1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

New Beta Version - June 14th (6/14)

Discussion in 'Community Patch Project' started by Gazebo, Jun 14, 2018.

1. Stalker0

Stalker0 Baller Magnus

So their durability has doubled:)

I am not saying this isn’t the right path, but we shouldn’t kid ourselves it’s a big big change.

Being able to fire at a horseman because I know I can take the hit is a big deal. Of course we will see if it’s balanced as we play

vyyt likes this.
  2. Gazebo

Gazebo Lord of the Community Patch Supporter

Not exactly, as their power diminishes after being struck, so they're more powerful equal to the amount of CS I added to them. Taking two hits != double durability, as a 5 HP archer offers puny stopping power. If anything ranged units can be a bit more of a liability now, as it's harder to instagib one and toss a melee unit into a bad position (this really, really hurt the AI before).

G

3. wobuffet

wobuffet Barbarian

Yeah, this change definitely figures to make things harder for me as a human player. Which I think is a good thing!

4. documental

documental Chieftain

This isn't related to this particular version, but what are some thoughts when it comes to strategic resources? I find Iron in particular to be in a funny spot.

That's because it isn't hard to get 12 or more iron with just a few cities as you can find tiles that go upwards of 7. All the same though you can just as easily wind up with 0. Such is the nature of random map generation. However I do believe iron is the most prone to appearing in clusters (outside of coal that is, which can appear literally everywhere) and can be an issue for aluminum and uranium, which isn't so much the issue of clusters but more the issue of an entire continent not having a single source of it. But that's... yeah. Thankfully though iron isn't actually that big a deal because for the first half of the game it's only ever used by one unit (swordsman -> longswordsman -> cannon). Often times you have more iron then you need. Then I reach cruiser and minefield and all of a sudden I can't have enough of it. You need a lot if you want to be a dominant naval power. Unlike other resources iron has a considerable time gap between when it's first introduced, and when you unlock it's full repertoire of uses. There's aluminum too but that's a short period of time very late in the game and there's a building for that. Now I believe some time back the catapult and trebuchet also use to use iron, creating a split like horses had. IIRC back then the frigate also used iron and the tank as well?

I'm not suggesting we go back to any of that. If I had to guess that siege line change in particular was probably done to help make nice with the AI. All I'm saying is given the current balance if any resource was deserving of having a building, or a policy, or anything that generates an external source of it... It's iron. One thing I think is worth looking at is the hexxon refinery. Extra oil is nice. You need it for 5 frigging things. Coal however, well that coal wonder is (ok) if you aren't militaristic, but because there is usually so much coal on the map and due to their (thankfully) being a building to generate some if you are unlucky enough to not spawn near any, that the extra coal from this corporation on top of any other policies you may have picked often times can serve no further purpose other then to be a trade commodity. I wouldn't doubt it if that was in some way intentional. It's just the transition between switching out siege units for naval feels odd, and probably doesn't do the AI any favors either.

5. randomnub

randomnub Prince

civwonder.png

:dunno:

Bromar1 and Owlbebach like this.
  6. Hosannah

Hosannah Chieftain

I created a modpack with the latest version and had no isses whatsoever. Maybe there's a problem with your installation somehow? Sorry, I know this is not really helpful, just pointing out the possibility.

7. wistak

wistak Chieftain

Modpack works well this error are showing only in fireturner when multiplayer mod workaround is enabled. And G says its normal

8. Hosannah

Hosannah Chieftain

Oh ok, got it. I've never seen these but then again I've never really looked through the output/log that's created in firetuner during the modpack creation. I only check for the "Done!" at the end of the last line.

9. pza

pza Prince

10. Mauro Mezzina

Mauro Mezzina Chieftain

I guess because india gets free pantheon, but still build Stonehenge?

11. tu_79

tu_79 Deity

If you like strategic resources to be limiting, which I do, check scarce resources when creating the game. Sometimes you are able to produce only 2 swordsman, or just 4 horseman for your whole empire in a big time. Even in the late game, you can't rely on battlecruisers. But if you are lacking iron, problably you have plenty of other things, so you must change your army composition and bear with it. The game is not much more difficult, as other civs face the same scarcity than the player. If any, it's easier for the human player that knows how to adapt.

lordrune likes this.
  12. Enginseer

Enginseer Salientia of the Community Patch Supporter

Gets to deny someone else a stonehenge. ;)

13. peterw1987

peterw1987 Prince

14. Iamblichos

Iamblichos Prince

Isn't your second tier ranged unit fairly late in the tech tree? second tier classical era? That means you gotta ride out an archer for a while. That seems balanced to me. Same goes for Crossbowman. You get high powered mounted and melee units before that ranged unit.

15. Stalker0

Stalker0 Baller Magnus

So now I put on my dunce cap. I always thought ranged units damage was not impacted by their health...or at least not to a great extent. Is this incorrect?

16. Txurce

Txurce Deity

My happiness just dipped to -6. It has yet to hot -10. But on t202, barbarians raided one of my border cities (not the neighboring CS). The notification did not mention unhappiness as a source. I don't recall if this is normal or not...?

17. Bromar1

Bromar1 King

Eh, if you're in a position to be rushing ancient wonders as India, I'd rather deny Temple of Artemis or pretty much any other wonder. The opportunity cost is just too high for little benefit. Every wonder can be denied but just because you can doesn't mean you should

saamohod likes this.
  18. Gazebo

Gazebo Lord of the Community Patch Supporter

It affects them yes.

G

19. 1-CityWonder

1-CityWonder Chieftain

Does this mean intercepting fighters/bombers? Last game I played through on 5/20 version ran into issues with my fighters and anti-aircraft units not doing anything to stop enemy bombers. I had several Jet Fighters and SAM units in direct proximity but the AI tore through my units with WW2-era bombers. There was never any notice that any interception damage occurred. I also used my fighters to attack AI's SAM units and took minuscule damage.

20. ModsFan

ModsFan Chieftain

Loving the Jaguar Warrior change!

Gokudo01 and Mauro Mezzina like this.