RB6 - Island Hopping

AFAIK, the chosen wisely bonus is for having the same civics as them (even if that's not at all wise for your empire...), the favourite ones are ones the leaders like to use (for instance, Mao likes State Property). Whether or not the bonus for chosen wisely is greater if the ones chosen are favourites, I'm nt sure.

You will get at least SOME bonus simply for him having the same civics as you (See my last set of turns - I think - for an example of this).

I don't think there is an extra bonus for having an AI's favorite set of civics. It would be much less complicated for you to convince him to switch to yours, as I believe that there are other civs right now that we have the "chosen wisely" bonus still intact with.

lurker's comment: I have seen one other SG where a switch to the other civ's "favorite civic" did generate the + to relations. Take that for what it's worth ...

Opening up the game, I see that we currently have no Civics bonus with either Mansa or Qin, indeed the only ones we have it with are Asoka, who's the opponent (+2), and Washington, who isn't voting for us anyway due to being evil and Confucian (+5).

There's no menu under Adopt in Qin's diplomacy window, which I suspect means that he's just switched civics and can't revolt again so soon. On the other hand, Mansa, who's far more friendly with us, won't consider it, the Adopt options are all redded out.

I suspect we're only going to get civics bonuses with Qin by changing ourselves, which will be painful and time-consuming (one turn for each civic for the first three. The fourth adds no time. We only share Emancipation with him.

As to war diplomacy, unfortunately I've already signed peace with Huayna since he dialled me up and offered concessions, and whoever signed us in had already signed peace.

Qin and Asoka, the opponent, hate each other, being at about -4 each way, but neither of them will consider declaring war on the other as-is. Pity, since I would imagine Qin being at war with the other option would make him far more likely to vote for us. The only remaining option down that line is the possibility that he would join us if we first went to war with Asoka ourselves, but the possibility is risky.

Added to all this is the fact that as it stands, even with Qin's vote we're still 8 votes short. I can (and indeed have) set our cities to growth, but this is made difficult by the fact that, frankly, we've already done that. The great majority of our cities have no more growth available anyway. A few hammers and a few gpt in minor cities aren't going to make any difference this late in the game, but a few more food in each case still will, so just about all the cities where it makes a difference have been set to pure Emphasise Food, at the expense of everything else.

To that end, I've whipped the production in all minor cities without a Granary and a Lighthouse, since we can easily afford it. We have far more cash than we need right now.

Before I continue again, does anyone have an opinion on whether we should spend 3 turns changing to Qin's Civics, declare war on Asoka (risking Qin still not being willing to join us), or both?

For that matter, I'm not sure of the exact mechanics of the UN Votes. Can another victory vote be held before the next SecGen vote? Either way, on which turn is the next time we can propose UN victory as a motion? It could well matter, since it's not worth doing anything that might only hold for five turns if that time will expire without a vote.

--Garath

There's a new motion every other turn. Three motions, then a new SecGen election, then three more motions.

- Sirian

My apologies for the delays on this game. As you've seen, they've mostly been trying to get clarification on some things I wasn't sure about. I'm still *hoping* I can end this myself, I just don't think it's all that likely.

Anyway, I'll finish either my turns or the game tomorrow afternoon. I've decided not to change to Qin's civics *just* yet, since the city growths are more important in the immediate term, since even if we get Qin's votes we'd be short as it stands.

I also won't be declaring war on Asoka right immediately, for the same reason. I'll see if Qin will take a Defensive Pact with us just in case, though, since I forgot to check that earlier.

Two turns will get me a check on whether the Victory motion can be proposed twice in the same SecGenship. I remember hearing that it couldn't, but I don't remember the source, so I'm not at all sure. Unfortunately, I haven't got any real diplomatic victories yet, so I don't have the details of this at hand.

Either way, at least one more vote for Victory should come before the end of my turns. Given the declared victory condition for this game, I shall do everything possible to win it. I just don't hold out much hope.

Garath

Favorite Civics bonus is time sensitive. Last-second changes can buy only +1 at most, while long term similarity can see bonuses as high as +5.

- Sirian

Bleh, I was worried it might be something like that rather than how many civics you share. I'll do what else I can, then, but unless we can see no other way even over the next 50 turns or so before the civics bonus would be well set, the lots of anarchy won't be worth it.

Garath

Mansa's favorite Civic is Free Market. Qin's... I don't remember off hand. I think it is something obscure. (Police State? Better check before you switch.) Also have to make sure you don't trade one bonus for another. Most civs have their favorite in the govt column.

- Sirian

Unfortunately, Qin doesn't even like us enough to sign a Defensive Pact with us, so we can't boost relations that way. It's beginning to look like the only way is to get him and Asoka to war somehow.

IBT (between 3 and 4): Lots of places finish builds and start factories.

It's not all bad. This will assist the rushing of growth buildings in the colonies quite significantly, and for that matter any factories that look like they need it. We have *lots* of money.

I begin shipping more (lots more) troops over to Ris-volee, for when (not if, I think) we have to declare on Asoka.

I get Qin to break his deals with Asoka. It's the only thing I can do, but anything which further exacerbates the hate between those two is a good thing.

Turn 5 (1900): More rushing. I check Qin, and he's evidently out of his grace period for changing governments, so I ask him to switch to Universal Suffrage and Pacifism, since they're the two on the table, for the possibility of some Civics bonus at some point. Any relations we can get with him, any at all, are to be pushed. In other news, our 'You have traded with our worst enemies!' malus with him has dropped from -4 to -3, which is nice.

Turn 7 (1904): The second Diplo victory vote looks much like the last one, except that this time we'd only have been 3 votes short rather than 8, if Qin had voted for us, which he did not.

(I note this appears to have been 4 turns after the last vote, in disagreement with Sirian saying there were 2 turns between votes. I definitely didn't miss one, though, so I don't know what's going on there.

IBT: I have to refuse Mansa a Defensive Pact, though it pains me to do so, since it will hurt our relations with Qin if I sign one with Mansa and not with him, but he won't sign one.

Turn 10: Industrialism -> Refrigeration. No research actually invested yet, of course, so Sirian can change it if necessary. We do have a couple of unhealthy cities since I had to cancel the deals with Asoka and Roosevelt, so I suggest either that or Medicine may be warranted. We have only two sources of Aluminium, at Sucre and at Polynesian, but they're both already mined, so they'll be plenty if we need them.

I propose Victory again, on the basis that we have 20 more votes than last time simply based on population growth, so I want to check that there do actually exist enough votes if we could only get Qin further back onto our side. I believe there are, now, but Sirian will get to find out.

Settlers are still under way in various places in order to settle the last of the 1-fish islands dotted around, of which there are several. I doubt they matter once we have enough pop for the first time, though, since it's not like we'll be able to grow out enough to get victory without Qin any time soon.

I've been operated under the assumption that we still want to do this peacefully. We're obviously more than capable of going and beating up someone like Tokugawa, taking his population, and winning the vote with Mansa's support, but that doesn't seem to be the way we're going here. It's still unclear as to how we can do it without, though.

The only way I can think of currently is to declare on Asoka and hope Qin will join us, it's about the only thing I think will be worth enough. I've held off on doing so myself since there still weren't enough votes even with his support. The next vote will be a new SecGen election, but you will want to give serious consideration to having declared on Asoka by the time the one after that rolls round, though.

Anyway, sorry I couldn't finish before it got back to you, Sirian. For better or for worse, you're Up.

--Garath

(Oh, and after seeing your post, if Qin's civic is Police State, which seems plausible, nobody actually has it yet, so that's no use. It could easily be researched on your round, though.)

The only Civics bonus of any kind is for being in a given AI's "favorite civic", the longer the better.

Anyway, I'll see what I can do. :)

- Sirian

Arrgh. I've got a bit of a crunch with my Adv3 report. Then there's that whole Super Sunday thing. :eek:

Arhiss, if you want to take it, go right ahead. If not, you guys will have to wait a few days for the ending. :)

- Sirian

Wow! I thought you guys would have this game sealed by now!

Not that I want to delay you from your Adventure three report, Sirian! I am really looking forward to that one!

I've got a lot going on this weekend, I don't mind letting Sirian have his turn, if the others don't mind.

No problem waiting from here, after all you all waited for me!

And I've got my own Adventure 3 report to finish...

Garath

Oh The Suspense! Oh The Agony Of Delay! Oh The .... never mind.

I have no problems waiting either.

You guys are no help. :lol:

I feel like Mikey from the Life Cereal commercials. :cool:

- Sirian

Another terrific game! I'm very interested to see how this one turns out.

Thanks for putting this together. Another excellent detailed game thread that taught me a lot about CIV IV.

I loved your Adv 3 report, Sirian! :goodjob:

Of course, when I noticed you handn't posted the end of the game when I first read it, I was a little :mad:

But Sirian the Great Tsar put everything right in the end, as usual! :clap: :clap: :bounce: :bounce:

Keep posting more like that!!

Top Bottom