Random Rants LXIX: Life is a Dismal Chore

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Lalande scenario of ToT has orbital platforms where you can build cities. They take awhile, though, since you really need an Environeer to terraform a lot of tiles so the city's population doesn't starve to death. The cities on Naumachia are much more productive, provided you build where a dust run empties into a dust bowl (these function as rivers and lakes for irrigation purposes).

I haven't heard of that one.
wesnoth.org
Valka D'Ur said:
The thing about multi-level maps is that I now find single-level maps rather boring. Just think... you're minding your own business, a Dragon shows up (eventually you can acquire the tech to build your own Dragon units, but in the early-mid game they're really dangerous), and you have no Sorcerers handy to attack them on that level (either Sky or Surface)... but you have a city either underground or underwater that has a Sorcerer that can teleport to the level where the Dragon is and has enough movements (6 tiles) to attack the Dragon before it does any damage. The Dragon literally never saw it coming.
Stop tempting me!
So tonight I went to see critically-acclaimed death-grind-whatever-core band Nails. The first twenty-five minutes of their set was great.

I'm not sure what like the last hour would have been like, because the singer mumbled something about technicality difficulties and all they all walked off stage.

Very punk rock.
What's wrong with it being very punk rock?

What's wrong with it being very punk rock?
Because, in truth, it was not at all punk rock! Punk rock is soldiering even if the sound is bad because it's not like you're paying goddam Bach. This was the opposite of punk rock.

First you said it was very punk rock and now you say it wasn't punk rock at all.

It's like those people who say they don't care for the bagpipes. Utterly confusing.

Because, in truth, it was not at all punk rock! Punk rock is soldiering even if the sound is bad because it's not like you're paying goddam Bach. This was the opposite of punk rock.
What's wrong with Bach? I had to learn a lot of Bach when I was studying for my Western Board of Music exams. I still whistle or hum it now and then (glad I don't have to play it anymore, or at least not as perfect as it had to be for the exams).

Bagpipes are good, provided the player is good.

What's wrong with Bach? I had to learn a lot of Bach when I was studying for my Western Board of Music exams. I still whistle or hum it now and then (glad I don't have to play it anymore, or at least not as perfect as it had to be for the exams).

Bagpipes are good, provided the player is good.
Bach was just the first example of something sophisticated, elegant and precise- that is to say, not very punk- that popped into my head. Nothing against him specifically.

Bagpipes, for the record, are very punk.

Bach was just the first example of something sophisticated, elegant and precise- that is to say, not very punk- that popped into my head. Nothing against him specifically.
It's also a pain (literally) for people with smaller hands. Music written by men, for men, on a standard-size keyboard... :huh:

Bagpipes, for the record, are very punk.
I don't even know what that means.

I like bagpipes. My most pleasant surprise in Australia was walking around campus when suddenly someone starting playing bagpipes on a balcony in their residence.

Bagpiping has been kept alive in large part to annoy the English, and playing music of spite is the very definition of punk.
Shakespeare somewhere says there are people who can't hold their urine when they hear bagpipes playing.

Bagpipes are magnificent instruments!

The white elephant for the man who needs nothing but sadly gets everything he doesn't want.

(Related comment: Can a match box? No, but a tin can.)

Bagpiping has been kept alive in large part to annoy the English, and playing music of spite is the very definition of punk.
The Bulgarians, Serbs, Estonians, Greeks, Irish et al. also have their own bagpipes and only the very last of those groups has a vested interest in annoying the English.

Anyway, people should listen to the Real McKenzies to know about punk bagpipes.

I like bagpipes. My most pleasant surprise in Australia was walking around campus when suddenly someone starting playing bagpipes on a balcony in their residence.

I was on the Halifax waterfront once and there was a street busker with bagpipes. That was interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom