New Version - April 30th (4/30)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tithes show up in the capital, so they will affect happiness there, but not the rest of the empire. Inspiration is on a per-city basis, so will benefit all cities.

He probably meant Thrift.
Yeah, that. My brain messed up the names.

I wonder if runaway religions, that got to spread unopposed (say on a continent with two other civs that didn't found), might've played a small role in needs. Probably a smaller impact than my imagination is considering (might've pushed the overall average 10% or so?). Either way, the extra religion per map size should lower the amount of religions that get to easily spread, which, depending on beliefs chosen, could also play into the frequency of an AI snowball.

Yeah, that. My brain messed up the names.

I wonder if runaway religions, that got to spread unopposed (say on a continent with two other civs that didn't found), might've played a small role in needs. Probably a smaller impact than my imagination is considering (might've pushed the overall average 10% or so?). Either way, the extra religion per map size should lower the amount of religions that get to easily spread, which, depending on beliefs chosen, could also play into the frequency of an AI snowball.

I'm inclined to agree with this thought. I tend to play with overloaded maps with an above average number of civs and I never saw any of the 'unhappiness issues' everyone else pointed out in the last few versions. I beleive that in my case this could be because since I play with more civs the 'global average' gets more normalized sicne instead of 8 civs with 3 runaways and 1 or 2 fall behinds, I instead have 22 civs with 4 runaways and maybe 3 fall behinds. So the average is more 'average' in my games as a result.

Good point. I've seen median mentioned a few times. Just that it's been so long since math + I'm not using the terms with any real frequency that I forgot about the distinction. I'm too young for my mind to be going already, lmao.

Also, runaways have been around for awhile (same with the religion count) and it was just recently that people were seeing spikes at certain eras.

never heard back from Ilteroi but from what i can see regarding fortify he just cut the bonus in half (40 to 20) and broke the functionality and modability of a couple vanilla global defines for all CP users. apparently in exchange, players who hit the space bar instead of using F can get the new reduced bonus.

as is, would appear to be a misstep and also an overreach of removing vanilla features from the CP needlessly over VP balance concerns. not looking good

I'm playing a game where I have 16 cities in progress in the Renaissance. I'm at war, winning and with no war weariness. Happiness is -6 or so, and I'm doing well financially. Sweden declares war on me, costing me one luxury. Next turn I'm at -43 unhappiness, have zero in my treasury, am at -66gpt, and have a unit disbanded.

I don't think this large and immediate a swing should happen without an obvious, equally large and immediate a change in circumstances.

Poverty is still a bit to hard to manage in this version (playing immortall level). I think Stock Exchange buidling should have poverty reducing like - 30%. Now this building is too expensive for so little gold income.

Poverty is still a bit to hard to manage in this version (playing immortall level). I think Stock Exchange buidling should have poverty reducing like - 30%. Now this building is too expensive for so little gold income.

I cannot think of a less appropriate building for lowering unhappiness from poverty.

Except maybe prisons.

Only one sensible alternative. New soup kitchen building, reduces poverty needs by 50%

For realz tho. Increasing luxury happiness would offset this issue, maybe enough that it wouldn’t actually be a problem. I think that’s a bigger issue

I'm playing a game where I have 16 cities in progress in the Renaissance. I'm at war, winning and with no war weariness. Happiness is -6 or so, and I'm doing well financially. Sweden declares war on me, costing me one luxury. Next turn I'm at -43 unhappiness, have zero in my treasury, am at -66gpt, and have a unit disbanded.
Isn't this from global median changes for happiness?

A few quotes from G in the 14 Jan patch briefly touched on it. But I'm not the person to be able to explain it well. Although, I don't know how much of a swing is acceptable or not. -43 from -6 is a 37 point change, so something definitely occured between those turns.

https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/new-version-january-14th-1-14.561496/page-4#post-14129938

Happiness fluctuation is partially intentional (and is a byproduct of having the entire system run off of a global median model). Without any variability, happiness becomes a very static part of your empire. Fluctuations in global productivity, gold, etc. can all affect happiness.
G

It's based on a median, however changes in your empire (tile shifts, tech increase, etc.) can all factor into that. The median is graded so that it can only change so much in a turn. It's working correctly.
G

In one of my games there was a city state with 2 barbarian camps nearby, which refused to spawn the barbarian clearing mission for 20-25 turns (epic speed)

never heard back from Ilteroi but from what i can see regarding fortify he just cut the bonus in half (40 to 20) and broke the functionality and modability of a couple vanilla global defines for all CP users. apparently in exchange, players who hit the space bar instead of using F can get the new reduced bonus.

as is, would appear to be a misstep and also an overreach of removing vanilla features from the CP needlessly over VP balance concerns. not looking good

i'm a little disappointed here too; the no-move trigger and icon update are nice, but the new binary bonus makes the battlefield a little flatter imo. didnt really strike me as broken in AI's hands before

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom