Random Thoughts IV: the Abyss Gazes Back

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ooooh how I love this, from now on I'm calling all of my plans/errands my "quests!"

Oh dear, sleeping until 10 am? I feel really guilty if I sleep in until 7 am, even on my days off I'm up by six. If I'm still in bed by eight, you know I must be really sick. I like completing my quests early and getting ahead of the rush (I'm extremely introverted and I very much dislike large crowds), and I just feel better when I can just relax later. I feel by noon half my day's already over, I struggle understanding how people can sleep in so late, lol. Oh but of course, I'm always in bed well before 10 pm, so that must seem pretty strange to some people.
I'm very much a B person with a capital B. Getting up at 7am is nothing short of torture unless I have exciting plans. Unless I have a required early start my alarm is set to go off 9.30 and I aim to get up before 10 am. However sometimes if I have to opportunity I just go sod it let's sleep some more and suddenly the clock is past midday. If it's a Sunday then OK but if it's like a Tuesday I'll feel a bit guilty.

I have a new across-the-hall neighbor.

Apparently she has a cat, which I discovered the other night when Maddy started freaking out. I heard a cat outside the door and thought, great - somebody's cat got out - but when I checked, the sound was coming from the suite across the hall.

So there will be occasional cat hissing matches, but it's a lot better than the constantly crying babies that were there before.

I was playing around with some PDF optimizers to see if I could get better filesizes. I messed up slightly, though, because I ended up with a 109-megabyte file with all blank pages. The original file was 19 megabytes.

I'm very much a B person with a capital B. Getting up at 7am is nothing short of torture unless I have exciting plans. Unless I have a required early start my alarm is set to go off 9.30 and I aim to get up before 10 am. However sometimes if I have to opportunity I just go sod it let's sleep some more and suddenly the clock is past midday. If it's a Sunday then OK but if it's like a Tuesday I'll feel a bit guilty.
I find it so fascinating how different people are .. may I ask how late you stay up at night? I get depressed when it's dark out, and I find I just can't be in bed if there's any daylight, and once that sun sets I notice my energy dropping really quickly. Sometimes it's difficult for me when I have company over who want to stay up until midnight, I'm practically a zombie, and then I'm up early next morning waiting to make breakfast (which quickly has to turn into lunch when they sleep past 11!)

Why on earth would you hang around in bed when you've already woken up? I can't do that.

I find it so fascinating how different people are .. may I ask how late you stay up at night? I get depressed when it's dark out, and I find I just can't be in bed if there's any daylight, and once that sun sets I notice my energy dropping really quickly. Sometimes it's difficult for me when I have company over who want to stay up until midnight, I'm practically a zombie, and then I'm up early next morning waiting to make breakfast (which quickly has to turn into lunch when they sleep past 11!)
During my life there's been some different eras of my sleep pattern or lack of thereof, but for the last few years it's been somewhat stable. My general sleep aim is usually to get to bed as early as possible. However if I'm sleepy at like 9pm it's very risky to go to bed as I may just enter nap mode and wake up at midnight feeling refreshed and not getting tired again until early morning. Result, everything is awful.
I'll usually start to get tired and get to bed between 00.00-01.00. Drifting off to sleep before 01.00 is a great scenario. But sometimes it's later. Sometimes it's a lot later. I'll be very tired but still can't get to sleep.
I'll usually wake up before my alarm call at 09.30 but I'll still be tired. From then on it's a matter of willpower/mood/plans/having to go for a wee. Usually I'll get up around 10. sometimes much later.
Why on earth would you hang around in bed when you've already woken up? I can't do that.
Hanging around in bed in the morning is life's highest pleasure. The bed is warm and comfy. The world outside it is cruel and cold. Add a smartphone and a warm cat and/or a dog to your bed arsenal, and it's really hard to find a good reason to exit your castle of comfort.

I've got one word for you, just one word

depression
Snerk's post implied that he didn't know what was causing it.

Hanging around in bed in the morning is life's highest pleasure. The bed is warm and comfy. The world outside it is cruel and cold. Add a smartphone and a warm cat and/or a dog to your bed arsenal, and it's really hard to find a good reason to exit your castle of comfort.

Then your vestigial Protestant work ethic should indeed be making you feel guilty. :p

Me too. Up with the sun. Asleep with the sun.
I love the idea of Zkribbler and Mary coming to northern Norway and just hibernating through the winter and staying up 24/7 during the summer.
Then your vestigial Protestant work ethic should indeed be making you feel guilty. :p
Yeah but not guilty enough! ;) Zzzzz

During my life there's been some different eras of my sleep pattern or lack of thereof, but for the last few years it's been somewhat stable. My general sleep aim is usually to get to bed as early as possible. However if I'm sleepy at like 9pm it's very risky to go to bed as I may just enter nap mode and wake up at midnight feeling refreshed and not getting tired again until early morning. Result, everything is awful.
I'll usually start to get tired and get to bed between 00.00-01.00. Drifting off to sleep before 01.00 is a great scenario. But sometimes it's later. Sometimes it's a lot later. I'll be very tired but still can't get to sleep.
I'll usually wake up before my alarm call at 09.30 but I'll still be tired. From then on it's a matter of willpower/mood/plans/having to go for a wee. Usually I'll get up around 10. sometimes much later.
I love that feeling of waking up in the middle of the night, having felt like you've had a solid sleep and thinking it's like 4am, and then you notice it's barely after 12. I drink some water and crawl back into bed for many hours of blissful sleep (that's usually when I have my best dreams too)

I love that feeling where it's freezing cold in your room, but your bed is piled up with many blankets, and you sort of run and dive into your bed to get under your covers quickly, where it's soft and warm. I can't say I love laying in bed though, I'd much rather get up, have my breakfast quick, then make myself a cup of tea and curl up with a book and my cat.

Oh and if I'm in bed past six, my cat will literally crawl up onto my chest and start meowing in my face.

Oh and if I'm in bed past six, my cat will literally crawl up onto my chest and start meowing in my face.
Luckily I'm blessed with a cat and a dog who loves sleeping in almost as much as I do.

If I don't need to wake up at any particular time, I turn off the alarm clock and just sleep for as long as my body decides it needs to sleep. Usually that means I wake up around noon depending on how sleep deprived I am. The longest I've slept all at once is 19 hours after a particularly long and uncomfortable flight from New Zealand. :sleep:

Luckily I'm blessed with a cat and a dog who loves sleeping in almost as much as I do.

My dogs love sleeping in...which they define as going back to sleep after having their breakfast. Breakfast, by imperial canine edict, shall be served at the designated time plus or minus fifteen minutes lest all hell break loose. Obviously sleeping in is not on my list of allowed activities.

My dogs love sleeping in...which they define as going back to sleep after having their breakfast. Breakfast, by imperial canine edict, shall be served at the designated time plus or minus fifteen minutes lest all hell break loose. Obviously sleeping in is not on my list of allowed activities.
My cat can get breakfast impatient but weirdly enough my dog doesn't care much about food at all. He eats but he's all meh about it.

If your plans/errands/quests for the day don't require you to get up early. Should you still strive to do it? And I don't mean dead early but at least before 10 am or something.

I feel a bit guilty when I lounge in my bed past midday or so but on the OTOH the stuff I have to do I can just as well do during afternoon and evening so why do I feel guilty? Is there some lingering protestant work ethics shame at play here?

Na, screw all of that. Do whatever you like.
And yes, probably the last thing. Getting up early and going to bed early are seen as the more desirable thing.
I've accepted for myself that I cannot do that, and that this is okay. I'm more of a night person, and cannot keep strict schedules (not even for going to bed, although I try before midnight if I have to work the next day), and I think that is okay.
Just enjoy the time you have. If you still manage everything you want, then this should be fine, right?

My cat can get breakfast impatient but weirdly enough my dog doesn't care much about food at all. He eats but he's all meh about it.

Be aware that sled dogs view their entire existence through a reflection in the bottom of their food bowl.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom