Random thoughts 1: Just Sayin'

Status
Not open for further replies.
And in your view of the world, every conservative fits one of those two boxes?

It's possible to be conservative without voting conservative. It's not possible to vote conservative without intentionally harming other people.

Okaaaay.

Wait, can we say "Dick" (as in, a person who acts badly, not male "word for male genitalia"), or does "Dickwad" mean something different?

Maybe I should have said more polite instead.

well you can't because you'll try to find limits with it
Not true at all, I've been a nice and competent forum member for almost a month now!

Playlists that have the word "Eurodance" in them are playlists that you can listen to for hours without ever hearing a song that doesn't make you move your body to the beat.

Please tell me that they include ‘move your body’ by Eiffel 65.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Subscribe to youtube creators who create content that you enjoy.
It ‘rhymes’.

Please tell me that they include ‘move your body’ by Eiffel 65.
Ironically, most of them don't, but they really should.

Sleep that knits up the raveled sleeve of care.

People like to think that Western Culture is superior, but then you compare Western Animation to Eastern Animation and you realize it's all just a lie.

I agree mostly, but only if we're talking about contemporary animation. Because contemporary western animation sucks. However 1910s and 1920s avant garde animation was truly peak performance.

Abstract animation took off in Germany in the late 20s, but the Nazis called it "degenerate" and with that the movement ended as quickly as it ignited. Some movies survived, for example Lotte Reiniger's "Adventures of Prince Achmed" which every fan of animation should see, really.

Fantasmagorie (1908) is also a good watch, it's very short. American animation later peaked with Disney's Fantasia, an absolute masterpiece, but few people know about "Allegro non Troppo", which is like an adult parody of Fantasia. It's glorious.

If we count stop-motion as animation then Jan Svankmajers shorts and all the films that Ray Harryhausen has been a part of are a 100% must watch. CGI """"""animation""""""" mostly just ****** me off. I think the genre lost its edge when it went from creating an artistic experience enjoyable for everyone to catering specifically to children and throwing in one or two adult jokes for good measure.

It's possible to be conservative without voting conservative. It's not possible to vote conservative without intentionally harming other people.

I agree with your post, in fact I want to take it a few steps further. Voting conservative and being conservative are almost mutually exclusive. "To conserver" in its original definition, means to keep up the status quo. The Republican party otoh is hellbent on destroying this planet in the next few decades. It is the exact opposite of conservatism. Donald Trump was a huge change. He literally stood for change, his slogan was "Make America Great Again!". He never advocated for keeping things the way they are, he wanted to go back to some long-lost ideal. His platform is reactionary, not conservative.

I agree with your post, in fact I want to take it a few steps further. Voting conservative and being conservative are almost mutually exclusive. "To conserver" in its original definition, means to keep up the status quo. The Republican party otoh is hellbent on destroying this planet in the next few decades. It is the exact opposite of conservatism. Donald Trump was a huge change. He literally stood for change, his slogan was "Make America Great Again!". He never advocated for keeping things the way they are, he wanted to go back to some long-lost ideal. His platform is reactionary, not conservative.

The fact that most people claiming to be conservative are not is not quite the same problem, But it magnifies the problem of voting 'conservative', since most of the 'conservative' candidates for office are not either. If a conservative voter is legitimately a conservative voter, they can't vote for 'conservative' candidates, because those candidates are anything but conservative.

Here's another random thought - maybe you should keep these to yourself for the sake of appearances here.

Since when have I ever indicated I care about what others think of me, whether it be here or in real life?

My father would have plenty to say about people who make those sorts of comments, mostly along the lines of "well, if you don't care, why should anyone else?"

Last edited by a moderator:
My father would have plenty to say about people who make those sorts of comments, mostly along the lines of "well, if you don't care, why should anyone else?"

There's a George Carlin bit about people who quote the "wisdom" of their fathers. I won't post it here though as it might be considered trolling. I'm sure you can find it though.

Also, that little bit of "wisdom" doesn't make a whole lot of sense here. I said I don't care about what other people think of me, so you respond by saying if I don't care why should anyone else. But what is it others wouldn't be caring about here? Well let's break it down:

What is it I'm not caring about here? Well, I am not caring about what others think of me.

So if I don't care, you (or rather your father) claim others won't care as well.

So that means others won't care what others think of me? Do I have that right? If so then I must ask: why would others care what others think of me in the first place?

Setting aside the fact that not caring what others think is always conditional, if you end up in a situation where not only don't you care what others think, but everyone else knows that you don't care what they think, then you've failed as a sensible community-minded adult. But, since you claim not to care, I don't need to spend time explaining this to you because you don't care anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom