Random Thoughts 2: Arbitrary Speculations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lupita Nyong'o is half-Mexican IIRC.

She’s Mexican as she was born in Mexico

Racial groups are a rather arbitrary social construct. There is also often more genetic diversity between individuals from neighboring villages in Africa than there is between any random individuals from any country outside of Africa. The Irish and Chinese are more genetically similar to each other than are black Africans from ethnic groups that appear identical to outsiders. Of course, African-Americans often carry more European genetic markers than African ones, as most are descended from white masters who raped black slaves.

Well, I hardly ever see people bring up allele diagrams when talking about how diverse a piece of media is.

Replying here since it's off-topic.
I think that unless you hit the engine block your average armor piercing round will pass right through a car without detonating, and even if it does detonate it would probably be out the other side before it went off. But I can't say from actual experience.
Ah, I was thinking more ATGM (I'm sure they have contact detonation modes) than APFSDS.

Last edited:
French food: I don't get it.

I mean, it's fine. I had coq au vin once, and I don't regret it, but I never need to have it again. A nice omelette or quiche hits the spot, once every couple of years. But when I was in Paris, I went to French, Moroccan, Vietnamese, Chinese, Spanish and Italian restaurants, and it was the French that was the least interesting. Do I keep getting mediocre or bad French food? Maybe jaded, metropolitan Paris is actually a bad place to get French food? Anyway, it's not bad or anything, but I think I'd rate 10 or 12 cuisines ahead of the French food I've had.

I sometimes fantasize about taking up a new interesting and eccentric hobby.
Like sending anonymous letters made out of newspaper clippings to the police, mocking them for all the times I got away with petty misdemeanours like jaywalking or smoking weed.

I mean, it's fine. I had coq au vin once, and I don't regret it, but I never need to have it again. A nice omelette or quiche hits the spot, once every couple of years. But when I was in Paris, I went to French, Moroccan, Vietnamese, Chinese, Spanish and Italian restaurants, and it was the French that was the least interesting. Do I keep getting mediocre or bad French food? Maybe jaded, metropolitan Paris is actually a bad place to get French food? Anyway, it's not bad or anything, but I think I'd rate 10 or 12 cuisines ahead of the French food I've had.

I don't get it either, most of it just seems like good comfort food which imo Italian does better, or like fancy cuisine, but even then it's not super exciting, even if it takes some technique and preparation. Also for home cooking most of it is too complicated for what it is. Again just one man's opinion.

Other than a few signature dishes I've never fully grasped what french cuisine really is all about.

Luckily for you I'm a skilled distance healer. I'll give you a flu-be-gone for free but if you want a stamina boost as well it'll be 14.99
Do you accept bottle caps?
The majority of the cast of Black Panther is Hispanic? That's news.
They're Korean, right?

Top 10 cuisines?
Not in any order, but off the top of my head, I guess I'd rate Chinese, Thai, Vietnamese, Mexican, Italian, Indian, Spanish, Middle Eastern, Greek and American as my top 10.

I don't get it either, most of it just seems like good comfort food which imo Italian does better, or like fancy cuisine, but even then it's not super exciting, even if it takes some technique and preparation. Also for home cooking most of it is too complicated for what it is. Again just one man's opinion.
I've never been to one of the really fancy French restaurants, either.

I hardly ever see people bring up allele diagrams
Days of Domen past…
Not in any order, but off the top of my head, I guess I'd rate Chinese, Thai, Vietnamese, Mexican, Italian, Indian, Spanish, Middle Eastern, Greek and American as my top 10.
Have you eaten those in their countries of origin rather than the USified version? I haven't tasted the latter (nor, I must admit, most of the former ones) so I couldn't be sure.

Have you eaten those in their countries of origin rather than the USified version? I haven't tasted the latter (nor, I must admit, most of the former ones) so I couldn't be sure.
No, in most cases it's been American restaurants, New England and New York, more specifically. I don't know if there's any good Mexican food around here at all, even of the 'Americanized' variety. I think I'd have to go to Texas or California, if not to Mexico. I know that the Indian food around here is (a) all the same and (b) not representative of what Indians actually eat (an Indian woman I knew called it "wedding food", and was about ready to give up an ovary for some 'normal' Indian food). There are some pretty authentic Chinese restaurants in our local 'Chinatown.' I don't know how authentic the Thai and Vietnamese food is around here. I've had Chinese food in Hong Kong, French food in France, and Japanese food in Japan. Even the American food I've had has been mainly in the Northeast. I've never had Texas barbecue in Texas or cajun food in Louisiana.

Tying two threads together, the Indian restaurant in Daredevil with the insane decorations is a real place: Panna Garden in the East Village. It's like eating dinner in a David Lynch movie. You might have an acid flashback, whether you've ever tried acid or not.

Other than a few signature dishes I've never fully grasped what french cuisine really is all about.
Butter and cream, near as I've been able to make out.

Tying two threads together, the Indian restaurant in Daredevil with the insane decorations is a real place: Panna Garden in the East Village. It's like eating dinner in a David Lynch movie. You might have an acid flashback, whether you've ever tried acid or not.

I always figured that Matt Murdock ate there because he's blind.

I thought it'd be fun to take a song, import it several times in Audacity, and change all of them to different pitches. Instead, I think I've accidentally summoned up some sort of eldritch horror.

Sorry I missed this!
She’s Mexican as she was born in Mexico
I meant half-Mexican from the ethnic point of view. One parent is and the other black African.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom