New Official Version - October 7th (10-7)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel the impact of faster research (playing on large) and I don't like it (the feel of it). Standard speed feels way to fast now (felt a bit fast before this). I don't understand why this had to meddled with, but then there wouldn't be any progress without meddling with stuff either. :)

I wrapped up a very enjoyable Egyptian game - one thing I noticed was a lack in terrain improvements in the earlier eras.

20201013201456_1.jpg

Playing on emperor difficulty, so the AI enjoys boni both to the production of workers as to their improvement speed. Still I feel they have to few workers employed.

On a tactical side, AI got better to protect its workers and will retreat them earlier. However they won't rescue them after capture as aggressively as a human opponent would.
Diplomatically speaking, in three instances an AI friend choose to not free my workers from barbs, rather he kept them from themselves. Not a big issue, yet if stance is friendly, why not reap the benefit of the good action?

Regards
XSamatan

I forgot to add that although playing on King, I do adjust the AI to select the best options for buildings/tech/policies in the difficulty.xml, so that does play a factor in the AI's performance being better than standard King. My bad in forgetting to include that in my initial post, but I've played with these settings for a long time and have never noticed a leaderboard like this on King regardless of the boost I give them.
How does one go about this?

I had a game where ALL AI's went progress (could have been a king game).
There are the occasional policy runaway.
The research speed feels very fast (emperor epic), I wouldnt mind a 10% higher cost.
I agree that spain needs a rework.

About faster techs I like the change. Nothing major imho. Beside it helps speeding up games that I already won (or lost).

Playing on Emperor/Epic at the moment after 5 games on Standard and it seems sluggish: it was a long time that I declared with Spearmen and Archers to harass a neighbour.

Maybe the runaways will become a nuisance (I got Ethiopia and Halle if left unchecked will skyrocket) but the ogres in Damascus are already heaten up the forge. I'll begin the wars very soon.

AIs went tradition (Austria, Portugal), authority (Askia, Shaka, Caesar) and progress (Ethiopia). Amazing start with Grand Mesa and Sri pada in my reach.

Heavy modded playthrough: 3/4UC, EAW, ENW, More wonders, better lakes on a Pangea map. Tried starting with Communitu but no matter what parameters i set it gives me vast oceans, scattered lands and isolated starts. Nothing playable for my taste.

No ruins, no events, no tech trading, raging barbs.

About faster techs I like the change. Nothing major imho. Beside it helps speeding up games that I already won (or lost).

Playing on Emperor/Epic at the moment after 5 games on Standard and it seems sluggish: it was a long time that I declared with Spearmen and Archers to harass a neighbour.

Maybe the runaways will become a nuisance (I got Ethiopia and Halle if left unchecked will skyrocket) but the ogres in Damascus are already heaten up the forge. I'll begin the wars very soon.

AIs went tradition (Austria, Portugal), authority (Askia, Shaka, Caesar) and progress (Ethiopia). Amazing start with Grand Mesa and Sri pada in my reach.

Heavy modded playthrough: 3/4UC, EAW, ENW, More wonders, better lakes on a Pangea map. Tried starting with Communitu but no matter what parameters i set it gives me vast oceans, scattered lands and isolated starts. Nothing playable for my taste.

No ruins, no events, no tech trading, raging barbs.
Even with low sea levels, one ocean, no circumnavigation and low scattering you won't get a pangea map. If you want such, you can modify settings by hand. Relevant values are landpercent and maxscattering, you can find them at the top of the script.
Our suggested values are intended to make naval relevant.

@tu_79. I like the resource allocation of Communitu but I want more land. Something like Continents plus. The Navy is still a good addition even on Pangea due to the many cities founded on coast.

I tried with blocky, one rift wide and low sea level but still on many tries I spawned on a island or a stretched peninsula. Could you suggest a good comprimise for landpercent and maxscattering so I can modify to get more space ?

Communitu_79a its's a great map if you want focus on Navy or if you decide for Carthage or Denmark.

I'm really struggling now. I feel like something has been changed, which has thrown off the game altogether. The Science vs Production balance seems to be off, and my cities are far behind on building basic infrastructure, even as I'm consistently behind the AI leaders in terms of techs. Which means my cities are very unhappy, even thought 100% of their production has gone towards just their own needs, and I've invested a lot of gold in them. And I basically have a shoestring army, only 1 unit per city. I've only produced a couple of diplomatic units and a few wonders. I don't have a particular production starved spot.

I think science needs to take a bit longer, as even on Epic it is whizzing by. And production costs need to be lowered a bit.

I don't see any problem with production, but science was off before, especially mid-late game, very large amounts of instant yields. It's faster now. I think that techs costs should be raised and may be banks should not provide science on purchases. And bulbing GS should definitely give much less science

@tu_79. I like the resource allocation of Communitu but I want more land. Something like Continents plus. The Navy is still a good addition even on Pangea due to the many cities founded on coast.

I tried with blocky, one rift wide and low sea level but still on many tries I spawned on a island or a stretched peninsula. Could you suggest a good comprimise for landpercent and maxscattering so I can modify to get more space ?

Communitu_79a its's a great map if you want focus on Navy or if you decide for Carthage or Denmark.
Increase landpercent to maybe 10% more, and reduce scattering by 25% if you want to see really blocky shapes.

Same. The amount the land to water ratio needs to be shifted. Also find too many large landmasses of hill/mountain tundra.

I like the general generation of Communitu79, it just needs more useable land by default. (sure I could play with the settings and might gain closer to this)

I upped tech costs overall in my game and I'll see how that goes.

I do think fast tech in the late game is less of an issue. The change of pace keeps things moving and adds some urgency. Although I haven't gotten there too often, and not at all so far in this patch (busy lately)

Re: techs, with the cost changes we made (relative to the % changes per city and map size), tech costs and average game speed changed very little, if at all.

G

That might be true, but that's not how it feels. I might be sensitive, but the game feels completely out of sync. Might be an question of adaptation; thus getting used to it with time... But for now I'll have a break from playing since I'm quite put off by it.

If I had seen the need for this change it might had been easier to accept.

Anyways, nice beta still. For some reason I'm having some real issues with barbs in this one. :)

Re: techs, with the cost changes we made (relative to the % changes per city and map size), tech costs and average game speed changed very little, if at all.

G

Its probably us Epic speeders who are still reeling from the previous patch(es) where epic scaling was fixed.
Faster AI tech speed also drives all players techspeed because of spies and caravans.

That might be true, but that's not how it feels. I might be sensitive, but the game feels completely out of sync. Might be an question of adaptation; thus getting used to it with time... But for now I'll have a break from playing since I'm quite put off by it.

If I had seen the need for this change it might had been easier to accept.

Anyways, nice beta still. For some reason I'm having some real issues with barbs in this one. :)

Breaks not needed, simply adjust values in the CBO til you find what you like. Mouthfeel is most important, so if epic speed players feel an adjustment is needed we can do that
easiest way to adjust is to simply adjust the gamespeed tech modifier.

Breaks not needed, simply adjust values in the CBO til you find what you like. Mouthfeel is most important, so if epic speed players feel an adjustment is needed we can do that
easiest way to adjust is to simply adjust the gamespeed tech modifier.

Code:
-- Change Tech Costs (from CEP):

UPDATE Technologies SET Cost =      60 WHERE GridX =  1; --35
UPDATE Technologies SET Cost =     100 WHERE GridX =  2; --55
UPDATE Technologies SET Cost =     125 WHERE GridX =  3; --105
UPDATE Technologies SET Cost =     225 WHERE GridX =  4; --175
UPDATE Technologies SET Cost =     350 WHERE GridX =  5; --275
UPDATE Technologies SET Cost =     600 WHERE GridX =  6; --485
UPDATE Technologies SET Cost =    1000 WHERE GridX =  7; --780
UPDATE Technologies SET Cost =    1500 WHERE GridX =  8; --1150
UPDATE Technologies SET Cost =    2500 WHERE GridX =  9; --1600
UPDATE Technologies SET Cost =    3500 WHERE GridX = 10; --2350
UPDATE Technologies SET Cost =    5200 WHERE GridX = 11; --3100
UPDATE Technologies SET Cost =    6500 WHERE GridX = 12; --4100
UPDATE Technologies SET Cost =    7900 WHERE GridX = 13; --5100
UPDATE Technologies SET Cost =    9000 WHERE GridX = 14; --6400
UPDATE Technologies SET Cost =   10000 WHERE GridX = 15; --7700
UPDATE Technologies SET Cost =   11100 WHERE GridX = 16; --8800
UPDATE Technologies SET Cost =   12200 WHERE GridX = 17; --9500
UPDATE Technologies SET Cost =   13500 WHERE GridX = 18; --NEW!
UPDATE Technologies SET Cost =   15000 WHERE GridX = 19; --NEW!

-- Speed Change
UPDATE GameSpeeds SET ResearchPercent = 300 WHERE Type = 'GAMESPEED_MARATHON';
UPDATE GameSpeeds SET ResearchPercent = 175 WHERE Type = 'GAMESPEED_EPIC';

These are my values for epic on a huge map, seems to do what I want (date of inventions roughly matching the real world).

I really enjoy where this project is going, things like tech costs are minor balance issues - shows how polished this mod already has become!

Kind regards
XSamatan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom