Lets Try C2C in JosEPh_II Style

Well, I played another 60 turns tonight. Currently, I'm finishing up the last ten techs or so in the classical era.

All in all, it seems to be equally as balanced production to tech wise as the other speeds, which I think was to be expected.

I was able to get my civ back up to 100 science pretty easily, and boy, in the last sixty turns, my science has quadrupled. All the techs take one to two turns.

I'm still not quite sure why crime and ergo, happiness is so much harder to control than it was in my v23 eternity game. Dunno...

One thing that is annoying is that I settled one city, and that settling of that ONE city made me lose 45 GPT! And the maintenance on that city was just one GPT! I only have nine cities, and yet the "Number of cities" cost is like 400 GPT! Joseph, is that normal? It seems crazy. Gold is actually not coming in by the tens of thousands, shockingly enough.

@wolfen,

Are you using Divine Prophets? Or Limited Religions?

JosEPh

Just to be sure , when you say GPT you're saying Gold Per Turn right?

If so, then yes, settling a New city will cut into your Gold/turn (GPT).

Are you running still 100% research? If you are, back it off a bit. You may find that you can still get that tech in 2 turns at 75% same as if you had it at 100%. Abd have some Gold in your pocket each turn too. Of course you will have times that running at 100% res will give you 2 techs (if Mult Res is on) because they're lower cost techs, like Rafts and Boating vs Tengrii or Shinto which require more turns to research. I constantly move the Res slider up and down.

Civic Maint. and City Maint. also seem to increase faster with this speed but I take it as just part of "how it is".

And once you've met several of your neighbors you may want to consider giving Espionage at least 5% and have some Spies handy.

JosEPh

Joseph, I've stopped playing this game, but here are some final thoughts on your last posts.

What baffles me is that I settled the city and lost 45 gold per turn, and yet when I went into the city's maintenance cost display, it said it was only costing me one! Where did all that GPT go?! Was it a bug?

And I have no idea why you always put money into your espionage. Sure, wreaking havoc with them can be great fun, but it's wholly unnecessary. The second highest civ in the world has less than half my points. There's no need for subversion when you can just squash them.

I get spies coming into my empire all the time. By having 5% towards Esp it reduces the success rate they have. Just because I have more Esp points than them does Not stop them from stealing tech or destroying Buildings or Tile improvements. Adding in 5 - 10 % Esp after Preh Era slows them down significantly. It doesn't cost me that much in gold, but does keep my frustration down when I don't succeed in stopping them.

Also I don't always use Adv Esp Option.

Was the 45GPT loss for your 2nd city? It always "costs" to settle a new city and iirc distant from capital plays into it too especially early cities because of your early civics.

Otherwise I would;ve submitted it in the Bug Thread with details so Koshling could've looked into it for a Bug.

JosEPh

Hm, point taken about spending a bit on money to hinder spies' efforts. But usually I just build my own spies to catch them. I was on a small snaky continent with just Wang Kon who was friendly towards me because I was in caste system, so I never had any spy troubles.

And no, it was my ninth city. I just might submit it, thanks.

I build spies too, but even with a spy guarding my city I've had tech stolen and buildings destroyed.

Since it was the ninth then did you have City Limits by Civics On?
Also What Era did you build this city?
What Civics were active?

There are penalties( added Maintenance Costs for Number of cities) in many of the early Civics too. Seems even more true with these New Civics.

JosEPh

I build spies too, but even with a spy guarding my city I've had tech stolen and buildings destroyed.

Since it was the ninth then did you have City Limits by Civics On?
Also What Era did you build this city?
What Civics were active?

There are penalties( added Maintenance Costs for Number of cities) in many of the early Civics too. Seems even more true with these New Civics.

JosEPh

I think you're supposed to use spies to see other spies, then move them onto their tile, to kill them. At least that's how I recall it being in BTS.

And no, I had city limits off, as per your request. It was the late classical era. And oh, I don't know, my usuals, probably. Caste, Monarchy, written tradition, open borders, landfills, banditry, state church, charity...can't think of the rest.

As far as I can see, the money was not lost due to maintenence. I dunno.

I have not "seen" another Civ's spy for sometime now in a game. Only their effects upon me. If I go into WB of course you/I can see them and some games the map is crawling with them. But even that is now affected by the Options you chose for Espionage in the game.

As for the reduced GPT, I've been experiencing that for founding a new city for a long time. In fact I try to plan for it while I'm expanding. If I'm making ~ 90GPT I can usually send out 3 settlers and after founding all 3 new cities expect my GPT to be at or just below 0GPT. After getting several buildings built in those new cities the GPT starts to rise and I start planning my next wave. Research % sometimes has to be dropped for several turns to help recover too. But that is usually short term.

All this of course depends upon available resources and how close my neighbors are.

I've also find that almost every game as soon as an AI "discovers" you they start Building cities Toward you. The more that find you the quicker they try to hem you in. So it can become quite a race to secure territory. And is another reason I do not like City Limits or Fixed Borders Options and why I like larger maps with less AI.

JosEPh

Top Bottom