M0 (emm-zero) named as parasite responsible for humanity's malfunctions

Erik Mesoy

Core Tester / Intern
Google Cache (main site appears to be down)

Mirror site

First of all, please note that there is not a giant miniature space hamster holding a hammer gun to your head and squeaking "YOU MUST PARTICIPATE IN THIS THREAD!".
So thank you in advance from refraining from making such comments as
Cleric said:
WALL'O'TEXT! GAAAAAHH

Second, set an aside an hour for this. It's a long paper. I don't expect rapid replies to this thread.

Here are some quotes from the paper.
Abstract

This paper presents a self-replicating, homeostatic phenomenon called M0. M0 runs parasitically on populations of humans. It is remarkable in that although its anatomy is distributed across all phenomenological layers from neurological to paradigmattic, its causal sequences are robust and (once exposed) readily traceable and hence vulnerable to counterattack.

The anatomy and lifecycle of the parasite are described, together with several secondary effects which are often of primary importance to the host population. An alternative interpretation of the role of dopamine in controlling mood and awareness is proposed, and how the "security breach" thus exposed is exploited by M0 is shown. A disturbing model of the variability of human consciousness is proposed.

Driver

The driver organ is a positive feedback loop operating between the Neurological(1) and Behavioural(3) layers of individual humans. It is the motor that keeps a flow of energy directed into maintaining the existence of M0. It does this by exploiting what in systems engineering would be termed a "security breach" inadvertently provided by an existing safety mechanism. Since understanding the breach requires a reappraisal of the existing understanding of the function of dopamine, we should first consider an analogous security breach exploited by the opium poppy.

Pain is a natural safety mechanism that prevents an injured animal sustaining further damage to the injured area. It is a safety mechanism which generally enhances the animal's survivability, but which would be counter-survival if the animal were unable to escape the cause of the injury because of the pain. Therefore a second safety mechanism has evolved that protects against problems caused by the first. For a while after injury, endorphins block the pain signals so that the animal can escape. But there are no further safety mechanisms, so if an animal performs a behaviour such as smoking opium (which simulates endorphins) for too long, it can get trapped in a situation not probed by evolution. Its brain chemistry strikes a new balance in the presence of the opium and the animal cannot stop smoking opium without experiencing distress due to withdrawal. It is therefore obliged to fund the cultivation of opium poppies.

We propose that the subjective experience of boredom is a first level safety mechanism analogous to pain, that has evolved to keep humans moving about so that they can discover and exploit their environment. This safety mechanism could itself prove fatal in siege situations, such as having to hide quietly up a tree until a predator leaves. So a second safety mechanism has evolved to place a human into a partially conscious standby mode after the human has been bored long enough that it would have moved on if it possibly could. The level of the neuroinhibitor dopamine in the human's brain rises. This induces a subjective experience of self-absorbed well being, while rendering the human quiescent but sufficiently conscious to notice when it is safe to move, by deactivating an entire layer of cognition, functionally described below as the "Exploitation of Feedback in Cognition".

There is an important difference with respect to the endorphin case. Excess dopamine is secreted after a period of boredom, not for an initial period. While an human cannot manufacture more endorphins without subjecting itself to stress of some sort, excess dopamine can be produced by simply continuing to do nothing interesting! Therefore a human that is kept in a bored state for long enough to rebalance its brain chemistry will become hooked on its own dopamine and be able to feed its own habit by simply boring itself! While tolerance may ease some of the debilitating consequences of being in standby mode, it does not even begin to compensate for the lost faculties.

The driver organ is therefore a positive feedback loop whereby a human hooked on its own dopamine (Secretion) will perform boring behaviours to stimulate dopamine production (Constraint). As with other addictive situations, the higher the usage, the greater the craving, such that the positive feedback loop will always tend to increase boring behaviour and levels within the bounds of the possible.

Clamp

Although it is primitive, M0 is a loathsome parasite. The purpose of the clamp organ is to hold the host's mind in check while it uses his or her entire life to the maximum possible extent. By exploiting the standby mode security breach from Neurological(1), M0 maintains the host in a state that omits the higher value Cognitive(2) functions altogether (Suppression). This alone makes the host unable to perform the self-criticism necessary to notice that his or her actions do not correlate with their stated objectives. Worse, the self-absorbed state evolved to keep the host happy but still in sieges increases self-confidence as it progressively erodes the remaining awareness. Eventually, the host's confidence in his or her total mastery of the situation is justified (in their own eyes) by the brilliance of the strategies they create. Such as resetting the clocks and telling themselves they are more productive. Chronic cases appear criminally cynical because the mix of fatuous comments and patronising attitude seems to tally with the characteristic motor impairment symptoms of very high dopamine - rearward lolling head and a peculiar smirking expression. Sadly, the more authority a person acquires, the less practicalities intervene to moderate their self-addiction. The boom transfers the motor impairment to Cultural(5) - "airs and graces" (Projection).

Hosts do not realise they are compelled to ritual fix, and supported by an action oriented culture cannot conceive of anything more reasonable than repeating the same behaviours over and over again. It becomes an end in itself, an inherent good. In extreme cases highly ritualised workers such as nurses will replay previous life threatening behaviour caused by unawareness, including the "arguments".

This state of mind is supported (Confirmation) from Paradigmattic(6). The universe thus perceived is a shallow, chaotic one. When things work it is because they have been constrained to rigid behavioural tramlines. Otherwise, the clamped mind believes everything will slide into chaos. There is no deep structure (algorithmic redundancy) to base one's understanding on, so understanding does not take place. All learning is therefore by rote, and without structure usually forgotten very quickly. The ability to imagine themselves ever understanding anything is stripped from most people. Therefore they do not even try, and if ever circumstances do cause them to try to use their full awareness, the experience of trying to use faculties that are unavailable is unconsciously distressing and the host is effectively conditioned by aversion techniques to avoid thought!

Meanwhile the high dopamine levels numb the host, removing awareness of the state of their own metabolism, and the simplest forms of metabolic control. Most people cannot exert any influence at all over their own heart rate!

In this state of mind, the host controls nothing, understands nothing, and he or she may do terrible things while always returning to the junkie's first priority - the next fix. The only over-riding priority, as in other forms of addiction, is fear. The host becomes completely reactive, and in the absence of an immediate cause of fear his or her biggest concern after ritual fixing is to avoid blame, a second order fear of the rituals being interrupted by fear. Such is the dimming of the host's faculties that the simultaneous subjective experience of self-important superiority and craven terror does not seem contradictory. Yet to all of this incredible contradiction and confusion in their own minds, the hosts and their co-hosting friends and relations, will be oblivious.

The rest goes on to describe the effects of dopamine as exploited by M0, who's affected, some people who are naturally immune, what should be done about it, and a whole host of other related topics.

In short, most of humanity suffers from high dopamine levels imposed by M0, as described in the bolded quote above. The makes them addicts to rituals, less perceptive, less focused. Those with low dopamine levels (the herein considered natural state) will question the existing ruleset and rebel against the system that M0 has imposed. This causes the M0-hosts to shun them, act contemptuously towards them, and otherwise justify themselves to them.
Examples of these 'rituals' range from unwritten social codes that one is expected/demanded to follow, to school systems where are all pupils are made to learn the same material in the same way from the same teacher. (I have an ugly anecdote - my English teacher once told me to stop giving so many right answers because I was making the other students feel embarassed.)
Minor administrative officials - rightly called 'droids' by hackers - also exhibit this behavior. They will refuse to think for themselves, refuse to do anything outside their field of {knowledge, competence, authority}, refuse to connect you to a person that they think you shouldn't be connected to, and expend immense effort preventing you from circumventing the system - preventing you from destroying their rituals, which they are addicted to.

M0 article said:
Consider the UK Government. One dynamic person should be able to handle logistics efficiently for about ten productive workers, and yet when a group of just eight scientific workers recently left a government research centre, a staggering 116 administrators were left without a reason for employment. Since the loss of eight people from the headcount did not significantly reduce the administrative workload, the administrators simply continued to self-administrate, and to date, no-one seems to have noticed.

As El_Machinae is my witness, this is not my paper. (BTW, El, the Slashdot article you posted had no relation to this. It concerned Toxoplasma, not M0.)

Wow, cant wait till people start responding, so I can figure out what the threads about.

I think it is meant to be a pun on the word 'emo" although i cannot find any of the symptoms relating to that suposed subculture from what i browsed through.

I'm not done reading it, but it is an... interesting article, to say the least. Some very... interesting propositions in there, though I hope that later in the article they do bring up some sort of... evidence? :p

Erik Mesoy said:
First of all, please note that there is not a giant miniature space hamster holding a hammer gun to your head and squeaking "YOU MUST PARTICIPATE IN THIS THREAD!".
So thank you in advance from refraining from making such comments as

Second, set an aside an hour for this. It's a long paper. I don't expect rapid replies to this thread.

Here are some quotes from the paper.

Whole article sounds made-up. It never actually describes the lifeform, only what it does. A parasite can be any number of things, including a helminth or an ameba.

Bozo Erectus said:
Wow, cant wait till people start responding, so I can figure out what the threads about.
I request a moderator deletion of this comment per the thread rules, "do not make empty comments" and "read the article".

JoeM said:
Are you telling me that some bug is giving me the Rules of Being a Man?
No. I'm not telling you anything.
The article claims that M0 may be responsible for such strong rituals existing.

JoeM said:
Highly doubtful.

Shaihulud said:
I think it is meant to be a pun on the word 'emo" although i cannot find any of the symptoms relating to that suposed subculture from what i browsed through.
I request a moderator deletion for this too. I wanted discussion of the article, not failed searches for bad puns.

North King said:
I'm not done reading it, but it is an... interesting article, to say the least. Some very... interesting propositions in there, though I hope that later in the article they do bring up some sort of... evidence? :p
A little, but the authors have another six or so papers out. Paper two is 'The Ghost Not'. I haven't read the other papers yet, for reasons which will be revealed.

JoeM said:
Any reason you dredged reposted this eight year old diatribe article up[,] Erik?
Attempts to weaken argument with loaded words removed.
In answer, I was reminded of it very recently because of a thread exhibiting severe ritualistic behavior, and a similar school event the same day.
I first came across this paper a few months back, fwiw.

Nanocyborgasm said:
Whole article sounds made-up. It never actually describes the lifeform, only what it does. A parasite can be any number of things, including a helminth or an ameba.
Since I quoted and linked the article, it's not made up. "You're making up things" is an accusation that the subject being talked about does not exist. I'm very much open to the possibility that M0 might not exist, though. Will you instead discuss the ritual addiction described in the paper? I suppose you have, at some time, been annoyed by minor bureacrats or 'droids', who, instead of attempting to solve a problem you present, mutter "not my problem" and "more'n me job's worth" and "I'll have to ask someone else". The paper presents possible reasons, symptoms and a proposed cure for this.

Oh, and thanks for teaching me a new word! :goodjob: Helminth - a parasitic worm.

This article presents a very interesting proposition--that humanity is infected with a parasite that utilizes our natural response to boredom to hook us on a sort of feedback loop where we are addicted to our own dopamine. This appears to be more prevalent when we are performing tasks which don't require any creativity--the ritualization of these tasks adds on to the feedback loop, hence, putting in even more dopamine. This article also postulates that breaking from that cycle will result in something of a crash, encouraging returning to the ritualized cycles. It also postulates this has had an effect on our culture, and that, in short, the cycle has caused our whole society to go into a dopamine enhanced stupor.

Now, the article is very insightful--I have noticed many of the "problem children" which it cites as being "non-infected" are indeed superior to their peers, and yet alienated. It makes a very interesting observation on our society as a whole, which has indeed been regulated to the point of absurdity.

However, I'm curious as to why the theory has tha parasite at all. In my opinion, humanity itself could be doing this very thing. It is not some mythical little "mind-worm" (for lack of better terminology) that causes us to be hooked on our own dopamine, and to be eased into a cycle of repetetive tasks with no ending--it is humanity itself that is destroying its own productivity. And in my view, that seems a deal more likely than some unidentified parasite.

It's not a parasite, it's just their way of putting forward Richard Dawkins' idea of memes.

It's a long-winded way of saying that people are lazy. It's easier to follow 'rituals' (pre-ordained methods of action) than to invent new ones.

It's the sort of thing that the student papers might publish in the features section for amusement.

It's quite possible that being lazy is a problem that makes people feel good about themselves. They don't have to do extra work that way. Avoiding work at no cost (to themselves) understandably makes people happy. Hence the possible dopamine connection.

M0=laziness

The paper offers no data, not even about the organism. It seems to little more than an extrapolated hypothesis from other behavior changing parasites that exist. Which is fair enough i suppose.

However, a slightly closer reading shows it is not talking about a phyiscal parasite at all.

The life cycle of M0 consists of very different stages that live in different habitats, as caterpillars crawl along leaves and butterflies inhabit the air. Unlike insects, M0's habitats are in completely different...
Neurological. Includes neurochemical, structural and other physically identifiable phenomena.
Cognitive. The subjective experience of the person - limitations on what they can perceive and how they must perceive.
Behavioural. Observable, manifest behavioural traits of the individual in isolation.
Social. Effects of groups of people behaving together.
Cultural. Evolved by a society and passed on through generations. The culture is explicitly preserved.
Paradigmattic. The nature of the universe perceived by members of a culture. Beliefs about the nature of reality. The paradigm is implicitly preserved.

So we are not talking about tapeworms or the like here.

Anyway, I don't the first idea what they mean by M0, but maybe someone with more knowledge of this area of bunkum will have a better idea.

Ah, the wonder of google, which sees all and knows all. http://reciprocality.wikispaces.com/M0

Well, the way I see it, you can only afford to be lazy if you've taken care of the bare necessities: food, shelter, safety..

Thousands of years ago humans spent most of their time looking after these necessities - I doubt there was much time to laze around. In today's world most of our bare necessities are taken care of and you don't have to worry about them... Thus you have time to laze around, if you want to.. this gives you pleasure since you know that all your basic needs are met and that you don't have to worry about them.

Few questions to those who read the article (I'm taking the Bozo approach here and am not going to read the article.):
What is the point of the paper? is it satirical? is it motivational (to not be lazy)? Does the author seem to honestly believe that there is a real parisite?

No, not satriical or motivational. I think the parasite is meant to be a something in society or indivduals that is self-perpetuating and alters out behaviour. The link I found suggests education is a factor, brighteye's laziness is an equally good candidate. And that if only we realised and did something about it, we could be great. I think.

Looks like it's written for 'believers', so I'd go with the cultlike option. It certainly seems like the authors truly believe that we can liberate ourselves from our mundane state etc.
A great deal of hogwash is spouted by psychologists and, sad to say, people in the fields in which I'm interested. In fact, most scientific papers are written in a way that really makes the findings seem very grand. The problem is that some people become so accustomed to making their research and interesting ideas sound impressive that they fool themselves and start believing in it.

The key is to decide beforehand that you don't believe the paper, so that you pick up on all the possible flaws. Of the ones they don't mention you can be sure that half are accurate criticisms which they've deliberately overlooked, and half they've been too foolish to notice.
Very often people make a simple idea seem grand, so it's a good skill to acquire to be able to summarise things like M0 and see that they boil down to a slightly interesting view of laziness.
It's a shame that one needs to go through this process in order to understand scientific literature, but in an age of competition for grants it's a natural tendency to exaggerate and not be objective. An objective paper or one that really is very important is an exciting rarity.

Time for me to 'fess up.

To quote the PM I sent to El_Machinae before posting this:
The M0 article is some of the worst pseudoscience I have seen. You may notice that it has absolutely no sources, refers no studies, and generally had little to offer it credibility.

I don't take it seriously. However, I did find it fascinating and compelling - despite how strongly I saw the memetic undercurrent of "We're fine and the rest of the world is mad", which is a dangerous proposition.

It was very interesting to see Shane's link, which I hadn't seen before. Thank you, Shane!

Ignoring the cultlike view and the grand delusion the authors have built, I still find myself annoyed by 'droids' and others that they would call "ritual addicts". It really is a human tendency to play the blame game, call in superiors, spend lots of meeting time on little to nothing, and otherwise think "all the people who did it before us surely can't be wrong". It's curious, and I find myself kicking such attitudes in the teeth repeatedly in my daily life, hence annoying lots of people who aren't so-called "natural immunes".

Top Bottom