RB1 - Cuban Isolationists

ChrTh said:
One would think this is off-topic, but it really isn't ...

I got my copy of Hoyle Puzzle and Board Games today :D

I'd almost dare you to think of something that IS off topic for this thread... but I'm sure you could think of something...

Now I have to go and find a copy of Foucault's Pendulum....

thedaian said:
I'd almost dare you to think of something that IS off topic for this thread...

This morning while going to class, I saw a guy walking down the street who looked suspiciously like U2's Edge and I did an awkward double-take. But seeing how I've never seen the Edge in real life before, I wouldn't know...

You asked for it man :crazyeye:

This thread is #1 on google when searching for Cuban Isolationists:

The dotmaps are done in paint or whatever editing software is to hand. You can do something similar in the game's strategic overview by marking the tiles as landmarks, but it's less effort to draw them on afterward.

BeefontheBone said:
The dotmaps are done in paint or whatever editing software is to hand. You can do something similar in the game's strategic overview by marking the tiles as landmarks, but it's less effort to draw them on afterward.

What annoys me about the strategy layer is that the lines you draw are lost if you save and load the game. Does anyone know a way around this? If the strategy layer was preserved across reloads, it would be ideal for dotmaps in my opinion. That way, you'd be sure that the next player in a SG sees your dotmap before (actually, while) playing. So if the dotmap is disregarded, at least you know it's intentional :)

ChrTh said:
Spatzimus: The A+666 is immaterial. The original plan got interrupted; the culmination date is still set for the future of the current date, but it's immaterial because the plan was interrupted. After that happened, the original plan falls by the wayside and it doesn't matter anymore when things are supposed to occur.

The original plan said that it'd start on June 23, 1344, with five intervals of 120 years (up to 1944), but the way I read it was that the final event would happen 666 years later, in the Year of the Beast, regardless of what happened on the intervening dates. If the date didn't matter any more, why was everyone else so set on holding the ceremony on June 23, 2000? Plus, during that ceremony, one mentions that they SHOULD have met back in the 1940s, so they thought the plan was still going even with the interruptions.

The math error was in Chapter 19, page 138 in my copy:
"They knew that throughout the occult tradition 666 was the number of the Beast, and the six hundred and sixty-sixth year was the year of the Beast. Well, the six hundred and sixty-sixth year after 1344 is the year 2000, when the Templars' revenge will triumph."

1344+666=2010. And keep in mind, this is supposed to be a numerologist making this statement. Now, granted, he's portrayed as being freakin' nuts. But still, it seemed that this whole 2000 logic was the entire reason the events in the book were happening at the current time, so you can't just write it off as being one man's mistake.

Still a really good book, of course.

Spatzimaus said:
The original plan said that it'd start on June 23, 1344, with five intervals of 120 years (up to 1944), but the way I read it was that the final event would happen 666 years later, in the Year of the Beast, regardless of what happened on the intervening dates. If the date didn't matter any more, why was everyone else so set on holding the ceremony on June 23, 2000? Plus, during that ceremony, one mentions that they SHOULD have met back in the 1940s, so they thought the plan was still going even with the interruptions.

The math error was in Chapter 19, page 138 in my copy:
"They knew that throughout the occult tradition 666 was the number of the Beast, and the six hundred and sixty-sixth year was the year of the Beast. Well, the six hundred and sixty-sixth year after 1344 is the year 2000, when the Templars' revenge will triumph."

1344+666=2010. And keep in mind, this is supposed to be a numerologist making this statement. Now, granted, he's portrayed as being freakin' nuts. But still, it seemed that this whole 2000 logic was the entire reason the events in the book were happening at the current time, so you can't just write it off as being one man's mistake.

Still a really good book, of course.

Knowing Eco, we're supposed to catch that mistake. This is the guy who brings them the list, right? As you point out, he's more-or-less a lunatic.

But 2000 isn't why the book is happening in current time -- as mentioned, the last meeting was supposed to happen in 1944. The "should" references the fact that it didn't because because of the confusion, in other words "We didn't get the chance to meet in 1944, but we're meeting now" ... the book doesn't take place in 2000, iirc. Based on the historical events discussed in the book (er, the modern ones), it's taking place in the mid-80s, I'm pretty sure.

As for June 23rd, well, that's the anniversary of the Hay Wain. The Pendulum won't work with the map on any other day (according to the Plan) because it depends upon the light striking it correctly.

I've been following this game since day 1 but lost internet for 10 days and have finally caught up. Looking forward to the final push and hoping Sirian will be up and running real soon. Go Cuba!

Sirian said:
Who's qualified to tell the difference between my posts and spam, anyway?
Well, I've read a good number of them, so I'd give it a stab... :mischief:

Moderator Action: @ALL: Please keep this thread to discussions about Sirian & Sulla's game - its a interesting read, but it gets dull fast when you've got to wade through 5-10 pages of off-topic stuff to find the next turn-set.

I've gone back to an earlier post of mine in this thread and I edited to indicate that the following pages are "spam" (as called by the fine moderators of this forum). I'll update it once Sirian has returned with a link to the next RB1-related post.

You are looking live at the deck of the USS Sirian's-New-Computer. Flights are scheduled to begin take-off no later than 1800 hours EST, Thursday December 8, 2005. :cool:

El Presidente should be returning to home soil shortly afterward. :mischief:

Viva, El Presidente! :whipped:

- Sirian

:woohoo::clap::clap::clap:[party]:dance::band::banana::woohoo: The thread is back on. You rock Sirian:goodjob:!

the previous screens were brought to you by "Sirian's Multi-Player Madness"; just one shot and you're hooked. And by "Cuban Iso-toner Gloves"; we want the world in our hands. Now back to your regularly scheduled world Domination!!!

Carbon_Copy said:
That's probably for the best. I've been hopelessly stuck on the series since picking up Eye of the World in 1997. It's such a horrible series to be attached to, since it takes Jordan 2+ years to write those things anymore. At least with the latest one, he begins to acknowledge that he may get around to finishing the story at some point in the indeterminate future.
He's said that the next one (#12) will be the last.

BeefontheBone said:
The last two are soooooo dull though - the books get longer and longer but with less and less actually happening in them, and yet I still keep buying the damn things because I want to know how it ends[/i]! Gah! The first 5 or 6 are OK, once you get past the first one, but it's a bit downhill from there.

If you've put the series down for a while, I suggest not picking up where you left off. If you've never read any of them, don't start. I agree that the first 6 are pretty good. After that, though... I just finished the latest one last night. RJ spent books 7-10 just dithering and wanking, wildly spinning out characters and sub-plots without trying to assemble them into a coherent, comprehensible whole. The main plot was lost in the wilderness. After having read the penultimate book of the series, I can't imagine how he can wrap everything up in a satisfying and complete way in just one more book. My guess is that he's just sick of it all and just wants to get it done. It's too bad, too, because the first half showed some excellent potential. I'm just slogging through because I want to know what happens and because I read fast (too fast). I actually find it more enjoyable to read the chapter summaries and fan FAQs trying to figure out what's going on than I do the "source" material. If you're not already caught in it like Carbon_Copy or BeefontheBone or me, keep your distance. Try some "Game of Thrones" or Tad Williams or even Raymond Feist instead.

I am new to Civilization and Civfanatics, and I have a few questions.

First of all, is this game on hold because Sirian's computer kept crashing?:confused:

Second question: entirely unrelated. [offtopic] How do you take screenshots on a Windows computer, and how do you save them? If someone could answer, that would be great. :salute:

Third question, are you playing this game over some sort of server, or are you e-mailing the updated game file to each other? :bump:

Yes, Sirian's computer was havign issues, and has recently been replaced.. The game will be back in action shortly.

Screenshots are done with Shift-printscreen, and are saved for you to a ScreenShots folder (there is a shortcut to it from the main Civ4 install directory)

They are emailing the save file back and forth. PitBoss is capable of hosting games like this, however PitBoss isn't running yet.

Edit: a known bug about the shift-printscreen method is that it manages to include the "file name" dialog box in the screenshot. There are other methods but they take a little bit to explain.

If you JUST hit Print-screen (no Shift) it will save a copy with a generic name to the same screenshots folder. It will also copy it to your clipboard -- so if you have a paint program you can Paste it into there for editing...

So the story goes something like this...

* Mainboard Power Cable not attached firmly enough.
* SATA2 cable not attached firmly enough to RAID member drive 2.
* Floppy Drive nonoperational. (That was a doozy! :eek: I don't even want to talk about it.)
* Wrong drivers shipped with the motherboard. (At least the right ones were available for easy download!)
* RAID 0+1 only allows two Volumes to be defined. (I was expecting three! Had to use Windows partition on the second volume).
* Sirian takes his turn too slowly! (Had to restart several operations because I missed a timered "press this" requirement.)
* A real beehatch trying to get my OLD hard drive working within the new system (temporarily) so as to be able to transfer over all my data (including RB1 saved games and screenies). Had to argue with my father (who helped with the hardware side) over why I didn't care about his theories, just please try hooking up the drive to Channel Zero Master please. (That worked, btw.)
* My microphone is still nonoperational. ( :eek: ) I must remedy that, but... not tonight. Not tonight, because...

My system is now operational, for Civ4 purposes. :woohoo:

You know what that means, right? :cooool:

I can finish playing Epic One! :hammer: And get around to RB1 by next week! :satan:

:joke:

El Presidente is back in town. :whipped:

Thomas the Tank has a date with destiny. :spear:

I shall be back momentarily with news from the front!

(DISCLAIMER: The word "momentarily"... You've read my earlier disclaimers, right? If not, you've been skimming too much!)

- Sirian

Top Bottom