New NESes, ideas, development, etc

Discussion in 'Never Ending Stories' started by das, Jul 15, 2005.

1. Israelite9191

Israelite9191 You should be reading

Mod discretion. ;) Basically, it comes down to a combination of official agreements (Celtic Reformed Bloc alliance, Chagatai-Lahore alliance, East Asian tributary systems, royal marriages, and the like), past relations (such as who was on what side of the German War of Religion), and various diplomatic events.[/QUOTE]

North King is quite right. In OTL basically every country in Europe employed the Swiss, but the Swiss refused to fight each other on the battlefield.

@Stormbringer: Minimalist in extremis, precisely my cup of tea, particularly for a fresh start.

2. Supermath

Supermath A Circle Has No End

Come to think about it, would NoP NES II make for a good place to start? Obviously, there'd be some changes (Houston was barely a town back then, for example), but for the most part would this work?

3. Dachs

Dachs Hero of the Soviet Union

The 1880s are indeed a nice time to start a NES. :mischief:

4. Supermath

Someone didn't see the post that was quoting. I'm just looking for a map to use to get an idea of what cities should be ECs.

5. Dachs

Ah. Take a gander at the population charts of world cities, for example in Europe, noting how fast some of them grew during the interval between 1861 and the 1880s, and judge from that. :crazyeye:

6. Supermath

Well, I'd assume that there'd be some sort of discrepancy between population and importance. Also, it would also be nice to know about how many ECs I should have.

7. North King

North King blech

Have ECs give different number of eco points. Paris giving the same bonus as Krakow doesn't make any sense, but both should give a bonus.

Not that that answers your question. I'd say, make a preliminary map, post it, and ask for criticism. Another method is using GDP figures.

8. Supermath

How would it be represented though? My one thought is to make red equal to 1, orange 2, and up to blue as 5, though that might start to get a bit confusing.

9. North King

North King blech

Yes, especially as the other colors are generally accepted to mean other things with many NESes. Color intensity (light red shading to dark red) is another option, though that means you'll have to basically give up one whole color in map drawing. You could use a combination of this and city shape (4x4 squares give more points than the fat cross), but your options there run out quickly. I think I'd simply list in the stats where income comes from, even though that might get tedious.

10. das

das Regeneration In Process

I'm not sure if official state relations would have that much influence on the decisions of mercenaries, except in cases when it means actively assisting a current enemy of one's country against it. Other than that, I would think personal ties and maybe cultural ties and contacts would be much more influential (I mean, this isn't the Age of Nationalism). For instance, by this model, wouldn't the Swiss have better relations with France than with the Habsburgs?

11. Supermath

Okay, since Google appears to be failing me, is there a site that lists cities by population for certain years?

12. Dachs

populstat.info does, with associated reservations about city sizes outside of Europe and America.

13. Disenfrancised

Disenfrancised Beep Beep

Military! :)

14. jalapeno_dude

jalapeno_dude AKA Panda Judo Eel

No one else has posted? Really? Then I'll take a crack at it.

Not élan? ;)
    [rant]Really? A scale? Haven't we moved past that? Do I really need to point out that it's stupid when you're running a monarchy and your level is at Citizens, or a society in feudalism and your level is at Free Men? Please, just make it a descriptor and ditch the scale, or at least make the word levels actually imply higher willingness to enlist and nothing else. Please.[/rant]

Does the sum of all maintenance costs add up to the Military Maintenance stat, or are there hidden costs involved as well?

Is that second part equivalent to espionage? If so, shouldn't that really be a separate stat (the CIA is not a branch of the Pentagon)? If not, shouldn't there be a stat for your espionage services?

What about beyond Long Range? The KSFN could clearly send troops to Africa if it really wanted, so what is Long Range the cut-off for? The point at which you need to spend extra political capital, or something like that?

For what time-frame? The KSFN produces 5 months of supplies internally--per year, per month, per decade?

Levels again. Can someone who wasn't conscripted be at Conscript training? Can a Veteran never have fought? See? Silly.

Does that mean Long Range, or the literal meaning of that statement? See above.

Doesn't appear to be listed for fleets. I assume that's an oversight? Ships need people too!

Cool idea. I approve.

[/QUOTE]

You're not using QJM? Can you talk about the reason why not? k1, k2, etc. indicate constants, right? And shouldn't leadership be taken into account somewhere in there?

15. Symphony D.

Symphony D. Deity

Retroactive deletion.

16. Disenfrancised

Disenfrancised Beep Beep

Yeah there certainly no different in willingness to fight in the Crimean War between Russian Serfs and Anglo-French subjects now was there? Who the heck says changing this level is going to be at all easy - this is not an early das NES where you can spend an EP to make your men more willing to fight? You can make it a descriptor if you like, just imagine the line without the hyphens :p

Yeah they all add up to the require military maintenance.

The Civilian Intelligence Agency is not a branch of the pentagon, and espionage will be under the 'Research' section.

Military Action<Short Range: This is easy.
    Short Range<Military Action<Long Range: This is much more expensive and will put your troops under greater strain.
    Long Range<Military Action: This will be hugely expensive and probably fail and your stupid for trying it ;).

Note one thing I did forget to mention is that you can use an allies supply system and thus operate very well in the their core even if its beyond long range for you normally (this makes courting smaller powers generally very useful).

Brigades can go anywhere you navy can since they are small forces separate from the main logistics train (for a deployment through land they use your Long Range stat). Thus a blue water navy can land a brigade anywhere but not an army.

Each ship type will require a certain number of men to operate - when they are moved from the reserve to active service they will take that from the Main Pool - somewhat inelegant but good enough I feel :p.

k's are always konstant.

You mean why not use a QJM, specifically Dupuy's QJM, since technically any numeric model, including this one, is a Quantified Judgment Method. And in answer to that what I've outline should be similar to it in principle: note the Unit Firepower (Infantry Weapons) and Support Firepower (Artillery weapons)* and so on which will certainly be nicked from Dupuy. The reasons I'm not using the actual QJM are a) because I have little interest in explicitly working out the full ~40 Dupuy inputs for every fricking engagement (I ain't Daft) and so wanted a simplified model that uses the stats I already have, and b) Since this is a simulative rather than predictive model I've a clean conscious about throwing out a bunch of functions for a stochastic input.

*Different names were used in the post as I had forgotten what Dupuy called them.

17. Luckymoose

Luckymoose The World is Mine

That doesn't meant they have any training beyond that of a recruit or conscript. Pretty sure he Veteran in this sense means someone who has seen many battles and learned from them. Something that cannot be purchased.

18. Symphony D.

Symphony D. Deity

Retroactive deletion.

19. Supermath

Okay, this is what I have for ECs. I probably added a few too many, but better too many than too few. Any major problems as far as you can tell (I probably made India overpowered, though that's just me)?

Spoiler :

20. North King

North King blech

No, India is right relative to England. Should be about equal, with the balance slowly shifting to England as time goes on.