New Version - October 28th (10/28)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Really? I thought that the amount of hammers GE provides depends on the population of the city where it spawns and isn't influenced by the number of previous wonders. I'll check and report back!

The cost of wonders depends on the number of wonders you have (of that era?), not the GP hammers. (result the same to all intensive porpoises)

Hi. I was wondering whether it's possible to code the AI so that when it has a great engineer available and the Leaning tower (or Red fort) hasn't been built yet, that it should pop the engineer to construct it? I mean, you can use the wonder for a free engineer in any case, so the AI wouldn't be any worse. I've just had a game where Carthage built the Red Fort, but then didn't build the Leaning tower, allowing me to build it. I can't see any benefit for the AI to not use the great engineer in such a situation to build the Leaning tower...

If great people aren't Dido's focus, there's not much benefit to building the leaning tower. Also wonders increase in cost for each other wonder you have. I find it better to skip wonders that aren't suited to my plans and wait for wonders I do want so that their build cost doesn't balloon out of control

Awesome, thnx for the replies, I was unaware that the Wonder costs go up. Do you maybe know the formula/by how much?

till renaisance they can be insta builded by GE, but since renaisance-eternity, they usually build just half of it(even without wonder of same era already built). purchase with full industrial + GE always do the job( if you havent mediocre production in that city)

till renaisance they can be insta builded by GE, but since renaisance-eternity, they usually build just half of it(even without wonder of same era already built). purchase with full industrial + GE always do the job( if you havent mediocre production in that city)

Good to know.

Sir Gazebo, I can't find any reason why I use ranged units rather than siege units recently. Because there is no big difference between ranged and siege unit after mechanism change. So I suggest that promotion change to make them different like wounded/friendly territory bonus damage for ranged and cities/enemy territory bonus damage for siege. It will make ranged units more useful on defending situations, and siege on offending situations.

You meant pre-cannons siege units? Because afterwards ranged ships and siege units require iron, while normal ranged units - do not. Trebuchets kinda outperform crossbows for sure, but what are you gonna do upon switching to cannons and not have enough iron for upgrading both Galleass and Trebs?

You meant pre-cannons siege units? Because afterwards ranged ships and siege units require iron, while normal ranged units - do not. Trebuchets kinda outperform crossbows for sure, but what are you gonna do upon switching to cannons and not have enough iron for upgrading both Galleass and Trebs?
So...now siege units are swordsman-like units (which are stronger but consume iron) of ranged units? If so, I am in favor of present circumstance.

What were the stats of the Harappan Reservoir before this patch?

What were the stats of the Harappan Reservoir before this patch?

Here's what the Harappan Reservoir had prior to this version:

+3 Food, +2 Production. Carries over 20% of Food after City growth. +1 Production from Flood Plains and +1 Food from Farms. +1 Food on Lakes. Reduces Poverty Slightly.

Sir Gazebo, I can't find any reason why I use ranged units rather than siege units recently. Because there is no big difference between ranged and siege unit after mechanism change. So I suggest that promotion change to make them different like wounded/friendly territory bonus damage for ranged and cities/enemy territory bonus damage for siege. It will make ranged units more useful on defending situations, and siege on offending situations.

Siege units are really, really slow in enemy territory. No defensive bonus from terrain.

Agree that siege outshines archers right now, though. Giving archers access to a few more promotions/promotion chains would fix that. Survivalism, for example. Woodsman. That sort of thing.

Siege units are really, really slow in enemy territory. No defensive bonus from terrain.

Agree that siege outshines archers right now, though. Giving archers access to a few more promotions/promotion chains would fix that. Survivalism, for example. Woodsman. That sort of thing.

Yeah I agree, as it is, Siege units seems to have more and better abilities, like that +50% against fortified/cities thing which Archers lack (which probably is a good thing). Survivalism would make them too tanky though, but Woodsman or March or +1 Move would be okay. As it is only the earliest archer is useful (except for UUs) for an early rush and further Archery-line units I only use if I dp an early game rush and level them up a lot, especially if they used to be Scouts. Like in my current Rome game, I'm really not going to abandon my level 11 Composite who can also traverse rough terrain. He hits like a truck, has lots of promos and is very mobile.

I mean, almost every game I take someone out with 5 archers and 3 warriors or so pre-mathematics. I like the idea of giving archers access to some better promotions, though you could also increase the hammer cost of siege units to balance a bit.

I mean, almost every game I take someone out with 5 archers and 3 warriors or so pre-mathematics. I like the idea of giving archers access to some better promotions, though you could also increase the hammer cost of siege units to balance a bit.

Why buff them if they work so well already?

Not speaking to you directly, but why do they have to be equal to siege units, anyway? They serve increasingly different purposes as the game progresses.

Yeah I agree, as it is, Siege units seems to have more and better abilities, like that +50% against fortified/cities thing which Archers lack (which probably is a good thing). Survivalism would make them too tanky though, but Woodsman or March or +1 Move would be okay. As it is only the earliest archer is useful (except for UUs) for an early rush and further Archery-line units I only use if I dp an early game rush and level them up a lot, especially if they used to be Scouts. Like in my current Rome game, I'm really not going to abandon my level 11 Composite who can also traverse rough terrain. He hits like a truck, has lots of promos and is very mobile.
I agree with that they shouldn't be tanky, but don't with giving more mobility because there are already mounted archery units. They must have different purposes in game imo. And I think it can be realized by making them have different battle efficiency.

Not speaking to you directly, but why do they have to be equal to siege units, anyway? They serve increasingly different purposes as the game progresses.
It is not since their mechanism change. You can almost replace them with Siege units and it works extremely well. If you can't believe, please try it.

I think the main role for archers is to provide cover for melee, they weaken front enemy lines from behind and heal wounded friends. Siege units can do the same, but do more damage and are a little less effective in enemy lands (less movement, but better siege damage). I see that it's difficult to assign different roles properly.
As for now, the only supporting ability for early ranged units is healing (also available for most units), while siege units have access to Volley promotion (more damage against fortified units and cities).

This is not the place to discuss this, but ...

Some ideas to make archers more valuable without turning them into killing machines:
-Archers heal better than other units (reduce melee healing promotion or increase ranged healing promotion)
-Add other supporting abilities/promotions for ranged, like:
--Arrow rain - less damage but takes away 1 movement point from hitten unit (it's more difficult to move when under a rain of arrows).
--Cover fire - increase adjacent melee defense bonus (enemy melee approach with fear).
--Logistics - Grant +1 MP to melee adjacent units.
And remove other promotions that don't fit the role.

Or perhaps make ranged stronger against some unit types:
-extra damage against garnisons and/or ignore terrain defensive bonus (aim promotion)
-extra damage against wooden boats and wooden siege units (fire arrows promotion)
While making siege units weaker against most units (they are more scary than the damage they actually do, except against walls and trenches).

I played 400+turns. The AI's great diplomat sometimes prefer being spent directly than constructing embassy. Should constructing embassy is top priority?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom