Random Thoughts 0o10: Special Limited Deluxe Collector's Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
But when someone becomes legally adult doesn't define "teenager" any more than it defines "cat".

But when someone becomes legally adult doesn't define "teenager" any more than it defines "cat".
I dunno about that. I think 'teenager' and 'adult' are distinct stages in the process of aging, at least in language.

"Is he an adult?"
"No, he's still a teenager."

That bit of dialog wouldn't raise an eyebrow anywhere. Insisting that the 'proper' statement would be "No, he's still a not adult yet" seems like it would be viewed as strange. I also think it would strange to describe an eighteen year old as a "teenage adult."

Ultimately, I don't think this end of the 'official' scale is any more worth arguing about than the other end is, but the colloquial meanings seem pretty obvious.

Well I did say "legally adult", since... that's the phrase I was responding to. Some teenagers are legally adult and some aren't. If the age of legal majority was raised to 27, or lowered to 6, that wouldn't change what a teenager was.

Only 10 more work days before retirement. YAY

Well, whatever you do, don't suddenly take on a new apprentice or agree to appear on a TV show!

Well I did say "legally adult", since... that's the phrase I was responding to. Some teenagers are legally adult and some aren't. If the age of legal majority was raised to 27, or lowered to 6, that wouldn't change what a teenager was.
Re-read my post. I did define what a teenager is. The rest is region-specific context.

I don't need to re-read it Valka, and I never said you didn't define what a teenager is.

Only 10 more work days before retirement. YAY

I'm so jealous

Teenagers are technically 13-19

If someone lives until 113 would they become a teenager again? I wanna say yes but it would be confusing so they probably wouldn't be called a teenager. It's an extremely rare situation anyways.

Last edited:
If someone lives until 113 would they become a teenager again? I wanna say yes but it would be confusing so they probably wouldn't be called a teenager. It's an extremely rare situation anyways.
Centeenager?

By that age, their mental abilities have probably degraded enough that they could qualify as teenagers again.

I'm not sure that's fair to old people.

I know that menstrual cycles synchronize but what I never thought about before is how that may have synchronized the sexual activity of entire villages. It probably was something everyone was aware of and probably had cultural tropes and inside jokes about it that are completely lost on us now. Sure, households and work groups still synchronize, but that's fundamentally different from having everyone you have ever met being on the same schedule and every other village being on their own, separate sex schedule.

I know that menstrual cycles synchronize but what I never thought about before is how that may have synchronized the sexual activity of entire villages. It probably was something everyone was aware of and probably had cultural tropes and inside jokes about it that are completely lost on us now. Sure, households and work groups still synchronize, but that's fundamentally different from having everyone you have ever met being on the same schedule and every other village being on their own, separate sex schedule.
Menstrual syncing isn't real.

Also, the myth doesn't take ovulation into account, which would affect "sex schedule" more than menstruation would.

Menstrual syncing isn't real.

Also, the myth doesn't take ovulation into account, which would affect "sex schedule" more than menstruation would.

Sorry, but this is one place where I can't just concede to "women know best about women." I married a woman who was in the Navy. She lived in a barracks full of women. She had three roommates and she was synced with them, and pretty much every room in the barracks was affected the same way. Complaints like "there is nothing worse than having cramps and having my stupid roommate wanting me to be sympathetic about her cramps" were common. This was before the mechanisms (pheromones) were really understood, but there was no question it was a real thing.

Did you go to college living in a dorm?

Sorry, but this is one place where I can't just concede to "women know best about women." I married a woman who was in the Navy. She lived in a barracks full of women. She had three roommates and she was synced with them, and pretty much every room in the barracks was affected the same way. Complaints like "there is nothing worse than having cramps and having my stupid roommate wanting me to be sympathetic about her cramps" were common. This was before the mechanisms (pheromones) were really understood, but there was no question it was a real thing.

Did you go to college living in a dorm?
There've been scientific studies debunking the previous work done on that.

Cases where we think we're in sync are due to probability. In a group of three women, there's a good chance you're period will overlap with at least one of them often enough. There's no evidence that this happens with any kind of consistency, it's coincidental. I've been "in sync" with other women before, and I know how easy it is to think it's more than just coincidence.

There are things, like stress, which can affect your cycles. If you're with a group of women who are all undergoing the same type of stress, then yes it's very possible all of your cycles could be affected in the same way.

And those studies which tried to talk about menstruation syncing, didn't find any correlation whatsoever with ovulation, which is what your hormones are really about and what would affect sex patterns. Several women saying "I'm on my period," "Oh, me too!" doesn't mean they've formed some kind of pheromone-induced special fertility link.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom