1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Random Thoughts 9: Attack of the Vapid Posts

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by hobbsyoyo, Feb 20, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cutlass

Cutlass The Man Who Wasn't There.

Where Lemon is, the government runs the liquor stores. So the government is your pot dealer now.

2. Synsensa

Synsensa Deity Retired Moderator

I haven't been able to make it to the grocery store for over a week, and all the delivery services here are still unusable. And even when I could make it to the store, I was never able to get everything I needed, either because of the weight or things being out of stock. Someone recommended TaskRabbit so I signed up there, and in theory, someone should be delivering groceries later tonight.

Will report back in the raves or rants thread. I might post in rants even if it does go well because of the cost.

The_J, Birdjaguar and Cutlass like this.
  3. Valka D'Ur

Valka D'Ur Hosting Iron Pen in A&E Retired Moderator

Zellers was one of those affordable department stores that could either be really good or a dump, depending on how well the individual store was managed. I've seen both extremes here, depending on whether the store was downtown or after it migrated to the mall on the south end of town.

I still have and wear some of the clothes I bought there, still have a game and some costume jewelry, and I loved the yarn section, because Zellers had shades and dye lots of yarn that no other store in town had. And since it was tucked away in a corner most other people didn't wander into, I had my pick of what was available. I still remember that they carried the exact shade of orange needed to make Garfield bookmarks (needlepoint), and I haven't been able to find that since.

The downtown Zellers didn't have the restaurant, but that was added when they moved into the mall. My dad's girlfriend worked there after the other restaurant she worked at burned down, and she was always bringing back all sorts of weird stuff just to use her staff discount.

My memory of the restaurant is that as coffee shops go, it was... adequate. It served its purpose for people who wanted lunch or a snack, but nothing to really write home about. But by that point some of my allergies were preventing me from trying some of the offerings, so I may not have even had a chance to form an opinion of the types of things @Synsensa might have liked.

I remember the time before we had Zellers... there were all these ads on TV for the kind of things you'd find on a home shopping channel nowadays, and the announcer would rattle off a list of stores where you could buy whatever they were selling. Zellers was always on the list, and I recall wondering what that mysterious-sounding place was like.

Well, I found out, and over the years we bought a lot of stuff there. I remember being happy when I found a holiday gift set of candies and cookies, because it included a long, oblong wooden tray to serve this stuff on, along with several small wooden bowls. This was in the late '80s and I'd been searching all over town for dishes suitable for medieval feasts. This gift box was on the pricey side, but I couldn't care less about the treats - I wanted the wooden dishes. So the serving tray became the trencher in my nef kit. I think I still have a couple of the bowls around somewhere (it's been over 20 years since my last medieval feast).

They had a loyalty program as well, called "Club Zed". I eventually saved up enough points for a small table, and was inching up toward something else when they canceled the program.

Zellers went out of business and Target moved into its place. Target's expansion into Canada was a disaster, because of the lack of inventory (shelves were half-bare most of the time), lack of affordable prices (honestly, Canadians are not that gullible), and lack of online shopping. They built it, we came, found it not to our liking, and left. And they stiffed most of the staff on the final wages and severance they were supposed to get. So we don't have Target here, and I can't think of anyone I've noticed that is upset about that. We just wish we had Zellers back.

This varies from province to province. In Alberta the liquor sales were privatized a long time ago.

haroon likes this.
  4. shadowplay

shadowplay (boss music)

Zellers was basically like a Wal Mart that a tornado tore through and no one bothered to clean up.

Timsup2nothin likes this.
  5. Broken_Erika

Broken_Erika Nothing

My aunt once found shirts at Zellers that had tire tracks on them....

6. haroon

haroon Deity

I don't know what is Zellers

7. aimeeandbeatles

aimeeandbeatles watermelon

haroon likes this.
  8. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Quad B

We have that! Ross' Dress For Less. Just the clothing department, but that is the absolute perfect description.

shadowplay likes this.
  9. haroon

haroon Deity

Canadian and USians seems to consist 3/4 of the population here in OT :lol:

10. Valka D'Ur

Valka D'Ur Hosting Iron Pen in A&E Retired Moderator

Parts of the one here were like that. But finally I got tired of navigating a maze of stuff left on the floor (ladders, boxes of inventory, empty boxes, and stuff that fell off the shelves and nobody picked it up). I went to the checkout and complained to the staff that the store was a mess, customers shouldn't have to step around stuff that was on the floor, and would they put things away when they were done.

Walmart is bad for leaving gigantic boxes of inventory in the middle of an aisle. If they go on a break or if it's the end of the shift they should at least push it out of the way so people can get past.

11. GoodSarmatian

GoodSarmatian Jokerfied Western Male

I have come to the conclusion that I died and went to hell or purgatory in 2005.
    This is all a farce.

The_J and Cutlass like this.
  12. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Quad B

It was notably better before 2005? I don't recall that, really.

13. GoodSarmatian

GoodSarmatian Jokerfied Western Male

That's something a demon would say.

14. Takhisis

Takhisis Free Hong Kong

Dark as in ‘no lighting up’?

15. shadowplay

shadowplay (boss music)

I'm relieved to discover my Cadbury cream eggs are certified kosher.

tjs282, Traitorfish and The_J like this.
  16. shadowplay

shadowplay (boss music)

Just saw a Canada Post van on the street... on a Sunday.

Mind. Blown.

17. Synsensa

Wow, nobody had any thoughts for a week?

You know what? I respect that. I wish that were me.

18. Snerk

Snerk Smeghead

Life isn't that bad these days so I'm pretty sure it's up to something.

19. Synsensa

We're both neighbour to countries insistent on aggressively making the wrong decisions, so I fear you may have just doomed us all. Where will you be when Sweden strikes?

20. Snerk

Snerk Smeghead

Nah Sweden's alright. Probably. Hmm.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.