1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Random Rants XLIX - IT CHAFES MY ARSE!!!

Discussion in 'Picture Threads Archive' started by hobbsyoyo, Aug 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PlutonianEmpire

PlutonianEmpire Socially Awkward Goofball

Rant: My favorite star is now nearly impossible to see, due to fading eyesight from age*, and my glasses are 3 years old already. In addition, it's still too damn low in the sky to see clearly at midnight, and I don't like venturing out after 12:30 am. Especially on weekdays. :mad: And I don't feel like waiting another damned month for it to be high enough at midnight. Frakkin' Earth orbit. :mad:

* = But being visually +4.85 magnitude, it can be seen in my area with 20/20 vision. Away from my town's main highways and commercial districts, of course. Naked eye limit is about +6.

2. Kozmos

Kozmos Jew Detective

My AC unit has just died again and after recent repairs with a 40+ degrees C heat wave incoming. Goddamit.

3. bhsup

bhsup Deity

That puts my planned rant about my cat stealing my bacon in perspective. Sorry, man. Hope you get it fixed before the heatwave hits you.

4. JohannaK

JohannaK Careless Whisperer

Damned flies, they are everywhere. :mad:

5. Takhisis

Takhisis la la la la la

α´: you're a communist, you have no class;
    β´: Greek numerals are better (Cyrillics are allowed for commies);
    γ´: ???????
    δ´: I'd already Harpicked the toilet… it's said to hurt the eyes (profit!) but Bolsheviks are already blind.
    So it is true, a man's brain and his genitalia are one and the same.

6. Arakhor

Arakhor Dremora Courtier Moderator

There is. Try using this mini-mod. :)

Attached Files:

7. Takhisis

Takhisis la la la la la

Don't you have a man of the hour thing like in the Total War series?

8. Antilogic

Antilogic --

I'm getting sick and tired of being mocked for insomnia by my newly-breeding übermensch labmates. It'd be nice if they could knock off the one-upsmanship and just have a little empathy for Christ's sake.

9. ReindeerThistle

ReindeerThistle Zimmerwald Left

Please accept empathy from me. I used to work graveyard shift and got about 4 hours of sleep on a good day.

Just tell them to knock it off -- you work for a living. Insomnia is no joke.

Sent via mobile... and being an effing übermensch is NOT attractive in the long run. You will have last laugh, anyway.

10. Antilogic

Antilogic --

My sleep troubles started with working the graveyard shift. Since then, it's been really hard to fall asleep. I can't count the number of hours I stare at the ceiling.

11. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

Benadryl?

12. Takhisis

Takhisis la la la la la

Herr Antilogik, how much of an aksent do zey haf? Iz it noticeabl? Kan you use it to mok zem?

13. Ajidica

Ajidica High Quality Person

Thanks, is it save-game compatible?

14. Arakhor

Arakhor Dremora Courtier Moderator

I don't see why not, Ajidica. It's only a couple of files.

Antilogic, if you're persistently feeling awake when lying in bed, get up and do something else. Long periods of staying awake in bed apparently make the problem worse, as your brain forgets to associate your bed with sleep.

15. Antilogic

Antilogic --

Because REASONS, I'm not a fan of chemical sleep aid.

The particular offender today doesn't, but I'm not looking to pick fights with my coworkers (surprising, I know). I'd like them to show a bit of humanity instead.

The ship has sailed on that one. I'm trying to only lay down when I'm tired and I think I can fall asleep quickly, but usually the moment my head hits the pillow I'm wide awake. Hopefully the old habit will return if I give it time and keep to the caffeine rules, etc.

16. Takhisis

Takhisis la la la la la

Zen I guess yu undahstood ze moral of ze partikular Community episode dealing vith zis subject. Gut.

17. ReindeerThistle

ReindeerThistle Zimmerwald Left

My transition from graveyard shift to night sleeping was somewhat mitigated by the fact it coincided with the end of my triathlon season AND the start of my organizing life, so I went from working five nights a week, midnight to nine a.m. to sleeping all seven nights. It took about three months. I was reading right before sleep and that helped, but those three months seem like a blur.

Try taking cat naps during the day -- like at lunch and dinner, for a while to at least get the sleep you need, then ween yourself off of them to get back into your circadian rhythm. I live by the clock, so psycho-somatically, midnight was midnight, five pm was five pm -- even though that was when I used to go down. Don't watch TV or get on the computer.

Best I can do for you. And, yeah, stay away from the chemicals.

Sent via mobile; apologies for any mistakes.

18. SamSniped

SamSniped DJ Goodboye

Update on this- the funeral will actually be the day after I was originally getting home. The original intent of this rant is now null and void, but the part about the time I get with my mom is still correct.

19. Kozmos

Kozmos Jew Detective

Not sure why, unless you mean benzos. Try Melissa officinalis tea. A little above average does makes you quite sleepy and it's herbal.

20. Borachio

Borachio Way past lunacy

Uh-oh. Just because something's herbal doesn't make it a good thing.

In fact most modern medicines have a "herbal" origin.

The trouble with "herbs" is that they contain such a complex array of compounds that the causes of any side-effects are really hard to determine in clinical trials.

Whereas if certain chemicals have been isolated from the herbal origin (and probably synthesized because it's cheaper to do so), then at least you can be confident which chemical is causing the effect.

I'd not heard of melissa being used as a soporific before though. Still, according to my book, it is a kind of sedative so why not?

I just eat the stuff in salads. Quite a nice lemon flavour.

One soporific that I do know works well is Valerian roots. (And they sell it in tablet form in health food shops too). The roots themselves don't have a pleasant taste at all. But it will send you to sleep. It is said to be addictive.

The trouble with these things, though, especially with Valerian, is that they work pretty well the first time but less good on subsequent occasions. As I think the body gets habituated to them very quickly.

And the trouble again with soporifics in general is that they tend to change the quality of the sleep you get. And you also wake up after about 4 hours. Not feeling a lot better for having slept.

But maybe that's just me.

Still, everyone's a free agent, so if you want to take herbal remedies then you're definitely free to do so. But you know that anyway. (I'm going to have to write this sort of comment in every single post I make on CFC from now on I think. Which is a bit of a pain.)
    Maybe I'll cook up some generic signature to this effect.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.