Next patch anticipation thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not a modder, but I know they want the SDK. I believe having it publicly available will allow modders to make mods better and easier.
An SDK is a standardised set of tools and programs Not just to help develop something but also provides the standard build environment so you do not get compatibility issues. For example to develop sun java you use the Sun (oracle yuk) sdk and to develop IBM (yuk) java use the IBM JAVA SDK. If you try and develop without the SDK you will have bugs and crashes a lot easier

not sure about "d" in thie present development, in the last weeks only a-b-c qa-s were refreshed...

Yes. They have only been using 3 of the 4 beta builds this time around. I have no idea how to interpret that though.

Another interesting change is that previous 2K QA build updates were all in the afternoon (on the east coast). Today's was in the morning.

Speaking of it:

I once worked for a public municipality with a gang of other no-hopers,
doing things like building concrete gutters along the sides of roads,
tidying up parks etc.

However, most of the time we spent leaning on our shovels and looking
to the heavens for signs of rain so we could run back to the main shed
and play cards for the rest of the day.

Gedemon - are you leaning on a garden implement of any sort at the moment?

The way Firaxis deals with its most loyal fans (here on civfanatics) is something to learn from. Don't communicate at all and let them fans guess what is happening, as they will be foolish enough to buy all DLCs and expansions anyway.

As long as i have enough time to finish my game. It's only 3 1/2 modules left!

If you are concerned that an upcoming patch might ruin a game you have in progress, then you can go into Steam and turn off updates for Civ VI (but you have to do this before the patch drops) and when you finish the game turn updates back on.

If you are concerned that an upcoming patch might ruin a game you have in progress, then you can go into Steam and turn off updates for Civ VI (but you have to do this before the patch drops) and when you finish the game turn updates back on.
Thanks, but I took some extra time to finish it just now... just in case. :D

The way Firaxis deals with its most loyal fans (here on civfanatics) is something to learn from. Don't communicate at all and let them fans guess what is happening, as they will be foolish enough to buy all DLCs and expansions anyway.

Each company deals with their fans in a unique way :) I follow 3 games: civ 6, stellaris and street fighter 5, and each company has a different philosophy when it comes to PR:

Paradox: Communicate with fans on a daily bases, releases sneak peaks on future content almost every two days, answer tweets in hours, comment on reddit about bugs they are looking into, etc.

Capcom: Day 1: announce a future announcement, no date given; Day 20: announce that they will communicate with fans every 2 months; Day 40: "We understand fans are frustrated with the lack of communication, so we will announce something very soon"; Day 41: info on new content is leaked; Day 60: leaked info is announced, to be released in an unspecified date.

Firaxis: Don't communicate.

Each company deals with their fans in a unique way :) I follow 3 games: civ 6, stellaris and street fighter 5, and each company has a different philosophy when it comes to PR:

Paradox: Communicate with fans on a daily bases, releases sneak peaks on future content almost every two days, answer tweets in hours, comment on reddit about bugs they are looking into, etc.

Capcom: Day 1: announce a future announcement, no date given; Day 20: announce that they will communicate with fans every 2 months; Day 40: "We understand fans are frustrated with the lack of communication, so we will announce something very soon"; Day 41: info on new content is leaked; Day 60: leaked info is announced, to be released in an unspecified date.

I also follow EA Bioware.
1. Devs keep up a constant stream of cryptic comments on Twitter for months or years.
2. Finally announce the product.
3. More cryptic comments
4. Survey is leaked and immediately misinterpreted
5. Sudden info dump
6. Game is released

what about information after launch. Firaxis got very 'communicative' just before launching the game and then stopped entirely.

Paradox and Capcom are their own publishers though, whereas Firaxis is bound to 2K. That makes a comparison between those 3 kiiiiinda moot. :p

what about information after launch. Firaxis got very 'communicative' just before launching the game and then stopped entirely.
EA Bioware usually gives a little heads up and detail for patches and DLC, but not until they are almost ready.

I'd guess 2K/Firaxis keep everyone in the shadows because no matter what info they release, people will rage about it, and heated discussions aren't very good marketing.

Not that it's acceptable, because if there's no communication from their part, then there's no feedback. Thus we'll rage because patches, expansions and DLCs don't fit our perceived needs.

upload_2017-2-14_8-8-59.png

I bet this is something serious - did they finish update...?

If there is a patch, I will hope that they fix the air unit issue. Strange things to say, but I actually wants to see some AI bombing. The game from the Modern Era and up just sad as it is now.
I agree. If they fix that then I'll start playing again. I have been a bit upset at Firaxis lately.

I'd guess 2K/Firaxis keep everyone in the shadows because no matter what info they release, people will rage about it, and heated discussions aren't very good marketing.

Not that it's acceptable, because if there's no communication from their part, then there's no feedback. Thus we'll rage because patches, expansions and DLCs don't fit our perceived needs.

Riot had this problem too, they just continued doing it until people were so accustomed to the new information that they stopped raging.

Their typical schedule:

Day 1: Huge patch goes onto the test server. Within a few hours comminity sites have digged up every single change. Developers are on the boards explaining everything (or making long posts beforehand with their reasoning already).
Day 2-13: Smaller patches onto test server, communication continues as it did on day 1. Weekends excluded.
Day 14: Experiemental and (sometimes) unpopular changes removed from test server. Communication continues as it has.
Day 15: Patch released. Also Day 1 of next cycle.
At other points: Twice per week answering some questions they often get. Roaming the forums addressing people asking about certain aspects of the game. Occasionally posting huge posts explaining what they're planning to change about a game aspect (typically done some one or two months in advance of reaching the test server).

Imo every company should do it like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom