NRA is for banning the sale of guns

Pepper spray against people armed with guns? Get out of town.

I hate to break this to you, but the vast majority of self defense gun owners against the vast majority of criminals, even if the criminal isn't armed with a gun...they might as well have pepper spray.

Fights are won by the person least inhibited about hurting someone, not by the person who is best equipped. Always been true, always will be.

I'd argue they're both equally useless. Ideally the person who tries to rob doesn't have a gun either, but maybe that's just me.

That's ok, we find it a bit nutty you guys still recognize a queen.

I don't.

I don't doubt it because Canadian gun laws are the most liberal in the developed world behind the USA obviously. Your friend has it pretty good as far as gun nuttery is concerned. Though from what I've read, there are many states in the US that have even stricter laws and penalties than Canada.

Hell, Canadians can buy cheap brand new Chinese combat rifles like they're nothing. In the USA you'd go to prison for 10-20 years if caught with one. :mad: We're a little jelly....

Oh really..

I've had him show me a bunch of his guns before. He has everything locked up, and a lot of the guns themselves are chained up.. so to get to one, you need to open a locker, and then unlock another lock once you've done that. Then you need to go elsewhere and unlock something else to get the bullets.

His gun purchases are controlled quite a bit, there are background checks.. When he goes to the gun club, he has to package up his gun in a very specific way and is only allowed to drive to the gun club on a predetermined path. If he gets pulled over and has a gun on him and he's not on that predetermined route? That's a crime and he would probably lose his permits.

I'm not sure what else there was, but it seems incredibly restrictive.. yet safe for the rest of us up here.

American gun laws seem very lax compared to all that, but granted I don't know much about it other than what I hear on the news and in the media.

bhsup said:
Honestly, that's fine. I don't expect other countries to behave internally like we do, just as I expect other countries to not impose their views on us.

Oh, I was going for the universal nutty, not just a culture difference type of nutty that is perfectly fine from a local's point of view. :p

I expect people to not act nutty no matter what, even if each country and locale has its own ways of doing things. But as you know I'm very critical of a lot of things, so it is not intended to be taken personally.

I hate to break this to you, but the vast majority of self defense gun owners against the vast majority of criminals, even if the criminal isn't armed with a gun...they might as well have pepper spray.

Most of them might as well have had toy guns since most criminal encounters with victims in the USA who appear to be armed end up with the criminal running away/surrendering unharmed. I'd only be worried about the encounters that don't follow this assumption. Save the pepper spray for the dogs and bears...

I've had him show me a bunch of his guns before. He has everything locked up, and a lot of the guns themselves are chained up.. so to get to one, you need to open a locker, and then unlock another lock once you've done that. Then you need to go elsewhere and unlock something else to get the bullets.

I'd bet my safe is far more safer than Canadian redneck chickenwire.:mad: Some sane Muricans literally build basement bunkers to keep their guns from being pilfered.

When he goes to the gun club, he has to package up his gun in a very specific way and is only allowed to drive to the gun club on a predetermined path.

Same in my old state (NC).

His gun purchases are controlled quite a bit, there are background checks.

I have to go through one too every time at the gun store. NC. Including police BG checks and permits if it's a handgun.

NC is generally considered a liberal gun state.

If he gets pulled over and has a gun on him and he's not on that predetermined route? That's a crime and he would probably lose his permits.

Same for me :)

Canada is gun nut country I tell ya.

Most of them might as well have had toy guns since most criminal encounters with victims in the USA who appear to be armed end up with the criminal running away/surrendering unharmed.

Thanks for demonstrating that most criminals aren't really interested in hurting anyone. Criminals generally run away from me too (yes my lifestyle puts me in more contact with criminals than average). I have no problem standing up to people, and I don't have a gun. I'm just very able to get across the idea that I am as willing to hurt someone as anyone they are likely to have ever met.

By the way, even though I thanked you for it I'm pretty sure that was a made up statistic, and for the record if anyone ever tells me 'I have a gun' in a heated moment I take it as stating their willingness to play for the highest stakes and will immediately make my best effort to kill them before they can use it.

Since you saw fit to leave it out of the quote, I will repeat...

Fights are won by the person least inhibited about hurting someone, not by the person who is best equipped. Always been true, always will be.

And add...

Don't let a gun in your pocket make you think you are something you're not.

Thanks for demonstrating that most criminals aren't really interested in hurting anyone.

Well I kind of already stated that I was only interested (as far as lethal self-dense is concerned) in the ones who do want to hurt/kill me for whatever purpse. Hence why I don't shoot car salesmen or lawyers, politicians...

Ok, but wouldn tasers or pepper spray be sufficient for protection ? At least there's a lower chance of accidental killings, no collateral damage in the form of stray bullets, and less potential for intentional mass killings.
I'd argue they're both equally useless. Ideally the person who tries to rob doesn't have a gun either, but maybe that's just me.
And that's where your argument falls apart. Criminals, by nature, don't obey the law, and will continue to own/use a gun if it is to their advantage.

Yes you can, pretty much every amendment gets that treatment, yet somehow certain people treat this one as being superior to the others for no good reason whatsoever. It's incredible how many people can constantly ignore that every amendment has its limits.
Except I didn't ignore it. You should read what I wrote instead of going into some canned diatribe about the 2nd amendment. I specifically said we should be in the practice of NOT infringing people's rights if they aren't breaking society's rules, such as hurting others would be.

What is even more funny, is how many of the very people who defend the 2nd amendment to their death
Why is that funny? Sic semper tyrannis.

How can someone treat the 2nd amendment as holy while at the same time wanting to take away all the other rights from a person just because he did something terrible?
It's simply hypocritical. Either all rights are guaranteed or none, you can't just pick whatever you currently like.
What the hell are you talking about?
Rights are often surrendered when you are guilty of breaking society's rules.
This isn't new.

Apart from that, the 2nd amendment was never ever meant to be what its current defenders claim it to be. It wasn't about being able to carry a gun, and it sure as hell wasn't about being able to use weapons in self-defense.
Actually, it was... specifically self-defense from indians (or other enemies if you extrapolate that reasoning).
Read the Federalist papers.

On the contrary, the version which specifically mentioned self-defense was rejected and replaced with a version that left it out completely. If the founding fathers thought you were supposed to use a gun in such a capacity, they definately wouldn't have removed that sentence from the amendment, but they did.
*definitely

There were exactly two reasons why they wanted to allow the population to be armed:
a) to defend against an attack from a foreign power (e.g. England trying to get its land back), making it necessary to raise militias quickly.
b) to make sure that a central government wouldn't be able to take over the country through the use of a standing army.
What are you basing this limiting definition on?
Hunting? Hello.

This was reduced a short time later to just a), because they decided that the country was indeed better served by having a standing army.
Jesus, are you just completely making this up?

Today's position of the NRA is a joke that has nothing whatsoever to do with the original idea of the 2nd amendment.
Coming up with further reasons than your two is not a joke.
Your limit of 2 reasons is the joke.

"Land of the free", ha, it's the land of the scared, or paranoid, take your pick. No one who has to hide behind a gun out of constant fear over something is free, it's very much the opposite.
This is such a short-sighted thing to say.
So, taking steps to defend yourself and your family in case something goes bad is stupid?
Is it stupid to have some food stores and supplies on hand when you live in a hurricane zone?
Paranoid? Maybe, but that doesn't mean it is incorrect or stupid.

Guns are the great equalizer. They are the triumph of the thinking man over the brute.

And that's where your argument falls apart. Criminals, by nature, don't obey the law, and will continue to own/use a gun if it is to their advantage.

The old "they'll obtain the gun ilegally".
But how ? How does somebody get a gun illegally ? My guess is by buying illegally from somebody who first got it legally. Fewer opportunities to legally buy guns means far fewer opportunitites to resell them ilegally and fewer guns in the hands of criminals, unless they're willing to steal from a police station or military arsenal. And if stealing weaponry from the army has a reasonable chance of success your country has officially become a failed state.

To add to what Farm Boy said, if I own something, and I want to let someone use it, that's my business.
As I said above, if that is your point, then you should go after DRM, which are MUCH worse in this domain.
Also, I'd say that in this particular case, NO it's not only your business. It's a weapon, not a toy.

Also, I'd say that in this particular case, NO it's not only your business. It's a weapon, not a toy.

We empower our citizens with the right to own effective small scale weapons by default rather than forcing them to outsource the entirety of their fates in the worst of situations to the retributive punishments of the collective state. :dunno: Those rights can be taken away, and are taken away under shady circumstances, but it's a change from a licensing scheme that's some are more equal than others to a revoking scheme that's some are less equal than others.

The old "they'll obtain the gun ilegally".
But how ? How does somebody get a gun illegally ? My guess is by buying illegally from somebody who first got it legally. Fewer opportunities to legally buy guns means far fewer opportunitites to resell them ilegally and fewer guns in the hands of criminals, unless they're willing to steal from a police station or military arsenal. And if stealing weaponry from the army has a reasonable chance of success your country has officially become a failed state.
I know for a fact we've had this discussion before. I'll still address it.

Ok, in the USA, there are millions of guns in circulations, so even if the manufacture was suddenly stopped...

Also, we can't even prevent people from crossing our borders... how do we stop outside weaponry from getting smuggled in? Demand will be met by supply.

Further, it will create yet another black market. Escalating crime.
I mentioned our 25% incarceration rate. Much of that is due to our ridiculous "war on drugs".

From Akka:
It's a weapon, it's a tool, it's a right. It is only my business, as well. You pointing it out that it is a weapon doesn't change that on any level. Please, try to defend it.

Also, we can't even prevent people from crossing our borders... how do we stop outside weaponry from getting smuggled in? Demand will be met by supply.

Just to be clear, guns go out, because we are the supply. If the only source of illegal weapons was smuggling them in most criminals would need an entire lifetime of crime before they could afford one.

The point that the guns criminals have illegally are in fact a function of the legal availability of guns shouldn't just be blown off. Unless you can suggest a real effective way to prevent legal guns from turning into illegal guns, whenever you cite illegal guns in an argument you are directly supporting a reduction in legal guns. It is absolutely safe to say that every illegal gun in a criminal's hands was originally manufactured to be a legal gun.

And if stealing weaponry from the army has a reasonable chance of success your country has officially become a failed state.
Wait, I missed this!
I would definitely dispute that. People in the military sell weapons illegally, or work with the thieves, etc. Further, experiencing the theft of material items is a common experience...

Of course, you could argue the US is a failed state, but the government gets ripped off A LOT. Including weapons, but mainly $$.

Just to be clear, guns go out, because we are the supply. If the only source of illegal weapons was smuggling them in most criminals would need an entire lifetime of crime before they could afford one.

The point that the guns criminals have illegally are in fact a function of the legal availability of guns shouldn't just be blown off. Unless you can suggest a real effective way to prevent legal guns from turning into illegal guns, whenever you cite illegal guns in an argument you are directly supporting a reduction in legal guns. It is absolutely safe to say that every illegal gun in a criminal's hands was originally manufactured to be a legal gun.

Its up to you suggest a solution I think. You make the claim to deprive me and others of their property, so whats the case? Due process isn't just a myth like the 2nd amendment is it?

t is absolutely safe to say that every illegal gun in a criminal's hands was originally manufactured to be a legal gun.

Says who? "Legal gun" is a pretty meaningless term don't you know?

We are not the only supply. China would sell guns to anyone, including us.

The point that the guns criminals have illegally are in fact a function of the legal availability of guns shouldn't just be blown off.
Unless you can show me how you can stop them from getting them illegally, it should.

Unless you can suggest a real effective way to prevent legal guns from turning into illegal guns, whenever you cite illegal guns in an argument you are directly supporting a reduction in legal guns.
No, because I reject the premise that making them illegal will significantly hinder criminals from gaining them.

It is absolutely safe to say that every illegal gun in a criminal's hands was originally manufactured to be a legal gun.
Actually... people do make guns themselves, illegally... such as zip guns, etc. They aren't as effective, but they are guns.

Guns are the great equalizer. They are the triumph of the thinking man over the brute.
The guy in Detroit who murdered a teenaged girl because she was banging on his door at 4:00am wasn't a brute? :confused:

The nutjob apparently owned a 12-gauge shotgun in the first place because someone had peppered his car with paintballs. He was planning to gun someone down for vandalism, but had to settle for killing someone for waking him up in the middle of the night instead. What a psycho. And he said he didn't look through the window blinds to see who was banging on his door before shooting her because he didn't want to give his position away. I guess he thought he was in "Assault on Precinct 13" or something. I hope he gets the psychological counseling he evidently needs. For gun owners, I guess Renisha McBride is just the price someone else had to pay for liberty. Or something.

The guy in Detroit who murdered a teenaged girl because she was banging on his door at 4:00am wasn't a brute? :confused:
You missed the point.
She didn't have a gun, therefore she was unable to equalize her position.
Clearly I don't support that guy blowing her away. He should be imprisoned for murder. I'm unfamiliar with the case.

Your anecdote is touching, but ineffectual... as they typically are.

Through guns, the meek have, in some respect, inherited the earth.

Bring your evidence to his trial no? Why force it upon everyone?

He was planning to gun someone down for vandalism,

Put in em prison then. He's a black guy. Should be easy...

For gun owners, I guess Renisha McBride is just the price someone else had to pay for liberty. Or something.

In what world are base freedoms ever not paid for in human lives? The price in blood of cheap and available transportation is staggering.

Top Bottom