Mass Slaughter of Thousands Of Taliban Prisoners Still Not Our Concern...

Formaldehyde

Both Fair And Balanced
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5gjc2gjOKXqk3dgB6yvfHT9LRxwxgD99C0JNG0

WASHINGTON (AP) — Obama administration officials said Friday they had no grounds to investigate the 2001 deaths of Taliban prisoners of war who human rights groups allege were killed by U.S.-backed forces.

The mass deaths were brought up anew Friday in a report by The New York Times on its Web site. It quoted government and human rights officials accusing the Bush administration of failing to investigate the executions of hundreds, and perhaps thousands, of prisoners.

U.S. officials said Friday they did not have legal grounds to investigate the deaths because only foreigners were involved and the alleged killings occurred in a foreign country.

The Times cited U.S. military and CIA ties to Afghan Gen. Abdul Rashid Dostum, whom human rights groups accuse of ordering the killings. The newspaper said the Defense Department and FBI never fully investigated the incident.

Asked about the report, Marine Corps Col. David Lapan, a Pentagon spokesman, said that since U.S. military forces were not involved in the killings, there is nothing the Defense Department could investigate.

"There is no indication that U.S. military forces were there, or involved, or had any knowledge of this," Lapan said. "So there was not a full investigation conducted because there was no evidence that there was anything from a DoD (Department of Defense) perspective to investigate."

A Justice Department official said the FBI had no jurisdiction to investigate. The official was not authorized to discuss the matter publicly and spoke on condition of anonymity. Separately, Justice Department spokesman Matthew Miller declined to comment.

A spokesman for former President George W. Bush did not have an immediate comment Friday night.

Reacting to the Times' report, human rights group Physicians for Human Rights called for the Justice Department to begin a criminal investigation into whether the Bush administration blocked inquiries into the Taliban deaths.

"For U.S. government officials to claim that there is no legal basis to investigate this well-documented mass atrocity is absurd," said the groups deputy director, Susannah Sirkin.

The allegations date back to November 2001, when as many as 2,000 Taliban prisoners died in transit after surrendering during one of the regime's last stands, according to a State Department report from 2002.

Witnesses have claimed that forces with the U.S.-allied Northern Alliance placed the prisoners in sealed cargo containers over the two-day voyage to Sheberghan Prison, suffocating them and then burying them en masse using bulldozers to move the bodies, according to the State Department report. Some Northern Alliance soldiers have said that some of their troops opened fire on the containers, killing those within.

Dostum, the Northern Alliance general who is accused of overseeing the atrocities, has previously denied the allegations.

A former U.S. ambassador for war crimes issues, Pierre Prosper, told the Times that the Bush administration was reluctant to investigate the deaths, even though Dostum was on the payroll of the CIA and his soldiers worked with U.S. special forces in 2001.

Dostum was suspended from his military post last year on suspicion of threatening a political rival, but Afghan President Hamid Karzai recently rehired him, the Times reported.
It doesn't surprise me in the least that GWB tried to hide these atrocities and never ordered a completely investigation, but I find it troubling that Obama is taking the same approach, especially now that the apparent orchestrator of these war crimes is back in power...

Discuss.

Wow, I had no idea this had happened... good on them. :goodjob:

Too bad they aren't still that ruthless against the Taliban today... might have saved our boys a few lives and Afghanistan would be further on the road to stabilization.

Wow, I had no idea this had happened... good on them. :goodjob:

Too bad they aren't still that ruthless against the Taliban today... might have saved our boys a few lives and Afghanistan would be further on the road to stabilization.
So you are a proponent of unpunished war crimes? Not a surprise...

So you are a proponent of unpunished war crimes? Not a surprise...

Why I thought you'd be all for eliminating religious fanatics from the Earth!

Why I thought you'd be all for eliminating religious fanatics from the Earth!
That you have no clue what my opinions really are comes as no surprise to me.

No, I'm just afraid that we'll suffer blowback if we intervene... don't want those Northern Alliance guys hijacking our planes, right?

Absurdity becomes you.

We give you the rope. You hang yourself.

:dunno:
Some Northern Alliance soldiers have said that some of their troops opened fire on the containers, killing those within.

Prehaps the NA guys were just shooting into the containers to try to open some air holes to try to keep their charges from suffocating?:dunno:

This was not the change I was hoping for.

War sucks. No newsflash.

Doesn't sound like it was in our jurisdiction. A lot of bad stuff happens in the world that's none of our concern.

Countries shouldn't be responsible for the actions of their allies that they support?

Millions of Indians killed in the westward expansion....why should we care about a few thousand Taliban prisoners?

Well, when you are interfering in messy tribal warfare, things happen. What exactly is the US supposed to do that won't undermine the mission in Afghanistan?

so a thousand dead terrorists are something to cry over? I say kill the rest in the same fashion. Warcrimes where made up by Liberals that are afraid of the conquences of war that simple

I'm not advocating mass slaughter by any means, but I really don't feel any sympathy for the Taliban at all. If you ask me they deserved it after what they've done(not just to the US, but to everyone, especially your average Afghan citizen).

I think the most that we could do is pressure Afghanistan or something.

Countries shouldn't be responsible for the actions of their allies that they support?

should we be responsible for stalin's purges because we allied with him? Should you go to jail because your friend commited a crime?

In fact I think calling them allies is a bit of a stretch more like acquaintances with a common enemy. Regardless it's not our duty to use our resources for criminal investigations that occur outside our jurisdiction.

In fact I think calling them allies is a bit of a stretch more like acquaintances with a common enemy. Regardless it's not our duty to use our resources for criminal investigations that occur outside our jurisdiction.

Makes sense. But incidents like that make the US look bad.

Top Bottom