Rasist Cake

LucyDuke

staring at the clock

Sweden's culture minister is facing calls to step down after she was photographed cutting a cake designed like an African tribal woman.

The artist behind the cake, Makode Linde, who is black but was born in Stockholm, said the work had been misunderstood.

He told TT: "Considering the poor offering of art in Sweden that could be defined as African-Swedish, one would have hoped that the people in the National Association for African Swedes were more aware of the artwork that I do."

The news agency reported that Ms Liljeroth had said she could "understand that this can feel provocative".

The cake was in the shape of the naked upper body of an African woman and was filled with a blood-red sponge. Mr Linde painted his own face and took the place of the head.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-17749533

So uh... who thought this was a good idea? :lol:

And why should the minister step down for cutting a ridiculous cake someone else made? Should she have refused? "No, that cake is rasist, I can't cut it!"?

"You refuse to cut a cake that looks like a black person? You racist!"

Incidents like that is exactly why political oversensibility is doing us no good.

Damn was that TNG episode scary!

So anything depicting a black person is racist? There has to be something else involved here, what was the event for? I can't open the link.

According to Radio Sweden, the museum said the cake was supposed to highlight the issue of female circumcision.....

Is this the lietmotif of our times - just endlessly spamming nonsense pseudo-racism journalism at every opportunity, purely because it gets people's attention, divides them, and manipulates them like the gullible little sheep they are, so that they don't pay attention to the real issues?

/rant over

It's the head that amazes me. And the term "female circumcision", but that's only tangentially relevant.

This is a relevant issue for the "PC" thread.

So uh... who thought this was a good idea? :lol:

And why should the minister step down for cutting a ridiculous cake someone else made? Should she have refused? "No, that cake is rasist, I can't cut it!"?

It's a carricature! Of course it's offensive!

You can't address the mutilation of millions and millions of young girls with this Santa Claus equivalent of a jolly overweight tribeswoman. Obviously the Minister should not step down. She was supposed to usher in the event not to act as an art critic.

*nowreadingthearticle*

"crude caricature" - Exactly!

I wouldn't call the cake "racist" though. Just stupid and insensitive.

I'd view the cake as a protected art form and it's intent as a means to communicate a social issue is perfectly valid. I see no attempt/intent to denigrate a race in the creation of this food-as-art project. Cutting the cake is perfectly acceptable as it is a food, and food is meant to be served.

It reminds me of the baby cake. Of course, nobody would find that offensive.

This is clearly a Storm in a tea cup. What doesn't people find offensive nowadays?

Hey, I'm an evil degenerate liberal atheist and I don't find it that offensive really.

But, then, I find that I always lack this 'white guilt' conservatives seem positive I must be riddled with.

According to Radio Sweden, the museum said the cake was supposed to highlight the issue of female circumcision.....

...I think this is actually more shocking to me. How could the cake designer think this was appropriate for highlighting female circumcision?

Top Bottom