Poll: What era should the Dynasties NES be in?

What time period should it be set in?

• 1600s, ATL

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1600s, as historical

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • Rome, ATL

• Rome, as historical

• Feudal, ATL

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Feudal, as historical

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • 1648, OTL

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • 1648, As Historical

• Ancient, OTL

• Ancient, As Historical

• You shouldn't do a Dynasties NES

• Don't care

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Neverwonagame3

Self-Styled Intellectual
Ancient- Allows for a more Fresh Start type NES, allowing players more customisation.

Roman- Has the advantage that dynasties can struggle for the throne, and more influence for non-ruler players.

Feudal- Allows for more feudal intriuge if the focus is there (which it hasn't been in any NES I know of)

1600s- Is not a time period much done.

The advantage of an ATL is that it doesn't have to be historically accurate, so I recommend it.

Now I think about, the Ancient version would probably be a Fresh Start anyway, so the distinction is probably irrelevant.

PROPOSAL FOR ATL TIMELINES:

Feudal-
The barbarians invaded Europe in roughly the manner of OTL. Diffrent barbarian states emerged, and different tribes triumphed.

The players could claim starting areas as Kingdoms or Duchies, and I would do a BT to explain how things got that way. It would go from there.

1600s-
POD: The union of Austria and Spain never happened due to the survival of Juan of Asturias

I will get this TL to satisfication based on discussions at www.alternatehistory.com.

As a general rule, I tend to like it the more modern it is...until about 1950 :p So 1648 OTL sounds good.

I say the 17th century historical, and players can screw up history themselves. :)

Rest assured that all has been done before. Also, 17th century doesn't really work nearly as well for it's basic premise; sure, there's visible dynastic intrigue, but the amount of players is very limited from the outset. I re-iterate the suggestion that it should take place in the Medieval Middle East, or maybe India, though I guess that researching it would be this much more difficult than Europe. Still, oriental despoties trump feudal monarchies.

And the ancient version doesn't have to be a fresh start; in fact it would greatly benefit from not being one. But whatever.

I don't know much about the Medieval Middle East. das, can you explain how it worked?

EDIT: What I mean is in things like administration. Was it more feudal, more like the ancient middle east, more of an absolute monarchy, or what? Actually, now I think about it I do know about the Mamelukes (just the basic "premise", so to speak, of what they were, and the fact there were palace bodyguard coups, and the fact the Caliph had no real power. But anything else?)

It is actually not wholly unlike ancient Mesopotamia, in some regards. It is more of an absolute monarchy, at least in theory, but what makes this a good setting is the existence of numerous factions one has to work with and the relative fragility of states, allowing for a rich dynamic. Dynasties can overthrow each other more easily, and military expansion is easier and more likely to pay off than in contemporary Europe.

IMPORTANT POST

Alright, in that case this poll is pointless. I'll do the Medieval Middle East.

But I won't be starting this NES for a while.

Actually, I think I'll start a new poll.

Stop cluttering up the forum with polls and threads...

I actually like the Chinese dynasty idea too. :)

Now I think about it, I forgot to put another option on the original poll- doing an NESLife clone, with or without pictures, and having low quality but quick updates.

That's not even related to Dynasties...If you've set your mind to do something, you should go all the way and achieve it. Don't break your dreams.

Quick updates? There is no such thing as quick updates in NES. Maybe there's relatively quick, but not quick, and relatively quick disappoints many. So if you were to do that, then it'd be low quality and not-so-quick-as-you-and-others-expected-it-to-be updates.

China is interesting in its own right (and might be particularly good for a one nation NES, what with all the intrigues and provinces and uprisings), but Middle East just works better for this. There's more land to fight over and there doesn't have to be one winner in the end (as was pretty much a given with the Chinese civil wars).

That's not even related to Dynasties...If you've set your mind to do something, you should go all the way and achieve it. Don't break your dreams.

By the way, yes. You change your mind way too often. I would suggest that you think everything over, write down any new ideas you might get and then make the final decision.

Top Bottom