"Islam is violent! Just read the Koran to see for yourself!"

Scuse me a moment while I re-write the thread title a bit:

Islam is violent. Just look at the number of suicide bombings to see for yourself.

Done.

When's the last time anyone saw a Christian suicide bomber?? There's not a lot of them out there.

Except maybe Jehovah's Witnesses, :D but that's more of a "suicide door-knocking" thing.

You're confusing the actions of people that claim to follow Islam with the actual teachings of Islam.

When's the last time anyone saw a Christian suicide bomber?? There's not a lot of them out there.
IRA .

Hehe...religions..love 'em or hate them they're never dull.

The IRA were suicide bombers? That's a new one on me.

However there were Christian suicide bombers in the Lebanese War.

Both books have portions that are violent, and both books have majorities that aren't. In both cases, the reasons for violence are outmoded and applicable only to the customs of day. In both cases, there are some messages of violence which have resounded throughout the history of the religion. No value judgments about which religion is more or less inherently violent.

The IRA were suicide bombers? That's a new one on me.

However there were Christian suicide bombers in the Lebanese War.

Last time I checked, the definition of terrorism doesn't stick to suicide bombing.

ETA could probably count as one too if it wasn't ethnic terrorism instead, but they be catlicks.

Correct, but then I don't understand your post #82.

Not necessarily. But when you think about it, if Jericho and the other enemy tribes had been allowed to remain, we would have no Israel. No Israel, no Jewish law. No Jewish law, no knowledge of the Messiah. No knowledge of the Messiah, no Jesus. No Jesus, everyone goes to Hell, a far worse, and eternal fate than having our cities razed.

This is a really ignorant statement. God can't send you to Hell if you never had the chance to learn differently.

Which also makes me think Hell is not real. Why send anyone to an eternal torture. For such small scale violence on this tiny planet in the universe.

I think Constantine said it better then anyone, "In this sign I conquer!"..

First of all, most religions are based on the theory there is a omni-potent being "god" or several of these godly creatures.

Assume for a second there actually is a "god" if there is truly one true god then why isn't there one true religion? People talk about this and that but when it comes down to it, if there was one true god, there'd be one true religion. If god is all powerful why would the bible say if you don't believe you'll goto hell? (thats called a scare tactic and its a human one btw) If this one true god existed there would only be one religion, why wouldn't he simply make everyone a "true" believer? Why have all this violence over religion? If he is truly this all powerful being that is "good" he would have made it so were all believers and not killing eachother over our false gods.

Seriously, there are 2 Billion Christians in the world, there are 1.5 Billion Muslims, 900 Million Hindu, why is it that Christianity is right? Because the Church says so? Because there Bible does? If your going to make a statement like that or listen to one just like in the world today it's best to get the information from a independant third party, don't you think the Church has a motive to support its views just as the Muslim and Hindu would?

It's just like this old saying, If both sides of a war say they are right and both sides of a war think the other is evil and both sides think god is on there side... who is to say who's right and wrong? Both sides think in equal number they are right, surely good doesn't always triumph in the real world?

Lets be serious here.

There are 7 Billion people in the world and only 2 Billion believe in Christianity, what makes them so much more right then any other religion in the world with there own holy books? The institutions word? Come on ..

You ever hear of "Occam's Razor", it basically means the simplest explanation is often the right answer, what is simpler, that there is this omni potent being that controls our day to day lives and sees all guiding us in a world filled with horror and death, all the while claiming goodness and peace even though the very bible itself says that if you don't believe in god and jesus christ and all that you'll be condemned to hell.. or that these books were written and establishments formed by human beings for there own personal reasons?

Forgive me I know little about the bible as I don't believe a single word of it, so if any of the facts about the religion is off please correct but try to see the general idea I'm trying to get across.

But honestly, it's an outdated concept, one of the ways religion was formed was thousands and thousands of years ago when they had no technology or explanation for things as we do today, they turned to this belief. I mean if you got sick thousands of years ago they would say your possessed, now we know you just have the flue.. they'd explain it as a curse, now we know its just smallpox ;)

Come on, if god is so holy and his Church so great why is it that the priests go around molesting kids? lmao sorry for that one it was below the belt.

Why is it that the same people that basically founded christianity are responsible for Jesus Christs death? Why is it that the Nicean Creed was formed to pick and choose Jesus Divinity?

Why is Jesus Christ just a greek word for "One who is anointed"?

Why is Jesus painted as a white male? It's well known he wasn't.

Why is it that chances are his real name was actually Yoshua ben Yosef.. Why is it thats a middle eastern name yet hes painted white? Why is it that Yoshua ben Yosef translates to something like Joshua son-of Joseph..

Notice the son-of bit..

Last but not least, why is it that if you read about the man Jesus Christ aka Yoshua ben Yosef that the things he preached are not present in the present day Church? Do you truly think a man that died for all other human beings would send a human to the pits of hell just for not believing in him or his so called father?

If there truly ever was such a selfless man that would do such a thing that preached peace and love and wanted to save all of gods children do you really think he would want you to goto hell simply for not believing?

It makes no sense, and I would encourage you all to re-read the Occam's Razor theory.

The last straw for me was when George Bush visited the Pope at the Vatican and the only thing the Pope was concerned about was what about these Christians that are caught in the middle? How can we help the Christians?

Does that sound like something the man Yoshua ben Yosef (Jesus Christ) would of said? I mean there are 2million that fled the country 2 million that have been internally displaced and 700,000 dead.. I think the true Yoshua would of said, how do we help these people, but the church said, how do we help the Christians..

Not necessarily. But when you think about it, if Jericho and the other enemy tribes had been allowed to remain, we would have no Israel. No Israel, no Jewish law. No Jewish law, no knowledge of the Messiah. No knowledge of the Messiah, no Jesus. No Jesus, everyone goes to Hell, a far worse, and eternal fate than having our cities razed.

Well.. If you really think about it.. No Israel = No Jewish law = No Messiah = No Christianity.

And you, puglover, would be affiliated with a different religion altogether, and we would be arguing about something else entirely. You might even be a member of a polytheistic religion, who knows.

Of course I realize that the butterfly effect would make this far more complicated than the above paragraph might imply.. but.. I hope you can appreciate that scenario nevertheless :)

If there is a god and we are created in his image he must be one @#$%'ed up god.

So, basically, your deity's Super Duper Acme Plan for sending the messiah to earth was to have the land of his birth ethnically cleansed by Jewish tribes and then conquered by Romans? He couldn't come up with something better than that?

I would wait until like 1480 and then have Jesus appear in London. You could have Shakespeare write the New Testament! Twould be awesome, forsooth. Plus: printing press! None of those synoptic manuscript muddles!

No, in all honesty, your statement is as hilariously dumb as the Jewish theologians who say the Holocaust had to happen cuz it was Judaism's down payment on Israel.

I, an infidel to any Christian and Muslim, see the Bible and the Quran this way - they are essentially historical records. They are stories, passed down generation to generation or stories which occurred at the time, compiled, revised and edited. True there are parts which are violent, but it's only a small part. Anyway, a large part do teach good values and morals. Like all books, you need to consider the time period it was compiled in and use your judgement. Besides, Christianity or Islam isn't just scriptures. It's much, much more complex than that. It's the people, the clerics, the priests, the faithful, the traditions, the customs, and the teachings which make a religion a religion. To judge a religion just by skimming a scripture is ignorant.

Nice post btw Defiance. I really like some of the ideas.

BTW., I was appauled when I finded out that Muhammad married a 6-year old. It's disturbing and sickening, and I just don't care if that statement makes me look un-PC!

yeah it is, though one has to see that pedophilia was more accepted over long periods of history than one would think, mainly because of failing to understand that the psyche of children works differently than that of adults...
and marrying a 6 year old does not automatically mean having sexual intercourse with them anyway...

Actually, nowadays, the Catholic Church says that a) being Catholic doesn't automatically send you to heaven b) being non-Catholic doesn't automatically send you to hell.

Nowadays, the Church says that its mission is not to send souls into heaven, that's God's prerogative, but to bring about the Kingdom of God.

b) being non-Catholic doesn't automatically send you to hell.
Didn't the Church re-affirm recently that there was no salvation outside of the church?

Top Bottom