1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Random Rants OA - I Have 71 Problems, But This Thread Ain't One

Discussion in 'Picture Threads Archive' started by Arakhor, Feb 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Synsensa

Synsensa - Retired Moderator

Have you tried a TENS unit on your hands? It never really helped for me but I have heard enough "success" stories to know that there's likely something to it.

It's nerve stimulation. While it won't do anything for joints or inflammation, it might help train your nerves to dull the pain sensation a little. Not a huge help by any means, but it's something, maybe.

Yada yada I am not a doctor, etc.

Snerk likes this.
  2. Snerk

Snerk Smeghead

No I haven't. But it sounds relevant since my joints look fine, they're just aching. And I can't even say for sure it's the joints but it's certainly in those areas. I think my mum has one of those electrical pulse machines/TENS unit or whatever it's called. So this might be worth checking out. Thanks.

Synsensa likes this.
  3. The_J

The_J Say No 2 Net Validations Retired Moderator Supporter

Not much of a rant, but: Got last now second time in the local pubquiz, and we only participated 3 times.
    And related to the last pages: Did not have a clue who invented D&D :/.

But at least Civ knowledge helped, since it was asked of which country Hallei Selassie was emperor of :D.

Kyriakos likes this.
  4. Commodore

Commodore Deity

Well that's because usually bigger means more resources, which allows them to play the long game in a court battle. If it looks like a judge won't side with Disney, they have the resources to drag out the proceedings until it becomes too expensive for EA to continue and they just cave to Disney's demands to stop the bleeding.

5. Valka D'Ur

Valka D'Ur Hosting Iron Pen in A&E Retired Moderator

I play the organ, accordion, and recorder.

Young Rissa is part of the Hulzein Saga, a series of space opera novels by F.M. Busby. The series takes place in a not-that-distant future in which the U.S. government could no longer afford to govern, and so the multinational conglomerates took over. Every four years they would bid for the right to govern, and when the Synthetic Food & Combine won, it annexed Canada and Mexico. That conglomerate was later defeated by United Energy & Transport (UET), which promptly canceled all future elections. Later on, they literally took over most of the world (the only holdouts are Australia and Argentina, which are Hulzein-controlled territories).

One of the things it did was institute Total Welfare. If you were in debt, UET would pay them off, and you would go into Total Welfare - with the idea being that you could work off your debt and start over. In practice, however, hardly anybody was able to work off their debt. When only a small amount of money went into your account and you're charged for things like food, the system was pretty much set up to guarantee that the "clients" would fail. UET essentially turned the clients into government-owned slaves that would be forced to work at whatever menial jobs existed within the Welfare Centres and in the outside world.

In later decades, the Welfare system is expanded to not only apply to people who can't pay their debts, but also to political prisoners. Annoy anyone with enough pull and you could find yourself in Welfare, on trumped-up charges.

There's much more to the books than that, of course. But the thing is, the Welfare part of the series could actually happen. This is something I said in a conversation with F.M. Busby himself, when I met him at a convention in the late 1980s. He pooh-poohed it at the time, but I have to wonder what he would think now. Not that anything like this has been instituted, but it would actually be pretty easy to do with our current technology. All it requires is a government willing to suspend or cancel citizens' rights and use the military to enforce that.

Source.

Some of my NaNoWriMo projects in the past few years have been Hulzein saga fanfiction. Busby left so many story threads unused, had just brief mentions of a lot of interesting characters, and he stopped writing in the '90s (he died in 2005). I did a search several years ago to see if any fanfic existed, and came up with nothing other than a plaintive post on someone's LiveJournal, asking if any fanfic existed.

Since I believe this series deserves to be continued and the gaps filled in, I decided to do it myself.

Have you asked your doctor if you can be tested for fibromyalgia?

6. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

I'm in San Jose but for less than 24 hours with no time to see my pals @Hygro or @Owen Glyndwr oh wait Owen moved anyways. SAD. Fake news

Traitorfish, Hygro and Synsensa like this.
  7. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

I know that's why I said that. It's a perversion of our system.

8. Hygro

Hygro soundcloud.com/hygro/

booooooo

Lexicus and hobbsyoyo like this.
  9. Commodore

Commodore Deity

It is. This might be one time though where such a perversion might actually have a positive (relatively) outcome.

10. Ryika

Ryika Lazy Wannabe Artista

boys_and_girls.jpg

This screenshot from the Humble Bundle so perfectly encapsulates the state of Gender in American "Culture". There's one book bundle that is clearly useful for girls... and then there's also the book bundle that consists entirely of books written by self-obsessed culture warriors, who have turned their vagina into their primary selling tool, without... without actually using it. And I mean that literally. I've looked into a few of those books, and they're all terribly written books full of empty statements, and not very fun. I've looked into some of the authors, and as one would expect, they're all culture warriors who, if they're not making their fifth tweet about Trump in a row, talk about nothing but their gender, and act as if they're breaking men's monopoly on writing and comics.

Thankfully, the garbage didn't actually sell very well. The Geek Gals Bundle has 7 hours left and has sold 7,5k copies, the Functional Programming bundle has 5 days left, and already sold 28k copies. Hopefully, many of them were "Gals".

But still... think about that, there's a whole industry around that victim narrative bs that is trying to drag more young girls in, and Humble Bundle happily offers that garbage pile of a bundle side-by-side with a book that is actually useful. I guarantee to you that there's at least one girl somewhere out there, that could only afford to get one of them, and made the wrong choice, and that young girl's life is on you, humble bundle! Because you choose to offer this crap to show the world how virtuous you are, you have willingly led her away from a path that could have led to a great career in programming, towards a future of self-obsession. Shameful. Truly shameful. :sad:

11. Arakhor

Arakhor Dremora Courtier Moderator

They're both Pay What You Want, so you can guarantee that there's someone somewhere who can purchase these bundles but who can only afford $1?

12. Ryika

$1 only gets you the basic bundle which usually contains the "fluff" stuff (except for maybe one item to draw you in), the interesting stuff usually costs $8 or $15. Well, that's not entirely true for the mixed book bundles, as you'll often get the first book of a book series to get you hooked, but in most cases, you probably want to pay more than the $1.

Although... judging by the preview of one of the books from the $15 collection...

https://dl.humble.com/ops/pdfs/thes...1519304574&t=1fe11d8cff12db5439203c813615a6a6

...maybe it's not universally true. :dunno:

13. Snerk

Snerk Smeghead

It's probably not fibromyalgia as I don't really have any muscle pains. Even under heavy stress my muscles is pretty much the only thing in my body that works ;)

14. metatron

metatron unperson

Uppity 'Muricans thought they could win the gold medal in the two-woman bob-sleight.
    The temerity! :)

Staff-Sergeant Jamanka thought otherwise.
    (She's "the brain"; she has some six foot blonde lady for pushing the sleigh and whatnot.)

So... uppity 'Muricans didn't.

#Denied
    #NotYourOlympics

Spoiler :

15. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Alien spiral maker

Germans were 'silver medalists' in back to back world wars?
    I would have thought it was more a case of that footballer, Escobar, in the 1994 world cup :)

16. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

I have developed a minor fear of flying and it sucks. I used to be fine but once I was traveling to/from a funeral and I got maybe 2 hours of sleep in two days. On the flight back, the pilot accidentally throttled back for a split second on take off and the plane dropped all of 5 feet before he throttled back up. No one else even noticed but I felt it and in my delirious, sleep-deprived state I was convinced I was going to die for the entire 3.5 hour flight back. Even while I know this was a totally irrational feeling, I've been unable to shake it.

My flights over the last couple of days were smooth but I was scared the entire flight out. Coming back it was better and I hope I can shake this fear for good soon. :lol: and I want to go to Mars.

17. Synsensa

Synsensa - Retired Moderator

I'm sick today. :(

hobbsyoyo likes this.
  18. Traitorfish

Traitorfish The Tighnahulish Kid

That's the most contrived scenario I've encountered in a good while, and I have a Tumblr account.

19. Ryika

Now why might that be?

20. Traitorfish

Traitorfish The Tighnahulish Kid

I guess I've been more selective in who I follow really.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.