Random Rants LXVI: NO, **YOUR** THREAD TITLES SUCK!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
My uncle died. He was great.

Sorry for your loss. :(

Condolescence :(.

(feels bad to rant after this....but...)
*sigh* so I asked last Monday this girl out (as I wrote here), and she said no.
Beforehand was already planned that we go this Saturday (yesterday) to a party in a different city (because we're friends, and also work together). Which we also did, we went there.
Was a great party, was really nice.
But I could've known that a pretty girl doesn't go unnoticed (although there were many more girls than guys).
So comes as it had to come, some latin guy began dancing and flirting with her, and she enjoyed it. Yes, all good, all normal. But oh boy, what did I have a bad time after that. I knew this would happen, but I'm just stupid.

It was also so that she had the car. Since she drinks and drives, we agreed beforehand that if she'd drink, I'd drive back. That's fine, isn't it? She had 2 Mojito (1.5 according to her), so I wanted to drive back. She insisted that she's alcohol resistent (despite the fact that she didn't have dinner), and that she can still drive. Okay, well, I told her that she can drive home, but I'll go by train (which would be in something like 3-5 hours from that time point). So I went to the train station, but she couldn't accept that, wanted me to come back, etc. At some point (that took like at least 30 min) she could be persuaded to give me the key and let me drive back. She was obviously pissed, so was I. I'm sure my friend, who was with us, felt pretty awkward (they both just met that night).
Did quickly the calculation when I was home, seems she'd have been either a bit below or a bit above the level when you're still allowed to drive. So I feel that I was right about this. (and I really like having my driving license and would not like loosing it).

Oh, and due to that I for sure stayed sober, and didn't do anything at that party. Because I'm a coward. Not that alcohol changes much about that, but at least it gives some illusion it could. If I had known she was stubborn, I could've gotten messed up, but no...
So in summary, it was a really nice party, but everything else was crap. Bah.

That can be cumbersome. Generally you can trust people to bring back a shovel if they take it so it isn't a problem to leave it unsecured. What happened to Cut is a big breach of decency in colder climates in North America.
Decency? It's effing theft!
That's what quitters do. Don't throw in the trowel like that!
Please stop.
Why would I want a wet and dirty shovel in my house?
You first dry it and then leave it inside so that it doesn't get stolen.
Everything is ****
I'd never heard that before.

There is a mod that just speeds up plane animations. I believe it goes up to 4x.

I should have looked for that, I guess! Just seems weird they left that design decision in the game. Seems like something that should have been caught and fixed in the pre-alpha.

Next time they steal your vital snow-clearing tools, you should castrate them to teach them a lesson. After all, one should always call a spayed a spayed.
Wrong sex. Females are spayed. Males are castrated.

Decency? It's effing theft!
There's theft, and then there is stealing a person's means of clearing snow and ice away. Some municipalities have strict bylaws stating how much time a homeowner has to clear this stuff after a snowfall, or they'll be fined.

Unless there's a lot of snow or it's really heavy or packed down, it's possible to clear it with a broom - the method I preferred, since I'm not really strong enough to manage most shovels. But even so, it would take a long time.

Takhisis said:
Why would I want a wet and dirty shovel in my house?
You first dry it and then leave it inside so that it doesn't get stolen.
:crazyeye: And then he'd have a wet, dirty towel. Considering all the times it's necessary to shovel snow, that laundry would add up.

There's theft, and then there is stealing a person's means of clearing snow and ice away. Some municipalities have strict bylaws stating how much time a homeowner has to clear this stuff after a snowfall, or they'll be fined.

Unless there's a lot of snow or it's really heavy or packed down, it's possible to clear it with a broom - the method I preferred, since I'm not really strong enough to manage most shovels. But even so, it would take a long time.
You're mandated to clean your street? Dang. That's some big government right there.
Valka D'Ur said:
:crazyeye: And then he'd have a wet, dirty towel. Considering all the times it's necessary to shovel snow, that laundry would add up.
Just scrape it off… well, it ultimately depends on cut's arrangements.

So I need a new modem because my current one crapped the bed. Fortunately I still have the internet, but it's unusable for latency applications, which is basically all I do anyway. :(

You're mandated to clean your street? Dang. That's some big government right there.

Just scrape it off… well, it ultimately depends on cut's arrangements.
And then he'd have a dirty porch, or whatever else he used. Honestly, unless a person has a handy bit of space in a garage, outside really is the practical place to keep a snow shovel.

That said, we did keep a smaller one on the back porch, my dad had one in the garage, and I used a broom and long-handled ice chipper for the front porch and sidewalk. And yeah, my city is one that fines people who don't clear the snow in a timely way. Of course the city itself can take its sweet time and whine that there's not enough money in the budget for clearing the sidewalks in front of city-owned property and bus stops. Council seems to take it as a surprise that it snows every year and they don't budget enough, although in fairness, a larger than normal snow dump can burn through that budget pretty fast.

I don't have to do snow removal here, as the maintenance staff is supposed to take care of it. But I do keep a broom out on the balcony in case a pile of snow, dust, twigs, or whatever gets blown onto it. This building is at a weird angle, rather than according to the normal compass points, and I tend to get a lot of stuff blown on to my balcony no matter what time of year it is.

Last edited:
I really lack snow culture.

Dude it's pervasive and you have to account for it in weird ways.

Edit:
By 'decency' I meant it's no big deal to borrow a neighbors shovel if your in a bind but you always immediately return it or give it up on the spot if they need it. Or you dig just them out too. That's why stealing one is a special kind of messed up.

It's not as bad a spilling water in front of a thirsty man in the desert but it's in the same space.

Last edited:
There are good, practical reasons for this. First of all, Canada Post employees have the right to refuse to deliver mail to your address if you haven't cleared the snow. Granted, I've encountered a couple of them who were special snowflakes who wouldn't set foot on the sidewalk unless it was basically bare, dry cement, but the main thing is to avoid people slipping on ice. It doesn't take much ice buildup to make a surface slippery enough to cause serious injury.

I slipped on a patch of ice nearly 30 years ago, when running for the bus after dark (I'd been at a rehearsal for a production of West Side Story and had to catch the last bus home). I didn't notice the ice until I was on the ground, having fallen onto my right ankle... which resulted in weeks of pain, not being able to walk properly, or even play the organ properly (the right foot controls the expression - aka volume - pedal) and my music teacher kept getting after me for that. I really should have gone to the doctor, but hoped I could tough it out long enough to get through the upcoming Western Board of Music exams I'd been studying for during the last half-year.

That ankle still gives me problems at times. :mad: And the amount of ice I slipped on wasn't thick at all - just incredibly slippery.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom