Random Rants 80: Computer Says No

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some cables are probably crappier than others but in general I think cables are just not that long-lasting. I had to get them tightened pretty routinely on every bike I ever rode that had them.
It's a crappy cable but the way it's pinched in place makes it even worse.

I got the brakes adjusted correctly but in the process I realized that both wheels are super wobbly and the chain makes a funky noise and gets really loose on the lowest gear. Ugh

Aaargh ghosting employers! In an age in which people hand out phone numbers, Facebook messenger, Email, Skype, Discord and who knows how many other contacts it can't be that hard to even copy and paste ‘Hey, sorry, we've already found somebody else for the job.’ You don't even need to thank me for applying, just a Y/N dangit.
I didn't sleep very well last night. I've gotten pretty good at taking my medication and turning off the reminder on my phone without fully waking up. But then my mother randomly came in and yelled at me to plug in my phone (which was already plugged in). It was no use trying to go back to sleep after that.
The highlighted sounds familiar.

Aaargh ghosting employers! In an age in which people hand out phone numbers, Facebook messenger, Email, Skype, Discord and who knows how many other contacts it can't be that hard to even copy and paste ‘Hey, sorry, we've already found somebody else for the job.’ You don't even need to thank me for applying, just a Y/N dangit.
While that sucks, it's probably a good indication that the company sucks and you probably wouldn't want to work there anyway.

Like "missing a ball bearing" wobbly or just "loosely screwed in" wobbly?
I think the latter. Not sure how to tell the difference though.

The highlighted sounds familiar.
I feel you man. I recently had a couple of phone second-round phone screenings where they told me they were going to have me come and do an on-site and then just ghosted me. :(

While that sucks, it's probably a good indication that the company sucks and you probably wouldn't want to work there anyway.
Completely disagree. It's basically standard in the job market these days, especially for online applications that don't get to a phone screening. It's sucky but I don't think it's indicative of a company's working environment.

I think the latter. Not sure how to tell the difference though.

You're probably not missing a ball bearing, I was mostly kidding (wobbling from missing a ball bearing is going to be much. much more pronounced and rhythmic than wobbling from the axles not being tight enough). You should be able to tighten the axles a bit and make the wheels stop wobbling. Do you have quick-release wheels?

Ahh, I can't give any direct advice on tightening the axles then. "Quick release" means you can unscrew a thingy at the end of the axle and just pop the wheels off the frame; I've had them on every bike I can remember having.

Here's a picture I found on google:

With those if the wheels are wobbly I just tighten the screw-on things at each end of the axle.

Completely disagree. It's basically standard in the job market these days, especially for online applications that don't get to a phone screening. It's sucky but I don't think it's indicative of a company's working environment.
Eh, yes, but it's better than freelance in a depressed economy with rampant (>45%) yearly inflation rates. I think, simply, that in a country that has an institutionalised cult of selfishness, most employers simply suck.

Ahh, I can't give any direct advice on tightening the axles then. "Quick release" means you can unscrew a thingy at the end of the axle and just pop the wheels off the frame; I've had them on every bike I can remember having.

Here's a picture I found on google:

With those if the wheels are wobbly I just tighten the screw-on things at each end of the axle.
The wheels are definitely not quick release. :(

Eh, yes, but it's better than freelance in a depressed economy with rampant (>45%) yearly inflation rates. I think, simply, that in a country that has an institutionalised cult of selfishness, most employers simply suck.
Too bad you're not here. Companies can't find enough qualified workers so are doing everything they can on the hiring side.

The US is definitely a no-go zone for me. Gun nuts, mass shootings becoming a daily occurrence, xenophobia, Nazis, no living wage or employer & consumer protections… even if I wasn't mostly tied down to Argentinistan by other factors of my non-work RL I'd seriously prefer a lot of other (Western) countries before the US in its current state.

Hear, hear, you'd have to be either mad, or desperate, or reckless, or naïve, or a combination thereof.

That's almost a Canadian dollar!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom