Random Rants 76: Argh! Augh! Ahhh!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rant: I found my mother using my toothbrush. I specifically picked out ones of different colours to be able to tell them apart. She said that it "doesn't matter." :vomit:

It does. See our answers in the other thread.

Rant: I've made a horrible mistake.

Spoiler :

Because any program with a sixteen page Quick Start Guide was made for people who do not know the meaning of the word quick?

More like 37 pages. The plugin I use to estimate page counts is a little weird for ePubs.

Most of the guide is taken up by information about converting ebooks:

Rant: The milk in my fridge froze. No, I don't keep it in the freezer.

Rant: The milk in my fridge froze. No, I don't keep it in the freezer.

Advice: When you adjust your fridge, which seems like a likely thing for you to be doing, adjust the control for the fridge and the one for the freezer.

I had a problem with the fridge freezing things and when I turned it down (turned down the setting, not the expected temperature) it didn't seem to help. In fact it seemed to get worse...and even worse when I turned it down further. I had it all the way down to "one" on the dial and it was still freezing stuff. After much flailing about I read somewhere that if you don't keep the fridge and the freezer at approximately the same setting that freezing stuff in the fridge was the expected result. So I set the fridge back to one notch below where it had started, and turned the freezer setting down one notch as well, and it has been fine ever since.

I visited peireus, the port of athens, two days ago.
This city keeps revealing more hideous areas.

That said, it is a fair distance from the acropolis. The long walls must have been a pretty impressive acomplishment.

The IR sensor in my TV is going out. Because reasons, I have two remotes for the TV and neither will work consistently. I've changed batteries, I've drained the capacitors in both the TV and the remote and I've tried to re-sync them to the TV. I'm soliciting quotes from repair shops to see if it is even worth repairing. I've only had it for 6 or 7 years, I'd expect a TV to last at least a full decade. It's a Vizio product so it's pretty cheap compared to the other brands and has been very buggy since we got it but now it's unusable as it only has a power button on the side.

tfw it's a two-hour delay day and class starts in less than an hour and you're still home because #$@)#(%*

Every time I eat the stew I made I end up in the bathroom within 15 minutes.

I wonder if the meat was off. It smelled fine. Tastes fine...

:think:

Advice: When you adjust your fridge, which seems like a likely thing for you to be doing, adjust the control for the fridge and the one for the freezer.

I had a problem with the fridge freezing things and when I turned it down (turned down the setting, not the expected temperature) it didn't seem to help. In fact it seemed to get worse...and even worse when I turned it down further. I had it all the way down to "one" on the dial and it was still freezing stuff. After much flailing about I read somewhere that if you don't keep the fridge and the freezer at approximately the same setting that freezing stuff in the fridge was the expected result. So I set the fridge back to one notch below where it had started, and turned the freezer setting down one notch as well, and it has been fine ever since.
Thanks, I'll try that.

The IR sensor in my TV is going out. Because reasons, I have two remotes for the TV and neither will work consistently. I've changed batteries, I've drained the capacitors in both the TV and the remote and I've tried to re-sync them to the TV. I'm soliciting quotes from repair shops to see if it is even worth repairing. I've only had it for 6 or 7 years, I'd expect a TV to last at least a full decade. It's a Vizio product so it's pretty cheap compared to the other brands and has been very buggy since we got it but now it's unusable as it only has a power button on the side.

Have you got jam on the end of the remote control?

The IR sensor is behind glass. Dust can collect on the sensor itself and interfere even if you clean the glass. The enterprising rocket scientist may find it to be worth taking the TV apart and cleaning the actual sensor rather than just the glass in front of it.

Only do this if you are in the spirit of "it's already broke so why not?" There may be some issues with taking the TV apart that make it impossible to reassemble.

Rant: My mother destroyed the shawl-thingy that I use to keep warm. She put it in a dryer at full heat (the tag says not to) and it melted some of the fringe into a globby mess. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom