Oh, the weather outside is...

Looks like the Minnesota snow is going to be less than forecast and spreading into Friday, meaning I don't get to go food shopping tomorrow for the chicken thighs and vegetables for my spicy Ethiopian stew.

In Greece?? I thought you guys had yearlong paradise conditions? I mean you don't live atop Mount Olympus, right?:p

EDIT: NOAA says Greece is warmer than average, but I'd love to hear your anecdotal insights.

Mt Olympus is 90 kilometers (google tells me that's 56 miles) from this city. When the sky is clear it is visible from the promenade.
But I don't live there.

upload_2021-1-16_18-23-24.png

Great. Now it is 0 Celsius here.

It was 91F here yesterday and will be in the upper 80's all week. We've only gotten 1/3 of our usual rainfall as well, which all came on one day. Sad

If we are lucky, a few snow flakes overnight tonight.

-2 Celsius :(
:dubious:

So put on a sweater and get on with everything. That's not even winter coat weather.

Around here, it's entirely normal to come out of a cold snap (-30C and colder), have a day that's -20C with no wind, and everyone greets each other with "Nice day today!"

I had the experience some years ago of taking out the garbage after spending 2 weeks indoors due to -30C and colder temperatures (I draw the line at going outside when exposed skin freezes quickly and even two pairs of gloves aren't enough), meeting a neighbor at the dumpster, and we both agreed that it was a nice warm day... it was -12C and neither of us were wearing coats.

It snowed overnight. I wasn't expecting it to. Just as well we're not allowed to go anywhere, eh?

We might get rain tonight!

I had the experience some years ago of taking out the garbage after spending 2 weeks indoors due to -30C and colder temperatures (I draw the line at going outside when exposed skin freezes quickly and even two pairs of gloves aren't enough), meeting a neighbor at the dumpster, and we both agreed that it was a nice warm day... it was -12C and neither of us were wearing coats.
Its 9F here (-12C) and I can't imagine going outside without a coat on. I usually draw the line at freezing (32F/0C) as far as going coatless goes. Anything under 50F (10C) and I may opt for a light jacket at least, unless I'm just quickly taking out the trash or something. Although, a couple days ago, I did go outside in shorts, flip flops and a t-shirt in sub-freezing snow, to collect a couple of extension cords that I'd forgotten to bring in from Christmas, before they get covered in snow/ice.

The real question is... at what temp do folks in your area start wearing shorts?

Its 9F here (-12C) and I can't imagine going outside without a coat on. I usually draw the line at freezing (32F/0C) as far as going coatless goes. Anything under 50F (10C) and I may opt for a light jacket at least, unless I'm just quickly taking out the trash or something. Although, a couple days ago, I did go outside in shorts, flip flops and a t-shirt in sub-freezing snow, to collect a couple of extension cords that I'd forgotten to bring in from Christmas, before they get covered in snow/ice.

The real question is... at what temp do folks in your area start wearing shorts?
It depends on personal tolerance, activity level, and whether there's a chinook happening. Personally, I've only worn shorts in summer and can't imagine wearing them in winter, either inside or outside. But back in the '80s I used to see a guy in the neighborhood who wore shorts to go jogging and cycling in the winter, on days when I dressed in multiple layers and a winter coat.

It depends on personal tolerance, activity level, and whether there's a chinook happening. Personally, I've only worn shorts in summer and can't imagine wearing them in winter, either inside or outside. But back in the '80s I used to see a guy in the neighborhood who wore shorts to go jogging and cycling in the winter, on days when I dressed in multiple layers and a winter coat.
In this neck of the woods (Northeastern US) its generally 50F to 70F where people start wearing shorts. Anecdotally, its been my observation that my white countrymen tend closer to the 50F degree mark where they start breaking out the shorts whereas black and Asian folks tend to wait for at least 60F, while Hispanic folks trend closer to the 70F mark.

It depends on personal tolerance, activity level, and whether there's a chinook happening.

Is a chinook like an Alberta Clipper (strong winds out of the north)?

We'll be flirting with 0F the next couple of nights here in Syracuse (or as we like to call it this time of year, Syberacuse). Leaving the faucets dripping so I don't have to worry about any frozen pipes.

D

Although, a couple days ago, I did go outside in shorts, flip flops and a t-shirt in sub-freezing snow, to collect a couple of extension cords that I'd forgotten to bring in from Christmas, before they get covered in snow/ice.

I think humans have in general on their legs (not feet or lower torso) rather little cold sensors (although I don't have right now any data to back that up).
I've cycled home in my gym shorts while it was snowing outside (must have been around 0 or 1, 2 below), but wouldn't do that on a normal day.
Running in shorts is around 10°C absolutely no problem.
But for normal conditions, just chilling... I'd say the temperature for shorts starts from 20+.

Is a chinook like an Alberta Clipper (strong winds out of the north)?
D
Chinook winds come from the Pacific Ocean, over the Rockies. Warm, moist air comes in, and as it climbs over the mountains, the western slopes get the precipitation, and the eastern slopes (southern to central Alberta) get the warm air. It can be sub-zero in the morning and within hours, snow is melting and some people are playing golf in spring clothes by afternoon. It stays for a few days, and then we go back to the deep freeze. Calgary, being located in the foothills of the Rockies, gets the full benefit of this temporary spring in the middle of winter. Red Deer, where I live, gets a bit lesser benefit since we're farther away, but it's still a nice break from the cold temperatures.

I remember back in 1988 when Calgary hosted the Winter Olympics, the Calgary organizers tried to explain chinooks to the IOC, and that February really wouldn't be the best time of winter to hold skiing events. The American TV network broadcasting the Games naturally wanted to take advantage of the sweeps period, so they insisted... and when February rolled around, they wondered wtf happened to the snow. The organizers had to bring in snow machines, because some areas in the mountains that normally had snow were bare. :lol:

chinook-diagram.jpg

We had a good laugh one year, when Leonardo DiCaprio was filming a movie near Calgary. They were shooting in the winter, when a chinook wind came along. The snow started melting, it got quite warm very fast, and next thing, DiCaprio was panicking all over social media, claiming that "Climate change is REAL! I JUST SAW IT MYSELF!!!" :run: :run: :run:

:lmao:

Top Bottom