Random Rants: --... ---.. Don't expect others to convert it for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you have to be a geek or a nerd to know the difference between a geek and a nerd? Or perhaps a dweeb? Or a dork? Or maybe even a gimboid?

Na, since I'm not going to define it to the very last bit, and because I don't give a rats rear end about the differences :p .

You are posting on a forum full of geeks.

I dont know if anyone here is real ^^.
And for sure not everyone is a nerd, and not everyone who describes himself as one actually is one. I wouldn't know who here would do. Some people certainly don't.

Dang, I wonder why the banned user just not come back with different ID. He also had lots of post and light the life of this forum, it is a lost
People have tried that a lot and mostly they get caught and banned again. The moderator staff is smart enough and have enough tools to figure out when that happens.

I still don't understand why anyone would think that Heinlein is in the same league as Niven or Asimov.
Back in the day, Arthur C. Clarke, Isaac Asimov, and Robert A. Heinlein were known as "The Big Three". If you wanted to add a fourth or fifth, the usual names were Ray Bradbury and Robert Silverberg.

Of all those, Robert Silverberg is the only one still alive (and posted the other day on his Yahoo! group about a new edition of one of his books).

Much of Heinlein's earlier work was the "space opera" type of story - the ones with a protagonist about 17-18 years old who gets into some kind of unexpected trouble while on a spaceship/in training, living on a colony world, exploring an alien world, etc. The protagonist then has to figure out a way to get out of trouble and there's sometimes an enemy to deal with.

The most blatantly political SF novel he ever wrote (in my opinion) was Rocket Ship Galileo... which is basically about 3 teenage boys and a dad who go to the Moon (the dad indulges them), encounter Space Nazis, kill them, and live happily ever after.

I refuse to have this novel in my collection. While I've overlooked some other questionable themes in Heinlein novels (ie. consensual incest being acceptable), this novel is just plain offensive on several levels.

As he got older, Heinlein's books got more political, and more bizarre. I've heard it said that he changed from straightforward space opera to this other stuff after he married his second wife and became influenced by her political views. Mind you, the same is said of Frank Herbert and the bizarre turn his Dune books took, so who knows how much is true and how much is gossip? Most of their peers who knew them are either very old now, or they've died.

Heinlein was a tremendous influence on other writers, either in style, theme, or how he approached the business side of writing and marketing science fiction. He paid his dues by submitting to the pulp magazines, but he was also one of the first SF authors to submit to then-mainstream publishers who were not those who traditionally published science fiction. And he was one of the first to get a novel published as a real novel, rather than be serialized in a magazine or newspaper.

Other writers realized that they had to do likewise to remain marketable, so that's how Asimov was able to transition from the pulps to novels. When they discovered that there was even more money to be made by themed anthologies, they realized that the same story could make money for them several times over - upon initial publication, and then in various anthologies (ie. Hugo winners, time travel stories, author-specific collections, best stories of whatever year, etc.).

But as the decades have passed, many of Heinlein's stories have become less and less relevant and readable. It seems ludicrous now to read a story about farms under a dome on Ganymede or Callisto, since we now know more of what those moons are really like. There can't be any cultural/diplomacy issues with the natives of Venus (as in Space Cadet), because as far as we know, nothing is alive there and the events of that novel could never happen because it's impossible for humans to live on Venus.

His stories to do with the Moon (not the "Space Nazis" one) aren't obsolete; in fact, both Heinlein and Bova wrote about low-gravity flying (ie. humans using artificial wings) on the Moon, as a recreational activity.

But many other of his stories are obsolete now, as also happened with Ray Bradbury's Mars and Venus stories. Science has marched on, making such stories harder to read (or at least I find them harder, knowing just how wrong the science is).

Dang, I wonder why the banned user just not come back with different ID. He also had lots of post and light the life of this forum, it is a lost
This is a temp ban, right? So he'll be back at some point.

There are rules against having more than one account, or letting anyone else use your account. There was one user here who was permabanned for allowing her already-permabanned boyfriend use her account.

But as the decades have passed, many of Heinlein's stories have become less and less relevant and readable. It seems ludicrous now to read a story about farms under a dome on Ganymede or Callisto, since we now know more of what those moons are really like. There can't be any cultural/diplomacy issues with the natives of Venus (as in Space Cadet), because as far as we know, nothing is alive there and the events of that novel could never happen because it's impossible for humans to live on Venus.

Oh, I actually like these things. Retro-Scifi (or however you want to call it) has it's own charm, it's a bit like an alternative universe. It's in some way funny, but fascinating too, and gives you some insight into how the people thought at this time.
(Not saying that someone needs to like them because of that, but they have their appeal to some people despite being outdated)

There are rules against having more than one account, or letting anyone else use your account. There was one user here who was permabanned for allowing her already-permabanned boyfriend use her account.

So it's not the id, or the avatar, the one who get banned, but the very person. I just understand it now.

Wouldn't it be a bit weird if it was anything other than the very person that was being banned?

Wouldn't it be a bit weird if it was anything other than the very person that was being banned?

All the forum that I know are like that, there are too many people and the moderator are just not too care to check it up that detail. I was into a forum where one user sometime uses many account, which many of it were created after regretting rage quit (change their mind later, but cannot handle licking their own spit)

Last edited:
What i personally find worrying in "geek culture" is the concurrent issue of diminishing rhoticity.

At first I read "greek culture" :lol: I don't know much about it but I think we should rather write "sub-culture" unless geeks form their own ethnic group and start a new country :D

At first I read "greek culture" :lol: I don't know much about it but I think we should rather write "sub-culture" unless geeks form their own ethnic group and start a new country :D

Same thing.
G(r)eeks are/were obsessed with super heroes (Heracles etc), weird D&D or Lovecraft style sea monsters (Scylla/Charybdis), and endless and sometimes volatile discussions about what is and is not "canon" (basically the entire history of the Eastern Orthodox Church).
Their most prominent philosophers were literally neckbeards, and their culture was cynically appropriated by Chads (Rome).

Same thing.
G(r)eeks are/were obsessed with super heroes (Heracles etc), weird D&D or Lovecraft style sea monsters (Scylla/Charybdis), and endless and sometimes volatile discussions about what is and is not "canon" (basically the entire history of the Eastern Orthodox Church).
Their most prominent philosophers were literally neckbeards, and their culture was cynically appropriated by Chads (Rome).

this is an interesting perspective, I think you should contemplate on this view @Kyriakos , there are so many relic to be dig in Greek canon to be remanufactured and repackaged for our contemporary (mass/nerd) audience. If you get the language you can open the barrier.

Same thing.

Zeus ! You're right ! G(r)eek culture is really G(r)eeky ! Forming their city states around a favourite diety ,hero or a leader ( like Athens -> Athena , Alexandria -> Alexander , Heralcea -> Heracles ). Guys living in barrels, strange men with great beards walking in robes all day doing nothing but drawing pictures of figures and calling it geometry :D

The most blatantly political SF novel he ever wrote (in my opinion) was Rocket Ship Galileo... which is basically about 3 teenage boys and a dad who go to the Moon (the dad indulges them), encounter Space Nazis, kill them, and live happily ever after.

I refuse to have this novel in my collection. While I've overlooked some other questionable themes in Heinlein novels (ie. consensual incest being acceptable), this novel is just plain offensive on several levels.

What was objectionable about it?

Oh, I actually like these things. Retro-Scifi (or however you want to call it) has it's own charm, it's a bit like an alternative universe. It's in some way funny, but fascinating too, and gives you some insight into how the people thought at this time.
(Not saying that someone needs to like them because of that, but they have their appeal to some people despite being outdated)

Yes! Victory Unintentional is one of my favorite Asimov stories, and I wish someone were still writing this sort of thing today (Tower of Babylon is similar, but it isn't sci-fi).

Thank ye, Madam Valka, this be good news.
There is indeed a pirate theme. :smug:
Arrrr… 'tis hard to resist when such morsels are thrown one's way, but proof of yonder Mary's cookies is yet to arrive.
You can contact him in the ideas are like stars forum in Cutlass' signature.

Yes! Victory Unintentional is one of my favorite Asimov stories, and I wish someone were still writing this sort of thing today (Tower of Babylon is similar, but it isn't sci-fi).

Both sound like fun stories! I wish I had more interest to read :/.

And from the first one's wiki entry:
John W. Campbell of Astounding Science Fiction so disliked the story that he rejected it with the chemical formula for butyl mercaptan, which Campbell knew the chemistry graduate-student Asimov knew.

:lol:
I think @Bootstoots will love that :lol:.

What was objectionable about it?
It's decades since I read it, but I recall thinking that this was one Heinlein novel that I would not buy (I read the copy from the public library). Even realizing that Heinlein's perspective comes from the fact that he served in WWII (was injured, so writing is the career he decided on after the war was over) and that affected his perspective on particular countries' people, he blamed ALL for the actions of SOME.

I know that Heinlein's later novels got political in ways that I suppose make sense to Americans but not to Canadians, since we don't have the same system of government. But there are other story elements in those, so I can still enjoy a re-read of To Sail Beyond the Sunset even considering that it's proclaiming incest to be good and beneficial, as long as everyone participating is over legal age and doing so of their own free will.

The earlier book doesn't have that going for it.

I was busy translating one of Robert Limpert's flyers from his poorly-handwritten German into English and spent ten minutes racking my brain, trying to figure out what one particular word meant. I tried misspellings, looked through online dictionaries, everything.

Then I realized that it was a place-name. Duh.

...and then I realized that the place-name was a place I've been to before. Several times. Which is not that far from where I was born.

The end of the school year can't come fast enough.

It's decades since I read it, but I recall thinking that this was one Heinlein novel that I would not buy (I read the copy from the public library). Even realizing that Heinlein's perspective comes from the fact that he served in WWII (was injured, so writing is the career he decided on after the war was over) and that affected his perspective on particular countries' people, he blamed ALL for the actions of SOME.

Does it hold all Germans responsible for Nazism or something? I didn't get that from the synopsis.

I used a little of my survey money to buy some cookies for myself. My mother ate half of them. :mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom