Random Rants Q': I protest against subtitles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, but what about languages such as Czech of which I know just enough to know that the subtitles are bad and/or wrong but not enough to know what the original is saying?

What gets me about subtitles, is when I have my 1/2 hour of news while eating lunch, and al jazeera decides to subtitle rather than dub the person I want to hear, and I cannot eat for that time.

‘a gauche!’
It takes talent to get those two mixed up (said sarcastically). That's something I was taught very early on, when taking French in elementary school.

Yeah, subtitles here get that kind of mixup. Or vous and toi and their equivalents in other languages… imagine the Emperor in Prague being addressed as the equivalent of ‘hey, my dawg!’ by some foreign ambassador in the subtitles.

Or just a few lines going missing at random.

btw the original meaning of the thread's subtitle was meant to be recursive

Yeah, subtitles here get that kind of mixup. Or vous and toi and their equivalents in other languages… imagine the Emperor in Prague being addressed as the equivalent of ‘hey, my dawg!’ by some foreign ambassador in the subtitles.

Or just a few lines going missing at random.

btw the original meaning of the thread's subtitle was meant to be recursive

When Carter was president and visited Poland the interpreter screwed up what he was saying to the point where even Carter was visibly pissed.

WASHINGTON, Dec, 30—Not in many years has the State Department been more embarrassed or subjected to more ridicule than it was today by the flood of press reports from Warsaw about the misfortune of Steven Seymour, the interpreter who did a faulty job for President Carter yesterday.

And nowhere was• the unhappiness more evident than in the second‐floor offices here of the Language Services Division, which assigned Mr. Seymour, a $150-a-day part‐time interpreter, to the Carter mission in the belief that he was the best‐qualified Polish‐English interpreter available.

A full report has not yet been received at the State Department from the embassy in Warsaw that would tell what exactly happened at Warsaw's airport when Mr. Seymour was reported to have translated a reference by President Carter to the Polish people's desires for the future as “your lusts for the future.”

Another time, Mr. Carter's phrase “When I left the United States” was translated into “when I abandoned the United States.” A reference to “Pulaski County” came out “Pulaski Duchy.”

:lol: Worse than JFK calling himself a piece of pastry.

Trust the plan /s
Trumps pardoning cop killers, the rich and democrats. While the Qers are looking at sedition charges now begging for pardons get thrown under the bus.

I don't mind somebody taking their time to find their wallet, count money or speak to the cashier for a few minutes.

I'm usually not in a rush, and even if I was, watching and learning from this is interesting.

What I hate is the awkwardness and the fact that I'm forced to be a part of it and supposed to be restricted.

If you're going to tell your life's story indirectly to the whole line of people behind you, fine, you probably need it.

A few years ago, I had to wait for my turn at the can recycling machine. This usually annoys me very much, and rightfully so because people seem to forget that someone else is waiting.

But this 60 year old guy was something special. He watched every can before he put it in the machine, as he was thinking "when did i drink this" :)

I protest against all badly sound-proofed houses. I lived in a house where, if I needed to relieve myself (you probably know what I mean), the lady in the family downstairs quickly noticed and banged on the ceiling.

The daughter in the family had her room right below my toilet, and got angry when I peed, so I ended up doing that in a bottle in my living room and emptied it a few times a day.

It was fight or flight, and I really didn't want any of those. There was a lot of beer drinking and unnecessary damaging of the liver during that year. It tears down your psyche too.

Failure to communicate? As much my fault as theirs? Absolutely, but I don't pay $600/month to basically live with another family, as maladapted as me.

Many house builders should find themselves another job.

Many house builders should find themselves another job.
The bedroom in my first apartment was directly under the bedroom in the suite above. Let's just say that I knew exactly when my upstairs neighbors were having "intimate relations". :cringe: (Star Trek: Voyager reference in the episode where Seven of Nine is keeping notes on Tom and B'Elanna's interpersonal interactions as part of her research on romance and dating)

I protest against all badly sound-proofed houses. I lived in a house where, if I needed to relieve myself (you probably know what I mean), the lady in the family downstairs quickly noticed and banged on the ceiling.
If you pee against the side of the toilet bowl instead of straight into the water you'll be almost noiseless.

From an old TV show with Bea Arthur.

"Water on water, a sound all can hear;
Water on porcelain no sound to the ear."

If you pee against the side of the toilet bowl instead of straight into the water you'll be almost noiseless.
Just use the automatic toilet machine the way it was meant to be used.
Spoiler :

Weird request but is anyone able to enhance this photo to get a plate? This car was driving down our street checking cars to see which were unlocked. The police are notified of course but I don't know that they'd even bother at this point, to be honest.

Edit... One of the neighbors snagged it, cops notified, etc. Thanks all regardless

Attachments

• PXL_20210128_165950440.jpg
    PXL_20210128_165950440.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 31
Last edited:
I'm totally not going to look at those pictures. :hide:

Actually you can look at Egon's one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom