1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Is Britain about to leave the EU?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Mega Tsunami, Jan 17, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ori

ori Repair Guy Super Moderator

12 countries? sounds like that information is woefully out of date, what with the EU now having 28 members...

Edit: 1994 is not exactly current. Anything prior to the Lisbon treaty is just not how things work today - try information post-2009. The UK is not excluded from that.

2. EnglishEdward

EnglishEdward Deity

No, I am not at all shocked. There is no reason why I should be.

I do not buy into this thought police nonsense pushed by new Labour that any
    criticism of a country's immigration policy is in itself racist or xenophobic (if the
    immigrants happen to be white) any more than any criticism of a country's
    equality policy is automatically sexist or of homosexuals is itself homophobia.

UK voters are entitled to take their concern over the impact that substantive
    further immmigration from the EU might have on housing, jobs etc. in voting.

A story on a demo about Theresea May's censorship policy was on BBC home page.

According to wikipedia, Theresa May was elected by the UK voters in Maidenhead.

3. Arakhor

Arakhor Dremora Courtier Moderator

You mean that she's MP for Maidenhead. I don't know about you, but I like my Prime Ministers to be more widely elected than that.

4. Snerk

Snerk Smeghead

Were there anybody on the political left side of the leave campaign who made any impact on the public debate in the UK? The norwegian remain out campaign in 94 was pretty dominated by the left.
    Now these are different times but the news on the leave campaign at our end of things was completely dominated by Boris and Farage as spokesmen. Did Britains get a more nuanced picture?

5. Arakhor

Not really, no.

6. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Alien spiral maker

Another comedy gold moment :lol:

7. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Alien spiral maker

Re Theresa May:

She does remind me of someone... Probably some dodgy psychopath, maybe the one in mr Robot, but likely one from a darker show.

Ah, yes, got it:

8. Algeroth

Algeroth 8 and 1/2

Well, if we are speaking in pictures, I found probably the best summary of this Brexit inconvenience

9. JohannaK

JohannaK Heroically Clueless

So Brits are secretly cats (or ruled by them). That explains so much.

10. Takhisis

Takhisis Jinping, wer fragt uns?

Well, the Norwegian campaign at least bothered to make plans and put forward well-thought-out arguments.

11. EnglishEdward

EnglishEdward Deity

For once I agree with you.

Few people read my posts.

Snerk:

The media love flamboyant characters and there were a large number
    of issues such as corporate hospitality and lobbying of the EU elite, TTIP
    and lack of democratic accountability that were not really debated at all.

How else do you think the Remain got as much as 48% of the vote?

An enduring problem is that many in the left confuse the dubious short term tactic
    of having a EU to mitigate against the future plans of the right wing in the UK
    with the current position of the EU enabling corporates to sidestep democracy.

Strangely enough I think that almost the only other UK person who understands
    this is Jeremy Corbyn, however he is becoming a prisoner of his own party.

There is an interesting old article here:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/may/16/brexit-eu-referendum-boris-johnson-greece-tory

The left fail to understand that it is firstly essential to decouple a democratic
    country from an undemocratic controling framework and then win an election there.

12. schlaufuchs

schlaufuchs La Femme Moderne

I want to, I really do, but then I take one look at your formatting and just give up.

13. Arakhor

I don't see why that's relevant to Snerk's question.

Given that it's pointless to speculate about how Leave "got as much as" 52% of the vote, it's equally pointless to do the reverse.

And the Tories will be even happier to implement TTIP given half a chance.

14. Phrossack

Phrossack Armored Fish and Armored Men

I think it is a form of poetry that
    does not have

meter or rhyme

15. Winston Hughes

Winston Hughes Wrathful Warlock Retired Moderator

Aye, you're on the right track.

She survived six years as Home Secretary - notorious as being the toughest job in government - without catching responsibility for any major blunders, suggesting that she's both hard as nails and extremely competent.

In terms of personality, she appears the mirror opposite of preening chancers like Nigel Farage or Boris Johnson, having little concern with her public image, beyond what's necessary to get her way.

And her underlying philosophy seems quite different to that of any Prime Minister in recent history. She's not a political cynic in the mould of Blair or Cameron, but nor is she a puritan like Thatcher or Brown. She does share something of John Major's pragmatic, team-first attitude - which is one big reason she's favourite - but she shows little of his faith in the basic decency of either the establishment or the public.

All in all, this makes her look quite the formidable character, and an attractive prospect to many, given the general mood of nervousness in the country.

The big question is how she will handle the spotlight. At the Home Office, she made the right noises at the right times, and otherwise just kept out of sight. That's not an option for Prime Ministers - or Tory leadership candidates - and nobody really knows how she'll cope with being the centre of attention. Lacking anything resembling either charm or compassion, she has only her reputation for competence to trade off, meaning that every misstep or misfortune represents a potential body-blow.

16. Lexicus

Lexicus Deity

Too accurate #savage

No but seriously how stupid are Boris and Farage?

17. Takhisis

Stupid… or just plain arsetards? Famed gagman David Mitchell has postulated that Nigel Farage is not really a xenophobe. He was percieved as one because he hated anyone but the English, but now that he's stepped out of the mess he helped create then it's proof that he also hates the English.

Does it make sense?

18. Winston Hughes

Winston Hughes Wrathful Warlock Retired Moderator

It's not hatred. He just doesn't care. There's never been any principle there, only ambition and vanity.

This is why, like Johnson, he is loathed even by those who recognised the benefits of his patronage to their cause.

But it's also why he was so effective as a figurehead. Unburdened by anything so cumbersome as belief or conscience, he could quite effortlessly stir up fear and hatred with one hand whilst making soothing not-a-bigot gestures with the other.

19. Takhisis

Readignthat post is as illuminating as it is disturbing.

20. FriendlyFire

FriendlyFire Codex WMDicanious

Interesting
    I still not sure what EU laws allow vetoing and what only requires majority voting, The example below which I assume are financial decisions allow require both unanimous and Majority voting ?
    Lisbon treaty have moved EU more law making to majority voting, which has been balanced by increased membership of the EU, thus reducing the Big three voting power (UK, FR and GR)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.