Random Thoughts 2: Arbitrary Speculations

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's possible in theory for something to exist and be intolerable at the same time....

My cat begins grooming herself aggressively after I pet her. I think she likes the way I taste. This worries me.
Or maybe she's irritated? If she liked the way you taste, she'd be licking you (face, hands, arms).

Some cats go through phases when they just get annoyed at being touched. Or there could be some other reason. Has your cat been exhibiting any other unusual behaviors lately? Is the texture of her hair the same as usual, or has anything changed?

She likes being petted. Unless I do it too much, and then she usually lets me know with her ears or tail or something. (My mother just keeps petting her anyways and then yells when she inevitably gets bit or scratched.) Sometimes she'll lick my fingers or my hair though. Or sit on my face when I'm trying to sleep...

Black olives AND mayo are delicious

My cat begins grooming herself aggressively after I pet her. I think she likes the way I taste. This worries me.
My cat usually grooms herself after a petting too. I see it as just fixing her hair or something. I think it's normal cat behaviour.
I'm writing you out of my will.
So more for me?

My cat usually grooms herself after a petting too. I see it as just fixing her hair or something. I think it's normal cat behaviour.

Yes. I already said, they don't like our smelly oils on their fur.

She likes being petted. Unless I do it too much, and then she usually lets me know with her ears or tail or something. (My mother just keeps petting her anyways and then yells when she inevitably gets bit or scratched.) Sometimes she'll lick my fingers or my hair though. Or sit on my face when I'm trying to sleep...
That's normal. :lol:

Although licking hair might be a problem. If cats actually ingest it, it can cause problems in their digestive system.

Chloe used to hop up on the chair behind me when I was on the computer or watching TV, and she'd run her paws through my hair. I think in another life she used to be a hairdresser. I had to warn someone of that when he visited, that if he sat in a particular place, the cat would probably want to do his hair.

Sure enough, she did... and it was a bit of a painful experience, since he doesn't have any hair.

It was different with Gussy, though. His reasoning was, "Mommy pets me, so I'm going to pet Mommy." It was part of his bedtime ritual to do that. (and no, I'm not fantasizing about the "mommy" part; Gussy was very young when I adopted him as a feral kitten; he got separated from his real mother a bit too early, and imprinted on me)

Pickled Strawberries?
:ack:

Normal grooming is fine. Aimee mentioned that her cat is into aggressive grooming. That can indicate a medical problem.

@aimeeandbeatles: It might be worth your while to call your vet and ask about this. Describe what's happening and under what circumstances, and the vet can advise you if it's something to be concerned about.

As I mentioned, some cats seem to go through phases, like little kids, when they just don't want to be touched, and they express this by grooming in the exact place where they were touched. But there are times when this could mean some sort of skin irritation, soreness, etc. and might need to be looked at by a vet.

At heart, maybe.
Just wait until you get old enough for the seniors' discount. I'll be 55 in three months.

Just wait until you get old enough for the seniors' discount. I'll be 55 in three months.
I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

I would advise taking the discussion on salad to a food thread. It's potentially interesting enough to warrant its own time in the sun.

Unless you're a hundred years old that's simply not true.

You do not strike me as someone who is 33 years old.

I sorta miss train journeys. Used to be, when I lived up in Dundee, I'd come into Glasgow maybe once a month, which meant spending ninety minutes or so on a train or bus. I don't love the process itself, never been comfortable with anything involving timetables, but there's something liberating about a couple of hours where you don't simply have nothing to do, there's nothing you could be doing, where there's no sense that you should be spending your time more productively, because however you piss away that time is about as productive as it's realistically going to be. There's no nagging, back-of-the-mind sense that you should really be doing something useful. Now that I live within five miles of anywhere I'm likely to want to be, I don't really get that opportunity for that sort of justified nothingness.

Unfortunately, it's not something you can contrive, because then you are just wasting time. Has to happen naturally or it doesn't work.

Last edited:
I would advise taking the discussion on salad to a food thread. It's potentially interesting enough to warrant its own time in the sun.
But then it would wilt.
You do not strike me as someone who is 33 years old.
Hahaha! I am more or less like @Plotinus in that respect. A few months ago I made the mistake of shaving off my beard the very day before going to engage the state bureaucracy. The first thing they did was turn to face my beloved female progenitor and ask her whether she had my ID on her.
I sorta miss train journeys. Used to be, when I lived up in Dundee, I'd come into Glasgow maybe once a month, which meant spending ninety minutes or so on a train or bus. I don't love the process itself, never been comfortable with anything involving timetables, but there's something liberating about a couple of hours where you don't simply have nothing to do, there's nothing you could be doing, where there's no sense that you should be spending your time more productively, because however you piss away that time is about as productive as it's realistically going to be. There's no nagging, back-of-the-mind sense that you should really be doing something useful. Now that I live within five miles of anywhere I'm likely to want to be, I don't really get that opportunity for that sort of justified nothingness.

Unfortunately, it's not something you can contrive, because then you are just wasting time. Has to happen naturally or it doesn't work.
I get the liberating feeling (and also some much-needed exercise) from walking to places rather than riding buses or the tube. It's just my feet moving while I get to think things up (it's actually helped me solve difficult assignments for uni or break writer's block, among other things).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom