Random Rants 75: This is Bat Country!

Status
Not open for further replies.
My dad is in the hospital and I'm getting conflicting stories as to why they put him on antibiotics. Apparently I shouldn't be worried about a nearly-84-year-old being kept in Emergency for over 26 hours because the record in somewhere over 40 hours.
I hope your dad gets better.

So, 24 hours later, is he still there?

Oh. That's better, I suppose. :dunno:

:hug:

I'm really so terribly sorry to hear about your father @Valka D'Ur, I'm glad to hear he's in his room and you know what's happening, I dearly hope he's stabilized and will be okay. Please let us know? You and your father will be in my thoughts.

You're mad about men falling asleep? Unless you're looking for action it's a boon. Men who aren't sleeping fidget and turn around and use their elbows and worse.
Well I'd like him to go to sleep eventually, but can't he stay awake with me for just like even ten minutes, just to enjoy? I mean I only get about a half dozen seconds of cuddling bliss, lol! That's just not enough for me.

I don't think he has to worry about his snoring, he's not terribly loud or anything, just like normal snoring. I make him sleep on his right side, so he's facing away from me, and I also make him wear a breathe-right strip on his nose. With all that, and my sound machine, he normally doesn't bother me. But I'm an incredibly sensitive sleeper, everything has to be absolutely perfect, like even a tiny thing wrong with my bed will keep me up all night. That's why I use a fourteen inch memory foam mattress, and I wash my sheets every weekend, and I need my pillows fluffed up, and I have to have my sound machine (I take that with me when I travel), I can't have any lights on, I need my ceiling fan (and I go crazy if it's making a clicking noise), I can't have a ticking clock anywhere nearby, I have to be facing my window, and on and on.

Oh. That's better, I suppose. :dunno:

Well, it's nothing exotic; he's had this problem before. My major worry is because so many people in this region are being hospitalized for flu, and my dad has COPD (honestly, people - if you smoke, please stop, so you don't end up attached to an oxygen machine in your later years). At first they were telling me that he was showing signs of pneumonia.

I'm really so terribly sorry to hear about your father @Valka D'Ur, I'm glad to hear he's in his room and you know what's happening, I dearly hope he's stabilized and will be okay. Please let us know? You and your father will be in my thoughts.
Thank you. :hug:

I just hope he gets to sleep tonight; my memories of being in the hospital over New Year's was that some of the night shift nurses weren't particularly considerate. After 17 years I can still remember the one with the horrible, cackling laugh that she made no effort to tone down... at 3 am.

But I'm an incredibly sensitive sleeper... I can't have a ticking clock anywhere nearby, I have to be facing my window, and on and on.
I find a ticking clock relaxing. There's too much humming going on here.

Hospitals are never a place to go for sleeping through the night or getting rest.

Hospitals are never a place to go for sleeping through the night or getting rest.
And yes, a nurse will wake you up to give you a sleeping pill. There's a reason. It's so you don't wake up in the middle of the night and then can't get back to sleep and bother the nurses. Also a hospital is not a place that is conducive to sleep anyway. The beds aren't comfy and in a psych ward at least, we check on you every half hour.

People asked why I didn't just close the door. Well, guess what - the room became unbearably warm, and the thermostat wasn't adjustable. So I had to leave the door open and listen to that cackling and the conversations about what restaurants they were going to the next day (lovely conversation to listen to when one of the issues you're in for is a malfunctioning gall bladder and another is ulcers).

And yes, a nurse will wake you up to give you a sleeping pill. There's a reason. It's so you don't wake up in the middle of the night and then can't get back to sleep and bother the nurses. Also a hospital is not a place that is conducive to sleep anyway. The beds aren't comfy and in a psych ward at least, we check on you every half hour.
And yes, said nurse will berate you for not being a sound sleeper (who can sleep with her colleague using her middle-of-the-day voice?), and having the bad manners to wake up as they're doing whatever. BTW, this WAS the middle of the night.

I have visited hospitals a couple of times in my life, and both times it was way too warm there. I see now it is a worldwide thing. Maybe because it is better for patients with low defenses?

People asked why I didn't just close the door. Well, guess what - the room became unbearably warm, and the thermostat wasn't adjustable. So I had to leave the door open and listen to that cackling and the conversations about what restaurants they were going to the next day (lovely conversation to listen to when one of the issues you're in for is a malfunctioning gall bladder and another is ulcers).

And yes, said nurse will berate you for not being a sound sleeper (who can sleep with her colleague using her middle-of-the-day voice?), and having the bad manners to wake up as they're doing whatever. BTW, this WAS the middle of the night.
If you are the one being irritated, then just get noise cancelling headphones or ear plugs.

*vacuum cleaner refuses to work*
*another person figures out what is wrong, sets the contraption right, turns it on again without completely reassembling it*
*Takhisis is smothered in dust cloud*
Well I'd like him to go to sleep eventually, but can't he stay awake with me for just like even ten minutes, just to enjoy? I mean I only get about a half dozen seconds of cuddling bliss, lol! That's just not enough for me.

I don't think he has to worry about his snoring, he's not terribly loud or anything, just like normal snoring. I make him sleep on his right side, so he's facing away from me, and I also make him wear a breathe-right strip on his nose. With all that, and my sound machine, he normally doesn't bother me. But I'm an incredibly sensitive sleeper, everything has to be absolutely perfect, like even a tiny thing wrong with my bed will keep me up all night. That's why I use a fourteen inch memory foam mattress, and I wash my sheets every weekend, and I need my pillows fluffed up, and I have to have my sound machine (I take that with me when I travel), I can't have any lights on, I need my ceiling fan (and I go crazy if it's making a clicking noise), I can't have a ticking clock anywhere nearby, I have to be facing my window, and on and on.
You'd better do something about the sleeping, or else, if you ever have chidlren, you'll be in for an even rougher time than is usual. Or hotels for work trips or holidays… :/

Valka: hang in there!

Loonie people in the loonie bin don't get loonier when kept up staring at the lunar light?

2018 is no different from the rest of the years in my lost decade.

I have visited hospitals a couple of times in my life, and both times it was way too warm there. I see now it is a worldwide thing. Maybe because it is better for patients with low defenses?
In others, as I have had the dubious pleasure of learning this year, they really crank up the chill machines.
2018 is no different from the rest of the years in my lost decade.
Is it now. At least you'll have a different username.

Loonie people in the loonie bin don't get loonier when kept up staring at the lunar light?
Nah, that's a myth. The real looniness comes from what they slip into the cafeteria food. I used to eat there. I know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom