Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

The "mine creating a resource" odds are 1 in 10,000 for each type of resource you currently have the tech to use.

Also you might pop a "not mine needed" resource w/o working the tile at all and without the needed tech to use. I have a whale showing up outside the the BFC. Also once a ancient scout found a oil although it probably was a random event.

Hi,

This is my first post. I've been playing civ 4 for a few years now, but after becoming comfortable on monarch I could not seem to move on, so I finally googled up this fantastic forum and some of TMIT's and AbsoluteZero's great videos. So first of all, thank you all for sharing all these ideas and techniques which greatly helped me moving up to immortal and with some of my favourite leaders even to deity. My very first question is rather about the particular customs for this forum. Is there a special thread new members are expected to post their profiles / introductions in (I didn't see a sticky) or is it OK if I just chime in on various threads?

Those would be produced by the Random Event system (the oil one is the "Man Named Jed" event and the whale is the "Whale of A Thing" event). Even if you use the game option that turns off random events it can still produce a resource from a mine since it doesn't use that system, it is done directly in the CvPlot::doImprovement function that is run on every improvement being worked by a city every turn.

The "mine creating a resource" odds are 1 in 10,000 for each type of resource you currently have the tech to use.

This is controlled in the CIV4ImprovementInfos.xml file in the data for the mine improvement. They are listed separately but they all have the same odds specified (but some other values are different, of course).

Thanks! Found it (iDiscoverRand). Since there's 8 resources, that makes the chances slightly less than 1 in 1,000 for each mine each turn (0.1%). But of course some resources won't be revealed until you have the requisite tech and it would therefore be impossible to say whether they had been discovered or not.

EDIT: Also seen as gems, gold and silver are the only available mine resources revealed at the start of the game, the chances of me popping gems on the first turn of working a mine was less than 1 in 3,000!

Thanks! Found it (iDiscoverRand). Since there's 8 resources, that makes the chances slightly less than 1 in 1,000 for each mine each turn (0.1%). But of course some resources won't be revealed until you have the requisite tech and it would therefore be impossible to say whether they had been discovered or not.

And you need to work an actual mine. There was a popular belief in the past building a mine makes the pop available, but it doesn't.

Hi,

This is my first post. I've been playing civ 4 for a few years now, but after becoming comfortable on monarch I could not seem to move on, so I finally googled up this fantastic forum and some of TMIT's and AbsoluteZero's great videos. So first of all, thank you all for sharing all these ideas and techniques which greatly helped me moving up to immortal and with some of my favourite leaders even to deity. My very first question is rather about the particular customs for this forum. Is there a special thread new members are expected to post their profiles / introductions in (I didn't see a sticky) or is it OK if I just chime in on various threads?

Welcome to the forums!

I don't know of a special thread where new members post their profiles or introductions. You can just chime in on various threads. At least that has been what I've been doing for several years without an introduction :)

Thank you, bcool. I guess that's settled then. :)

Quick Question: Does Killing barbarians generate great general points? From experience I would say no. I once played a game where my neighbour was almost immediatly conquered by barbarians, and then that city started sending hords of them my way. I slaughtered tens of barbarians but looked at my military advisor and saw that there was no great general points. And what about animals?

Quick Question: Does Killing barbarians generate great general points? From experience I would say no. I once played a game where my neighbour was almost immediatly conquered by barbarians, and then that city started sending hords of them my way. I slaughtered tens of barbarians but looked at my military advisor and saw that there was no great general points. And what about animals?
No and no. You get XPs from barbs (5 max from beasties and 10 max from military), but no GG points.

But of course some resources won't be revealed until you have the requisite tech and it would therefore be impossible to say whether they had been discovered or not.

A mine will never create a resource you can't see yet. The code checks for the reveal tech before checking to see if it gets to try the random chance for that resource.

The message for generating a new resource is supposedly different than the message for revealing a resource by finishing research on the reveal tech (TXT_KEY_MISC_DISCOVERED_NEW_RESOURCE vs. TXT_KEY_MISC_YOU_DISCOVERED_BONUS) except for the slight problem that the text for these two values happens to be exactly the same (well, they are in English - I didn't compare the other languages). So there is a 1 in 10,000 chance that a newly revealed resource on the plot of a mine you are working was randomly produced on that turn instead of having been there the whole game, if the resource generation is checked after the research is processed - but I didn't check to see which order that happens.

is there anyway to code the game to pop up more UN resolution votes? It seems to happen so little it's almost like what's the point?

Love the avatar. So apparently selecting a unit or multiple units and clicking control + # binds the unit(s) to #. Why isn't this working for me? :p

Hm I don't think the numpad keys work for this, only the numbers at the top, thats what I'd try first.

I have seen videos on youtube where the uploader doesn't need to press enter to proceed, he can use his house. A little red button on the bottom right of the screen.

Where can I get this mod? I've tried to search for user-interface mods on here but to no avail.

EDIT: AHHHHH! I just noticed it there as I went back into the game. All this time of putting my keyboard on my lap!!!!!!!!!!

is there anyway to code the game to pop up more UN resolution votes? It seems to happen so little it's almost like what's the point?
You can set the frequency of voting in one of the XML files. I don't remember which one it is, sorry. You might want to check the tutorials section in the modding forum. ;)

is there a way to review these random tasks to check your progress?

oh, and a second question, is there an xml line that you can edit to stop global warming?

oh, and a second question, is there an xml line that you can edit to stop global warming?

Yes. Quoting Roland Johanson, from a few years ago:

It's quite easy to for instance remove global warming from the game. The file GlobalDefines.xml which exists for every version of the game (vanilla, Warlords and BTS) holds many parameters that effect the game. One of them is:

Code:
<Define>
<DefineName>GLOBAL_WARMING_PROB</DefineName>
<iDefineIntVal>20</iDefineIntVal>
</Define>
Changing the 20 to 0 removes global warming from the game.

The file is located in:
...\Civilization 4\Assets\XML
...\Civilization 4\Warlords\Assets\XML
...\Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\Assets\XML

Remember - don't change the file in your game. Copy it to CustomAssets, with the appropriately nested folders (which can be otherwise empty). Then make the changes in the copy. That way, if you mess it up, you can always delete the copy and try again. Also, you will need the game in its original state if you play any games, such as the Game of the Month, with locked assets. In that case you just put a line in the ini to not load CustomAssets.

is there a way to review these random tasks to check your progress?

The message log, which you get to via a button in the upper left of the screen or via control-Tab, has 3 tabs: regular log of messages (the messages that scroll past in the upper center of the screen, some messages from before the current turn disappear), combat log (gives details of each combat), and the third tab has the quests, as they are called, which you have gotten that have not yet been either completed or failed. It doesn't really show your progress on the quests but will show you the details again.

You can set the frequency of voting in one of the XML files. I don't remember which one it is, sorry. You might want to check the tutorials section in the modding forum. ;)

I meant more frequent votes, so this answer is bang on. Thanks. :)

Top Bottom