LINESII- Into the Darkness

“An army without a wise leader is like a snake without its head.” –Masurao Book of Five Elements

If Gyoja was the brains and heart of the fledgling Ikki, Masurao would be its strong arms. Gyoja provided the vision, provided the leadership around which the nation rallied. It was Masurao, however, who made the vision a reality. He took the formerly peaceful monks and molded them into the feared sohei warrior monks. He changed the demoralized militia of the city-states into a motivated, professional force of spearmen. His campaigns broke the back of the bandits that had plagued the mountains and the rich that had oppressed the cities. And at the end of his life, he wrote down all of his wisdom in a series of five books, known to posterity as the Book of Five Elements. This text was so influential to future generations of Ikki, that a school soon started where the future leaders of Ikki’s protectors could devote themselves to improving themselves by studying the book, and committing it’s precepts to heart.

“It is written, ‘If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.’ Thus one of the first duties of any commander is to know yourself and to know your army. What then can you tell me about the army you will command?”

“Good master, though our army is one it has three parts, the sohei, the spearman, and the archer.”

“And why is that? Why are there three types of units in our army? Why not just have one unit?”

“Because though each unit has its own strength, each unit also has its weakness. Each unit compliments the other, accentuating the strengths while masking the weaknesses.”

“And what are the strengths and weaknesses of each unit?”

“The sohei are the elite of our armies. Their strength is found in their high training and devotion. Their naginata allow them to cover and attack a large area, allowing them to prevent the enemy from closing. Their weaponry, however, requires two hands to use and so they do not have a shield. They also have minimum armor, allowing them greater maneuverability but at the sacrifice of defense. As such, they are especially vulnerable to arrow fire.

The spearmen are the backbone of our armies. They are more heavily armored than the sohei, but because of this slower. Their strength lies in their formation, depending not upon the individual but upon the unit. Thus they are better in defense, for their unit is more likely to loose its formation in an attack than on the defensive. Though they are weaker than the sohei in overall strength, they are more numerous because it is easier to be a spearman than a sohei. Anyone can be a spearman, it takes much effort and training to become a sohei.

The archer’s greatest strength is its greatest weakness. It can do damage from afar, but because of this is helpless in a melee.

Thus each unit needs the other. The archer deals damage from afar, weakening the enemy before he can come close. The spearman protects the archer from the enemy, preventing them from getting close to the archer, where he is vulnerable. The sohei is the elite who can change the course of a battle. Alone they are easily countered. Together, they are like the pieces of overlapping armor which covers the holes of the other pieces, making the whole stronger.”

“That is good, you have learned much. Now comes the more difficult task, knowing yourself as a commander. What motivates you? What are you good at? Are you aggressive or defensive? What are your weaknesses? The good general knows all this. It is my job to help you discover the answers. Come, let us together take one more step on the path to enlightenment.”

The Strategos said:
To: Malkavia and Citadel of Knowledge

The wise soldier strengthens his shield lest the enemy's weapons break through it and pierce the soft flesh beneath it. We are your shield. We ask you to help strengthen us by signing a defensive alliance with us, opening your borders to our merchants, and giving us the gift of bronze so that your shield may be strong and withstand many blows.

Malkavia shall be its own shield, you will get nothing from us.

I understand Langels don't answer? Oh well...

to Ikki:
Attac the Langels from behind. Together we might be able to destory them *etting sick from myself because I look for allies*

erez87 said:
I understand Langels don't answer? Oh well...

to Ikki:
Attac the Langels from behind. Together we might be able to destory them *etting sick from myself because I look for allies*

We don't have contact with you yet. The only nations we are aware of to my knowledge are Malkavia, Gamorrea, and the Citadel. We aren't going to attack Langels anyway, just protect ourselves if we are attacked.

to: Ikki, Malkavia and the Citadel

bang your shields in fright!
pray to GOORA for mercy, for none shall she show to those who shall not help themselves!
hide behind your walls and cower before the dread of Lengel.

It is the holy word of the DAUGHTER that we shall lead, and so be it!

We SHALL NOT tolerate any encroachment upon our lands!
not by Lengels, nor by the Spirits of the Elder One!

It was our wish to reliquish the way of the bow, and adopt the way of the pasture, but it looks like we are surrounded by the Clans of Wall and Shield!

We shall engage the Lengels. ALONE if need be.

Will you not cease your posturing and join us in our common goal?
will you not ACT in your own best interest?

ALL PRAISE GOORA!
Mistress of the winter night and the summer plains.

soul_warrior said:
to: Ikki, Malkavia and the Citadel

bang your shields in fright!
pray to GOORA for mercy, for none shall she show to those who shall not help themselves!
hide behind your walls and cower before the dread of Lengel.

It is the holy word of the DAUGHTER that we shall lead, and so be it!

We SHALL NOT tolerate any encroachment upon our lands!
not by Lengels, nor by the Spirits of the Elder One!

It was our wish to reliquish the way of the bow, and adopt the way of the pasture, but it looks like we are surrounded by the Clans of Wall and Shield!

We shall engage the Lengels. ALONE if need be.

Will you not cease your posturing and join us in our common goal?
will you not ACT in your own best interest?

ALL PRAISE GOORA!
Mistress of the winter night and the summer plains.
In other words Bla bla bla bla yada yada?

Only the Maugot are true gods.

erez87 said:
In other words Bla bla bla bla yada yada?

Only the Maugot are true gods.

Blasphemy! Hear, all heretics! The Red Lady is the only goddess that can grant a safe passage for the dead souls to the Netherworld! All the other deities do not know the Ways like Her, and can provide a limited guidance at best! Convert to Crystalism! :D

Some questions:

What does it cost to build roads and the beneifts of em.
If you switch to a new UU can you still create some of the older ones? (Ie. Veritas had Latismen, Phoenix Archers, Falchions etc.)

@ Crystal people: I'm correct assuming that we have peace, right?

Those were not UUs, just different types. The Veritasian UUs were the Phoenix Archers, I believe.

the Veritas only had 1 UU throughout the whole game, the phoenix archers, they just called their Swords men and axe men fancy names

Don't mention it. :)

Yeah, they have it right. It's like Malkavian Ravnos Phalanx, which are really just spearmen. And Contempt is the Lengels now, so he will have to answer that diplo.

To the Maugot
From the All-Conquering Lengels

We have no use for petty alliances with a kingdom that will soon serve us anyway...

I see Contempt has figured out the Lengel attitude pretty quickly. I'll resume stat updating soon.

Lord_Iggy said:
I see Contempt has figured out the Lengel attitude pretty quickly. I'll resume stat updating soon.

It's frankly the same as his Mongol attitude :p

alex994 said:
It's frankly the same as his Mongol attitude :p

No, that attitude was much sneakier. It believed that everything would eventually belong to the Mongols, but I wasn't above using vassal states for tribute to fund my wars...

Top Bottom