1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Paradox Interactive games

Discussion in 'All Other Games' started by Maniacal, Aug 4, 2006.

1. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

Wow, Hearts of Iron III looks fun.

I own it - thanks for giving me a reason to install it trader/warrior

If you're wondering why I bought it and never played it - the first thing I ever bought on steam was the Paradox Interactive pack.. which came with 70+ games (IIRC). I bought it for EU3 mainly, but also figured that it would have other games that I'd eventually try. And here's one!

Playing as Poland would not be very fun though, would it?

2. Maniacal

Maniacal the green Napoleon

Its because Steam has become the #1 digital distributor and Pdox are making the majority of their sales through Steam.

3. History_Buff

History_Buff Knight of Cydonia

Not just the majority; Johan hints pretty often that it's >95%. CKII was particularly one sided I think as well.

I don't really mind as much as a I would have 2 years ago. I'm kind of curious to go back and find my old arguments against it, but they'd probably just make me feel bad about myself.

4. Zack

Zack 99% hot gas

Consensus around here is that HoI 3 is a step back from 2. I've never played 3, as I've been satisfied with 2 and people have scared me off of 3.

I plan on picking up Darkest Hour pretty soon, though.

5. Oruc

Oruc Reactionary

Considering CK2 was announced as steam only and those who otherwise would have purchased/preorder through gamersgate switched it should be no great surprise. Only a few like myself waited to see if they would release a none steam version.

I'm unsure If I will get EU4, probably not, Steams encroachment has really turned me off gaming.

6. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

I don't mean to start a Steam discussion, but ever since I got steam, I have found myself

1. Buying games and not pirating them
    2. Never losing a game to a cd scratch or a lost cd or any other reason
    3. Getting a lot of gaming done
    4. Wanting to support the company because they don't insert annoying DRM into my games, make it more convenient for me to game, and give me awesome deals

The deals they put out are great - paying $50 for 40 games or whatever it was is quite a steal. Now that I think about it, I think that's how big the Paradox pack was.

Anyway, I have Hearts of Iron II: Complete as well. Which one do you guys recommend II or III?

7. Zack

Zack 99% hot gas

IIRC Hearts of Iron II doesn't support widescreen resolutions, which is a pain in the ass.

And I agree with warpus about Steam.

8. Joecoolyo

Joecoolyo 99% Lightspeed

Heh, they don't put DRM in games because Steam itself is DRM.

Not like there's anything wrong with that, I love Steam.

9. Oruc

Oruc Reactionary

Interestly you are having the opposite experience to me and about point no4 well Steam is that annoying drm that I have to use to access a game, why? for what purpose?
    I still haven't completed Deus Ex:human revolution and I had to buy the nonsteam version of Mount and Blade to keep playing.

10. Zack

Zack 99% hot gas

Yeah, it's nice. If you get a new computer, all you have to do is download Steam and you have your game library right there, good as new.

11. trader/warrior

trader/warrior Deity

Ugh, HoI 3 still carries the burden of that atrocious release...

Try it with the latest expansion now. The gameplay is vastly different than HoI 2, but also much more engaging IMO.

12. Zack

Zack 99% hot gas

I'm seriously considering getting both HoI 3 + expansions AND Darkest Hour, because they both look really good, at least to me. However, Darkest Hour is a whole lot cheaper.

I'm also considering Victoria 2 + AHD, but it looks so overwhelmingly complex. Is there a good let's play / tutorial / something like that?

13. Joecoolyo

Joecoolyo 99% Lightspeed

Yup, that's probably my number one reason for liking it.

A close second is being able to easily play mutliplayer games with friends, and chat with them. I almost use Steam chat exclusively as my chatting program, the only other one I can think of is Facebook for my friends who don't have steam.

14. mechaerik

mechaerik Tuturuu!

They were apparently doing server maintenance.

15. cybrxkhan

cybrxkhan Asian Xwedodah

Ah, I see. That makes sense.

16. Maniacal

Maniacal the green Napoleon

You don't have to start Steam to play CK2 as it doesn't use Steam's DRM. Just click on the .exe and play apparently (I've never bothered trying it myself though).

17. ~Corsair#01~

~Corsair#01~ Deity

Darkest Hour has Kaiserreich, which is worth the money alone. I'm currently finishing up my world conquest as Ungern von Sternberg's Mongol Khanate.

18. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

Yeah, I did say they do not insert annoying DRM into my games. There's a right way to do DRM and a wrong way.

19. GAGA Extrem

GAGA Extrem Emperor

HoI3 had HUGE issues on launch (and so did HoI2), but after all these years, it has become a good game. It's basicially like EU3 vanilla vs. EU3 Divine Wind. :)

I highly recommend to get HoI3. It is vastly different than part 2 and has its flaws, but for the first time the huge number of provinces allows in-deep strategical and tactical warfare. Even more if you play MP games.

As for HoI2, I highly recommend to get AoD. It is older then DH, but imho. the best of all the HoI2 iterations.

20. Arakhor

Arakhor Dremora Courtier Super Moderator

How do you mod Steam games and still get your updates as normal?