Polygamy, right or wrong?

The same could be said about those pushing for same sex marriage, since they are pushing their morals on us.

You don't have to get married with a man, you don't have to approve of two men getting married, all they want you to do is to not care about who they are married to and who they sleep with. Seriously, is that pushing their morals on you, is it too much to ask from you?

Every single time polygamy was practised by people in the OT it always caused conflict and that was the cause of the downfall of Solomon, since he was dragged away from God by his multiple wives who kept their foreign customs. It caused conflict in the household of Abraham and the conflict got so bad that it forced the expulsion of Hagar. They were following the custom of the peoples around them and not what God wanted for them. Thy wee disobedient to God's clear command in Genesis f marriage simply being a union between one man and one woman, but according to the customs of the time that to show your power you had multiple wives and concubines. So by the results of their sinful actions we see the result of disobeying God's command for marriage. Since we have changed God's purpose for marriage and sex we are seeing the consequences of such actions in modern society.
As I recall, when the people turned against Moses for taking a second wife from Kush, God was on his side. And can you tell me where the command of monogamy is in Genesis?
The same could be said about those pushing for same sex marriage, since they are pushing their morals on us.
Yeah, I'm really dreading all the men I'm gonna have to marry when this whole controversy dies down.
Then so is Jesus, due what he teaches about marriage is basically what I am saying.
Jesus never really addressed issues of gay marriage or polygamy.

As your ignoring my question about why you feel the need to classify pologamy as either right or wrong, care to answer how legalasing gay marriage would lead to you being in a gay marriage? Unless you are gay yourself? If you are not, then I am unsure how it will be pushed upon you?

Or is it your logic that all must live by your morales?

Theocrats.

If we ban same sex marriage, what are we going to ban next? Interracial marriages? Interreligious marriages? Marrying outside your own town? It's the slippery slope, people, and it works both ways!

Well, I actually agree with opponents of same-sex marriage that giving it legal recognition will lead to all sorts of other kinds of marriage getting legal recognition - or at least it should, unless its supporters are being hypocritical.

I am confident enough in God's definition of marriage that I don't worry that the government's definition will ruin it.

Counting on being in the small handful that make it out of the modern day Sodom and Gomorrah, eh?

Just remember...dont look back! :goodjob:

SALOMON WAS WISE. HE HAD SEVEN WIVES.

Historically speaking, it was his wives that led to his downfall. Just sayin.

How? HOW!? All they want is to marry, something that doesn't involve YOU whatsoever!

I will side with Eran on this issue. If same sex marriages (or unions) are proposed - than polyamory unions are also should be introduced. Personally I have no problems with same sex unions but being pushed alone it is not fair because they are only of use for some while polyamory in principle may be used by much more wider share of population.

1. The amount of people considering polygamy as a form of civil union is small relative to the general population;

2. The chance of polygamy where every plural wife/husband is treated with equality is very low.
--> Leads to increased jealousy among family

It won't be widespread--most people favor traditional marriage. Even if it does occur, the internal instability of a modern polygamist marriage would be enough to fragment them. Whatever 'threat' level the marriages propose is minor.

Of course, it should be allowed that some public entity investigate said families for cases of abuse, but it isn't like we do this currently with domestic abuse claims.

Jesus never really addressed issues of gay marriage or polygamy.

Actually, he did address marriage quite clearly, and did indicate that a Godly marriage consists of a single man and a single woman. Not any real way to deny that.

Chapter and verse, man. I'm willing to listen. For what it's worth, I'm largely with Eran on this issue, but I don't think there's anything in the Gospels explicitly applicable to it.

Actually, he did address marriage quite clearly, and did indicate that a Godly marriage consists of a single man and a single woman. Not any real way to deny that.

Yes, but he did so in 1st-Century Judea, so it's pretty hard to imagine him saying anything else. In the same way, all of his disciples were men, but that doesn't mean that nowadays women shouldn't hold equal status in the Church; it just happened that in those days it was the norm for men to take on such positions. I've always thought that going by what God would want for his people is the best idea - I can rather imagine somebody standing before him at their final judgement and being asked 'what possessed you to think I supported that?'

He probably declared "Man marries women" because he thought Adam was given Eve four thousand years earlier. In the very same passage, he points out that there are some people to whom his 'rule of thumb' doesn't apply.

Counting on being in the small handful that make it out of the modern day Sodom and Gomorrah, eh?

Just remember...dont look back!

I agree with your arguments for the most part, but remember that there was a bit more to Sodom and Gomorrah than just gay marriage (And they probly didn't even have gay marriage:p)

If we ban same sex marriage, what are we going to ban next? Interracial marriages? Interreligious marriages? Marrying outside your own town? It's the slippery slope, people, and it works both ways!

I don't see anything wrong with marrying outside your own town, so long as you are marrying within your race and religion. Unless you are talking about something unthinkable like marrying a Canadian?

Top Bottom