the UK follows in the steps of Australia. :p

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-36763208

In a speech earlier on Monday setting out her leadership campaign platform, Mrs May - who rejected the argument that the next leader and prime minister had to have been someone on the winning side of the EU referendum - said: "Brexit means Brexit and we're going to make a success of it."

[...]

Meanwhile, former London mayor Boris Johnson - who was backing Mrs Leadsom's leadership bid, said he had "no doubt" Mrs May would be an "excellent" leader and prime minister.
He said he was "encouraged" by Mrs May's statement that "Brexit means Brexit", and added: "It is vital that we respect the will of the people and get on with exploiting new opportunities for this country."
Neither of those two wanted to leave the EU... Oh, well.

Let's see how long it takes before Article 50 is triggered! This is going to be so, so interesting. :D

I was just thinking today that maybe it would be good for me if the UK becomes "one of Europe's third world countries". Its universities would still have some prestige, and there's a good chance there'd be better opportunities to make use of that then.

Here's hoping Brexit doesn't fix it but makes things all the worse :cheers:

Absolutely. If our whole society starts to crumble then obviously preserving the Universities will be top priority.

Absolutely. If our whole society starts to crumble then obviously preserving the Universities will be top priority.
Well, maybe. Universities are traditionally regarded as one of the bastions of civil society. The erosion of academic independence, the reduction of the education system to a factory producing technicians and technology, rather than a source of citizens and citizenship, can't be a good thing for any liberal society.

If Britain does start to fall behind the rest of Europe as an economic power, a desperate government might find itself casting around for any shred of respect it still has, and it may find itself reversing some of the damaging reforms in higher education as a result.

To be honest, I don't think it's a very realistic proposition- the current regime is pretty committed to turning the entire country into one giant Poundland, and they're not going to let something as petty as total economic disintegration stand in their way- but it's not quite as silly as you're implying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom