Malaysia wades into the MH17 debate

Clearly it was part of the operational lead-up to the master stroke of industrial sabotage: Chernobyl.
Which in itself was a rehearsal for the assassination of the Czar Nicholas II and his family!

bad Russians are Commies , good Russians are ... well , they gotta be someone .

Except me when I'm playing Civ 4 but that doesn't....doesn't count
Yes! Oh man I just had flashbacks of finishing off a major ICBM production program and then immediately unleashing the full arsenal on my rivals.

Yes! Oh man I just had flashbacks of finishing off a major ICBM production program and then immediately unleashing the full arsenal on my rivals.

I was thinking of guided missiles actually, which I usually only build as a novelty item when I'm already far ahead of my rivals. I do tend to sit on a reserve of nukes and not use them all at once, just in case an annoying enemy stack shows up somewhere.

I once sneak-attacked a rival's major city with a couple of tactical nukes and marines, and razed it to prevent their cultural victory. They were weak, because invested most of their resources in culture, so they agreed to sign peace soon after.
IIRC it was Dutch empire.

Damn that's cold but the Dutch had it coming, clearly. I mean our kids were wearing their blue jeans and dancing to their music videos!

I wanted to do that without war declaration and repercussions, but there is no way to remove insignia from marines in Civ4 :(

I wanted to do that without war declaration and repercussions, but there is no way to remove insignia from marines in Civ4 :(

You could, however, gift tac nukes to both sides in a war. They'd both use them, completely eliminating each other's stacks and incurring all the diplo penalties involved with doing so (permanent "you nuked us!" and "you nuked our friend!" as applicable). As the nuke supplier you had...nearly zero consequences for this, aside from being out the production of the nukes and the AI's idiotic targeting with nukes sometimes wasting them.

TECHNICALLY, they counted as a (very small) gift, similar to giving a bit of money. You'd probably have had to gift thousand+ tac nukes to get a similar penalty to tech trading with someone's enemy, and that modifier didn't stack. So basically nuke gifts had zero diplo penalty in practice.

If you had enough tac nukes on subs and transports with paratroopers, it was possible to remove 15+ city AIs in one turn even on high difficulties. Ironically you might be temporarily stopped by corp executives and such, since paratroopers couldn't enter a city with those on the same turn they paradropped. With enough workers left over from early game + captured you might even scrub the fallout and get some workshops up to make the cities contribute. Doesn't take long to get granary + forge + factory + coal plant going with state property + workshops.

You could, however, gift tac nukes to both sides in a war. They'd both use them, completely eliminating each other's stacks and incurring all the diplo penalties involved with doing so (permanent "you nuked us!" and "you nuked our friend!" as applicable). As the nuke supplier you had...nearly zero consequences for this, aside from being out the production of the nukes and the AI's idiotic targeting with nukes sometimes wasting them.

TECHNICALLY, they counted as a (very small) gift, similar to giving a bit of money. You'd probably have had to gift thousand+ tac nukes to get a similar penalty to tech trading with someone's enemy, and that modifier didn't stack. So basically nuke gifts had zero diplo penalty in practice.

If you had enough tac nukes on subs and transports with paratroopers, it was possible to remove 15+ city AIs in one turn even on high difficulties. Ironically you might be temporarily stopped by corp executives and such, since paratroopers couldn't enter a city with those on the same turn they paradropped. With enough workers left over from early game + captured you might even scrub the fallout and get some workshops up to make the cities contribute. Doesn't take long to get granary + forge + factory + coal plant going with state property + workshops.
They were not at war with anybody and were accumulating culture like crazy. All what I did is sneak nuclear submarine in their waters and had small fleet with a couple of transports and destroyers nearby. Two tactical nukes from submarine destroyed all defenses and marines were able to capture the city on the same turn, IIRC. Of course I couldn't hold the city and had to raze it. I believe I even managed to evacuate most of marines.
Just wanted to win the game and turned the evil Russian mode on :devil:
Though I think I was playing as Gandhi that time...

They were not at war with anybody and were accumulating culture like crazy. All what I did is sneak nuclear submarine in their waters and had small fleet with a couple of transports and destroyers nearby. Two tactical nukes from submarine destroyed all defenses and marines were able to capture the city on the same turn, IIRC. Of course I couldn't hold the city and had to raze it. I believe I even managed to evacuate most of marines.
Just wanted to win the game and turned the evil Russian mode on :devil:
Though I think I was playing as Gandhi that time...

Gandhi nukes before the meme was a thing! Haha. Yeah, this was very effective in Civ 4. With nukes/paras you could do it to inland cities, too (if you use unload transport option you could paradrop same turn you moved into port with the boat!). What I mentioned was an extension of your strat; do your ninja on one city...but to every AI city at once on the same turn :nuke:. It's not hard to hold cities after doing this, in fact if they don't have corp executives blocking city capture doing this will eliminate the nation outright (removing units). Even if it doesn't, nuking every single city will make any counterattack attempt pretty meager. Can be annoying if the AI had a few tac nuke subs also since it'll probably counter nuke you then.

Wait, can paratroopers move into an empty city on the same turn as paradrop? This doesn't count as an attack?

Gandhi nukes before the meme was a thing! Haha. Yeah, this was very effective in Civ 4.
The Gandhi and nukes meme is from Civ1, so I doubt that doing this in Civ4 count as "before" ^^

The Gandhi and nukes meme is from Civ1, so I doubt that doing this in Civ4 count as "before" ^^

I don't think it hit "meme" status until Civ 5, where an underflow glitch made his personalty *the most nuke-happy AI in the game by a wide margin*. In Civ 1/2 there weren't distinct AI personalities at all.

I suppose this depends on your constraints for defining "meme", but this particular one shot up rapidly after the Civ 5 bug.

I don't think it hit "meme" status until Civ 5, where an underflow glitch made his personalty *the most nuke-happy AI in the game by a wide margin*. In Civ 1/2 there weren't distinct AI personalities at all.

I suppose this depends on your constraints for defining "meme", but this particular one shot up rapidly after the Civ 5 bug.
There was a similar glitch in Civ1 which made Gandhi the single most agressive civilization under certain circumstances. We were joking about it in the early 2000 :)
Here is a page explaining it in the trivia part.

There was a similar glitch in Civ1 which made Gandhi the single most agressive civilization under certain circumstances. We were joking about it in the early 2000 :)
Here is a page explaining it in the trivia part.

That trivia is referring to the Civ 5 bug.

That trivia is referring to the Civ 5 bug.
You didn't read it, right ? :p

In Sid Meier's Civilization, each leader has their own statistics that define their personality towards others. Once a player researches and adopts democracy in the game, all leaders would have their aggression stat towards the newly-democratic player reduced by 2. However, India's leader Mahatma Gandhi already had that stat set to 1 by default, and the effect of democracy caused an integer overflow - it would have theoretically gone to -1, but the stat apparently used the unsigned tinyint format for its value, setting Gandhi's aggression to 255 and having him threaten players with nuclear weapons. This bug has since become a running joke among the fans and in the Civilization series itself, going as far as setting his nuke production and usage stats in Sid Meier's Civilization V very high (to the value of 12).

It explicitely refers to Civ1, and then explains the bug, and then suggest that the bug being such a running joke is the reason for the stat in Civ5 (regardless of if it's true or not, the point is that it's a bug from Civ1 that was widely known).

I just figured they were referring to the series in general. If you insist this was there in Civ 1 I'll concede. I was under the impression that they had no differences but maybe that's wrong.

without the maths but with like wide experience of playing Civ I , ı can assure people that Gandhi was always a sight that made me smile with reference to nukes and like it was his daughter-in-law or something who made India go nuclear , like in 3 years .

Top Bottom