1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Naming scheme discussion

Discussion in 'Team CivFanatics' started by DaveShack, Jul 3, 2012.

1. cav scout

cav scout The Continuum

yeah that is usually the first thing that pops into my head when i'm thinking about naming a city :lol:

2. Caledorn

Caledorn Emperor

:lol:

I also like Hamsafar (which means journey together in Farsi). It should have some accents, if civ supports that in city names. Incidentally Hamsafar and Sukla-Krsne are my two favorite Christopher Tin songs in addition to Baba Yetu.

3. talonschild

talonschild Drive-By NESer

I was fond of Hamsafar, and also Kia Hora and the Portuguese one. Never much like Sukla Krsne. I think the harmonies were too unconventional.

Unless it's in the predefined city list (as I think is the case with Portugal), I don't think you can add accents. Though, to be fair, I haven't tried copy-pasting.

4. Bowsling

Bowsling Deity

Alt-Whatever worked in CivIII, and I'm fairly confident that it also works in CivIV.

5. Caledorn

Caledorn Emperor

If accents are allowed, then the city name (if we want to use it) should be Hamsáfár. The alt-code for á is alt+160.

Of course we could also be very sarcastic towards RB, and name the Ishtmus city "Kia Hora Te Marino" which means "May peace be widespread" in Maori (another Tin song I love). Complex name, and possibly too long, but I find the irony of that to be quite funny myself. I may just be weird though. :lol:

6. Caledorn

Caledorn Emperor

I have to admit that the unconventional harmoines are part of what really appeals to me with the song. I am very fond of the musical scales used in ancient Persian/Mesopotamian/Egyptian music, and Sukla-Krsne is leaning heavily on those scales. :)

7. 2metraninja

2metraninja Defender of Nabaxica

I've played in a modded game pitboss where we had Hungary, oh, man, you should see their names.
    They have all the kind of accents letters and consonant heaps in their city names. But this actually doesnt means that you can use non-ascii symbols, as those were predefined too. But I believe that if you have a way to enter them, you can have them as Civ4 itself handles unicode well. What I know for sure is that if you use non-ascii symbols in the name of your player when logging in to a pitboss, it messes with it, but that is the Pitboss application itself and not Civ4.

Back on topic :) The Sukla-Krsne text is great idea. So India, so Civ! I still think we must keep to shorter and easy to remember names. We as a team are those who will use them for communication the most, so if they are confusing/hard to remember it will affect us the most. Though I noticed someone proposed great idea some time back - that we change/rotate our city names each turn, so no one can do any effective espionage on us :D

8. talonschild

If we do that, I humbly suggest we use variations on the string "Enaillellion". Enailllellion, Enaillellian, Enaillellliun, etc.

9. 2metraninja

:) We can even have all our cities named seemingly one and the same name similar to Enaillellion. By using Cyrillic letters, which are all the same look-alike for e,a and o and adding few more of those, we can have permutation of many different names looking absolutely the same. Our enemies when seeing a list of absolutely the same city names will be like :eek::dunno::faint:

Remind me to do this at some point later in the game, even if for only few turns just for the fun of it :D

10. Bowsling

Bowsling Deity

In CivIII, it was possible to name a city "Military Tradition" or "100 gold (per turn)", and it would be indistinguishable on the trade screen. I guess that's why they added the prefix "City of" in BtS.

11. Aivoturso

Aivoturso King

Yes, Alt-whatever works with CivIV but not all Unicode characters are supported. I tested copy-pasteing some Japanese and Chinese characters to no avail.

That would be me. :wavey: Not sure if your cyrillic letters idea works though as I don't know which characters are supported in the game. But just with right accent and left accent we can have loads of fun with a city name having many vovels such as Enaillellion, Énáílléllión, Ènáílléllíòn and so forth. With just the three options, without accent or left or rigth one, Enaillellion could be spelled in three to sixth power different ways. That makes it total of 729 combinations, which should be enough for our cities.

BTW, Ham Safari? Is that a hunting trip where you are after boar?

12. 2metraninja

Sounds to me more like safari for pigs. Ham is made of pigs, right?

13. talonschild

Hamsafar. Starts at 38:31

Link to video.

EDIT: Would someone tell me what I'm doing wrong in the embedding process?

14. Aivoturso

Aivoturso King

Well, boar is a sort of a pig. You are less likely to get into trouble if you go hunting for the wild version instead of hunting some farmer's pigs, though. This discussion reminds me of a dish we have here in Finland. It is called "Hunter's Cutlet" and it consists of a pig cutlet with a mushroom sauce. Very delicious, but I've always thought it hilarious that the poor hunter couldn't catch anything else but a pig.

15. 2metraninja

LOL, you are right, boar is the wild cousin of the domesticated pigs. I need some sleep...

16. SilentConfusion

SilentConfusion Emperor

At first I thought you were going to say "I need some sheep..."

17. Caledorn

Caledorn Emperor

:lol:

18. Maga_R

Maga_R Has quit civ

Now it is even worse for me, I will be thinking about the monkeys :(

But fortunately cities can be renamed. What about Abhi or Abheek? These are male names of Sanskrit origin, meaning "fearless", rather fitting. :D

19. Maga_R

Maga_R Has quit civ

I like Hamsafar, elegant world and interesting meaning. If the name of the city will be too complicate we will end up using first part of it only or acronyms like LA for Los Angeles:(

20. Maga_R

Maga_R Has quit civ

Very nice idea, theoretically. I do hope we are not considering it seriously ;-) It also has a flaw, I think name of the cities will also change on the map, so somebody looking at both map and EP screen would quickly figured out what is going on.