My theory of everything

The error is probably mostly with the term theory of everything being a physics term. If you're dealing with how to approach your life, who the hell cares about string theory. If I had wheels I'd be a bike or something. Duality can offer insight and is very much present in many of the most enduring approaches to humanity.

So string theory. Stuff vibrates. What is a vibration and what is not?

The error is probably mostly with the term theory of everything being a physics term. If you're dealing with how to approach your life, who the hell cares about string theory. If I had wheels I'd be a bike or something. Duality can offer insight and is very much present in many of the most enduring approaches to humanity.

So string theory. Stuff vibrates. What is a vibration and what is not?

Which is why I speak also of anthropocentrism.

In a traditional frame of human experience, you could frame references as binary (if you ignore nuances and also ignore non linear human choices).

But I don't see how it relates to reality, because variants of reality are very rich in outputs, and the transitions between than usually works as gradiants, blurring the difference between states with many transitional forms.

So it is unique in the fundamental, and multilayered in the phenomenical.

Really, please, do tell me; how is reality binary?

Regards :).

Well sorry that I did not take care to tailor my philosophy to your particular needs. I am afraid that is your job and yours alone.

Moderator Action: If this is going to be an aggressively personal thread, it will be closed. Find something to discuss with others or find something else to do.

I'm sorry, but I have no idea how the response or the question flows from my post.

I'm sorry, but I have no idea how the response or the question flows from my post.

Sorry if my inference wasn't clear enough. I'll try to elaborate.

The original post derived a fundamental understanding of reality through duality, and framed it as a "theory of everything", which a strictly technical, physics-bound terminology.

I pointed out that duality is not a concept that sinergizes well with modern physics. So, basically, I pointed out undue appropriation of terminology, to communicate an imprecise concept that derives from an anthropocentric mindset, projecting human gender duality over nature.

On the cited response, you said that the main problem was the use of "theory of everything" as a term, not the relying on duality and in fact, that duality can offer great insight to "approaching humanity".

To what I pointed out that this is why I mentioned anthropocentrism; because without undue overconsideration of human frames of reference, you cannot see the universe as dualist; it is either monist in its fundamental workings, and multifaceted in the phenomenical level.

Seems to me my question was quite clear; how duality is relevant at all? Any more elaboration required?

Ah, ok. I don't think Terx is talking physics - specifically as the followup relates to Aimee's objections regarding dopamine and her lived experience. So I do not think that use of the term in its contemporary physics context is super on target. Now, that term does get used in a sort of overarching-personal-philosophy context, and it is more at home there. I think that's closer to how he means it. He can disabuse me of that notion if he desires, and my assertion to where it fits would still stand.

Humanity is a lot of things. Our power over what we are is not absent, but it is limited. I've heard a stoner-utterance "we only die because we accept it." Well, that's ******ed. There's plenty of evidence of people not accepting death being greeted by it anyhow. But, then, I guess one can address how they define self. As we drift older, the people that I see that seem worthy of emulation do seem to put less of theirself inside their physical being. More of their "self" is broader, less specialized. But w/e. How does duality play it. I'm not an expert, but a lot of our decision making is yes/no. A lot of our complicated decision making, even that containing combinations and nuance is a series of rapid fire yes/no to different combinations. Is this true? No. Is it's opposite true? No. Is it true if I mix it with this other thing? No. How about if I mix it with these three other things? Maybe. What changed, then? This? No. This other thing? No. This third thing? Maybe. Should I be kind or should I self-protect? Should this I give or should that I take? Is this person cooperating or are they going to assault me? Are they infectious or are they healthy? It goes on and on. Heaven and Hell. Stasis and Change. Yin and Yang. Logic and emotion. All these concepts bleed over, they aren't binary. But they are dualistic.

Hello @FredLC , where have you been hiding? It is nice to see you posting.

To add to the dogmatism: duality is an illusion.

@Terxpahseyton your experience sounds interesting. The problem I see is that you are trying to make it work within the context of modern physics. That is tough at the quantum/atomic level. Reducing Buddhism to an electron and a proton, to love and lust or any other duality is hardly fair to Buddhism.

How has your new state of consciousness changed your daily routine?

Got pulled onto something halfway through last post. Maybe an example. I was reading a study where they compared men and women parents' response to the cries of infants. The women, being more nurturing, displayed faster response. The men kept a more even keel. But if you watched the physiological stress response, heart beat, blood pressure, etc: the dads were every bit as stressed as the moms and at equal speed. The nurture is there in full force, it's just been socialized to display and present a different aspect. Keeping an even keel on a non-emergency situation that is under control is valuable, and loving, and effective. But you need to know it's being taken care of.

Ah, ok. I don't think Terx is talking physics - specifically as the followup relates to Aimee's objections regarding dopamine and her lived experience. So I do not think that use of the term in its contemporary physics context is super on target. Now, that term does get used in a sort of overarching-personal-philosophy context, and it is more at home there. I think that's closer to how he means it. He can disabuse me of that notion if he desires, and my assertion to where it fits would still stand.

Humanity is a lot of things. Our power over what we are is not absent, but it is limited. I've heard a stoner-utterance "we only die because we accept it." Well, that's ********. There's plenty of evidence of people not accepting death being greeted by it anyhow. But, then, I guess one can address how they define self. As we drift older, the people that I see that seem worthy of emulation do seem to put less of theirself inside their physical being. More of their "self" is broader, less specialized. But w/e. How does duality play it. I'm not an expert, but a lot of our decision making is yes/no. A lot of our complicated decision making, even that containing combinations and nuance is a series of rapid fire yes/no to different combinations. Is this true? No. Is it's opposite true? No. Is it true if I mix it with this other thing? No. How about if I mix it with these three other things? Maybe. What changed, then? This? No. This other thing? No. This third thing? Maybe. Should I be kind or should I self-protect? Should this I give or should that I take? Is this person cooperating or are they going to assault me? Are they infectious or are they healthy? It goes on and on. Heaven and Hell. Stasis and Change. Yin and Yang. Logic and emotion. All these concepts bleed over, they aren't binary. But they are dualistic.
Ok, this thread already started from an unusual place, and I think it is getting even more unusual still.

Not a problem, just pointing it out.

Regarding intentions, well; actually, I think you are half right; indeed, I don't think a precise care with the physics coherence of it all was the top priority; in that much, I agree with you, at least until he sets us straight on his intentions.

But he does tries to bind things to physical reality; he claims to be handling science, and specifically denies magic, while talking about particles as "protons" and "electrons" guiding biology in terms of psychological/mythical terminology, like "life force", or "thanatos and eros".

So, I can't help but to see that as mysthical philosophy appropriating scientific knowledge, at least until better clarification. Thus, that's why I asked him how can he reconcile his approach with rigorous congruence, without undue anthropocentrism.

About the nature of reality, well; seems to me that you arrived to dualism through analysis; specifically, you postulated a quantized version of questions/"decision making", that admits only yes/no answers.

I would challenge this postulate. To use your examples:

"Is this person cooperating or are they going to assault me?" What if he is cooperating, but inadvertedly, through error, his action and up harming you; so a sincere act of cooperation results in involuntary assault? If he wants to assault you, but involuntarily helps you, for example, by delaying you for a moment more suited to your goals than the one in which you intended to act?

Are they infectious or are they healthy? What if he is healthy but infectious, like Typhoid Mary (carriers in general)?

These are scenarios in which the reality if the situation is a blur between the opposing states. This seems to be the way nature functions; with the line between states of being demonstrating fluidity, are least at any level we can reasonably influence.

I don't see duality in nature, at all. It is a traditional way to frame ideas - this, I agree with - but I feel that mentality is reductionist, an artefact of antiquated thinking.

But that's me! I could be wrong.

Hello @FredLC , where have you been hiding? It is nice to see you posting.

Thanks. I actually had a day off today; while I was taking coconut with vodka and baking in the sun, I decided to enter CFC to get a feel of the international perception of the COVID-19 pandemic, and ended up reading this thread.

Strange thread, and strange way I got here.

Last edited:
Most spiritualism is just ego. You probably possess ego elsewhere, just not in that.

I would have thought the opposite - I think those people that truly believe do so because they feel the utmost need for there to be something more, something beyond themselves and the physical. and I can relate, after all existence is scary and the idea that nothing has inherent meaning or value is, too. it just happens to be true. existentialism fills a similiar psychological niche imo, as do conspiracy theories and new age beliefs. they're all ways of coping. maybe that is just me projecting, but I think the need for there to be something more is part of the human condition.

I totally, 100% agree with you when it comes to organized religion though.That stuff is pure ego. Though I think separating faith from the institutions is important for discussion.

Ok, this thread already started from an unusual place, and I think it is getting even more unusual still.

still, we've got you here to bring it onto a more productive path. I have to say I have really enjoyed reading your posts. hope you stay with us. I have no been posting much myself, but I have to commend @Terxpahseyton because this thread really got my noggin joggin.

Last edited:
I would have thought the opposite - I think those people that truly believe do so because they feel the utmost need for there to be something more, something beyond themselves and the physical. and I can relate, after all existence is scary and the idea that nothing has inherent meaning or value is, too. it just happens to be true. existentialism fills a similiar psychological niche imo, as do conspiracy theories and new age beliefs. they're all ways of coping. maybe that is just me projecting, but I think the need for there to be something more is part of the human condition.

What is it if not ego for someone to claim they've personally figured out an existential truth and that it is up to them to save the rest of us? Most avenues of spiritualism, even if you (general "you") adhere to a mantra that already exists, entail some sort of exclusivity that you have earned your way into, and that it is then your responsibility to propagate it. I feel it's incredibly egotistic to believe you have uncovered the secret to a fundamental aspect of life. Of all the billions who have lived, of all the vast expanses of the universe, you've figured it out? No one else? And now it's your duty to spread the Good Word? It takes a lot of cojones to make a claim like this.

Believing life and existence is bigger than humanity or the self is totally fine. Believing that you've personally figured it out... That smells like ego to me.

I agree w/ terx that way more "involuntary" stuff can be under our control than we think, it's just a ton of work.

What is it if not ego for someone to claim they've personally figured out an existential truth and that it is up to them to save the rest of us?

That's exactly my point. What you are talking about here is Religion, not faith. There is no need to convert others or appeal to universal truths in order to believe. A set of beliefs may be purely personal.

entail some sort of exclusivity that you have earned your way into, and that it is then your responsibility to propagate it.

definitely yes to the first part, that is a big problem with religion.

I feel it's incredibly egotistic to believe you have uncovered the secret to a fundamental aspect of life. Of all the billions who have lived, of all the vast expanses of the universe, you've figured it out? No one else? It takes a lot of cojones to make a claim like this.

on this part I wholeheardetly agree. this is pretty much my criticism of terx universalizing his ego death into a philosophical framework.

I also just fundamentally agree with you philosophically. agnosticism (in almost all things) is to me the only belief that resonates with me. thinking you've personally got it all figured out is insanity, the opposite of that seems rather humble. religion, atheism, ideology.. it seems ultimately incredibly arbitrary to point to anything and say "yeah, this is the universal truth". nah, man. the more I know the more chaotic everything becomes, not clear.

Fun post Fred!

If the thinking works, it's not antiquated. Medical excess was antiquated and outcapitalism'd in 60 years without pandemic. Yet the reasoning behind it was solid as ever, hubris may rule for a time, but it remains hubris. ;) Inadvertent assault rather than cooperating, healthy but deadly. Both play upon the bleed over in the original language terms. They weren't intended to be binary! We certainly aren't omniscient, our thoughts are not 100% accurate representations of the universe they seek to describe. Yet we are beings that exist within a frame.

Mostly having fun, don't read insult in "hubris" please! I've plenty, myself, independent of if you have any at all.

All Life as we know it is firmly rooted in a sense of "self" that is separate from what is around it. It is "ego" based. At the human level individual and group efforts to reduce the power of the ego on our actions have been around for about as long as organized cities and cultures. There are lots of similarities among all those efforts whether they are ancient or new.

The rational: what we call our consciousnesses, this subjective THING, this experience, this whatever - it needs to come from somewhere. It can not come out of nothingness - that would be magic, not science. Not our universe. Just as with energy or matter and everything else. There needs to be a source. So it already needs to preexist within the matter IN SOME KIND OF form.

Logical, isn't it.
Certainly, linking consciousness to matter is one approach that puts consciousness on a long continuum from the sub atomic level all the way to humans and is inclusive of rocks, soils, one cell critters, bugs etc.

Further: What is human, then? Human as such is Thanatos being used by Eros to express itself. That is the basic duality of pleasure and pain, of having to decide between the two, constantly. That is what humans do - in contrast to primitive life forms which more or less just do. So the human in you is basically a dead shell, but a very brilliantly designed and useful shell which Eros within you uses to express itself.
You use "design" and "express itself". Who designed what? What is being expressed by this dance? You imply purpose. What purpose? These appear to be blank spots in your exposition.

Top Bottom