Resource Management Discussion

Moderator Action: Duplicate threads merged.

Heh, I was going to post about it.

I like the per settlement/city assignment, it's a nice way to customize your cities. The empire ones are fine, but duplicate copies being useless feels a bit meh (at least, that's what I thought). In any case, it's a nice system that gives a lot of flexibility for balance (strong empire ones, mid power for cities, minor for towns).

Heh, I was going to post about it.

I like the per settlement/city assignment, it's a nice way to customize your cities. The empire ones are fine, but duplicate copies being useless feels a bit meh (at least, that's what I thought). In any case, it's a nice system that gives a lot of flexibility for balance (strong empire ones, mid power for cities, minor for towns).
I hope it's not the case, considering they now have modifiers, I hope that you can atleast stack some of them. Especialyl since they seemed to have described 3 different types of resources.

The city resources can stack, according to thr Spiffing Brit, who apparently stacked a bunch of camels.

I can totally see like a “Brazilwood” empire resource that is only available from one specific new world tile on the map.
I doubt they will have a permanent set of Distant Lands (the term they use for the part of the map revealed during the Exploration Age) resources. But I wouldn't be surprised if each game reserved a portion of the luxury resources exclusively for the Distant Land.

Interesting to know there is a difference between bonus and luxuries still, which is related with being only cities or all settlements. Now it really makes me curious of the bonuses of each and also which resources are ageless, which are unique for an age or for only two ages, etc.
@Zaarin Who do you think you are to merge administrator and super moderator threads ? Do you really think there's no "from above" reason to this ? Joking obviously. :D
It is the CIV REVOLUTION-
I doubt they will have a permanent set of Distant Lands (the term they use for the part of the map revealed during the Exploration Age) resources. But I wouldn't be surprised if each game reserved a portion of the luxury resources exclusively for the Distant Land.
Very likely considering I was recently told civ 6 already does that, having 4 luxuries per continent and only that continent, randomly each game. Even just a system like that would result in some luxuries only being in new world each game.

Given random or semi-random generated maps, there's no reason to go with the 'historical' resource distribution, but, very good reasons to have Resources be geographically exclusive, both for the trade possibilities it provides and to give a very good on-map Reason to do that Exploration in the second age.

Nor does Resource exclusivity have to be Inter-Hemispherical:
Cotton, a perennial Civ Resource, was originally only available from three areas: India, the Sudan, and the west coast of South America. Even if they don't allow 'resource replanting', that potentially gives two Civs in the 'Old World' a monopoly on Cotton resource.

Now add to that the other well-known monopolies of natural plant Resources:
Silk in China, Potato in Peru, Maize and Cocolate/Cacao in Mesoamerica, Tobacco in North America, Amber concentrated in the Baltic region, etc.

Add to that the early easily-accessed mineral deposits like the Copper from the Great Lakes Region in the Americas, Tin from Cornwall and Afghanistan, Steel-producing Vanadium-enriched iron ore in western India, Silver and Gold deposits from Bolivia to Greece, and there's a lot of potential to make Resources the real source and excuse for trade, trade wars, and colonization - far more than in previous Civ renditions, I suspect.

-And if they really want to bring back the Good Ol' Stuff, Modern Age Corporations built around some of the natural and manufactured Resources and their value to the Civs and Minor States that don;t have direct access to them.

Writing down each one shown for convenience:

IVORY
+10% Production towards Wonders placed in Tropical, Plains, and Desert Terrain

MARBLE
+10% Production towards Wonders placed in Grassland, Tundra, and Marine Terrain

IRON
Infantry Units gain +1 Combat Strength

GOLD
+20% Gold towards purchasing Buildings

WINE
+2 Happiness in the Capital and +10% Culture when in a Celebration

COTTON
+2 Food, +2 Production

WOOL
+2 Production, +2 Happiness

CAMELS
Increases number of Resources that can be assigned to a City by 2

SILK
+10% Culture

Others spotted:
Incense?
----

The other resources have tiny icons on the bottom left, the reddish one looks like Empire Resources, blue looks like Luxury Resources (city only), and yellow looks like Bonus Resources

1729571347271.png

Last edited:
They changed Marble's bonus from Plains to Tundra. I kind of wish they had given Tundra to Ivory for the mammoth-surviving alt history.

Odd that they call the elephant resource "Ivory" but the bonus (+10% Production towards Wonders placed in Tropical, Plains, and Desert Terrain) seems to reflect using the animals for labor.
It's analogue to marble, so it could quite well just refer to decorative elements on the wonders being made from ivory.

Pretty excited about the system. One thing I'd like to see in the future is the ability to designate staple ports and such: Cities to which foreign trade is limited to. Bonuses where you got rewards from receiving foreign trade routes were super awkward in Civ VI and you could never really build a strategy around that. It was way too unreliable and intransparent (and too weak, but that's an easier fix).

With the new system, it could be interesting to offer a way to move your "sales stock" between cities (with a certain limit so you have to think about whether it's worth the investment in your current situation). If you sell all your resources from one city, you can make this city very attractive for foreign merchants. To counter this, you could gain special benefits where the Gold you receive in return grows exponentially rather than just linearly. Policies and traditions reflecting historic instances of such limitations could provide even more flavor. Later, corporations and industries could play into transporting all resources of a kind to a single city.

Writing down each one shown for convenience:

IVORY
+10% Production towards Wonders placed in Tropical, Plains, and Desert Terrain

MARBLE
+10% Production towards Wonders placed in Grassland, Tundra, and Marine Terrain

IRON
Infantry Units gain +1 Combat Strength

GOLD
+20% Gold towards purchasing Buildings

WINE
+2 Happiness in the Capital and +10% Culture when in a Celebration

COTTON
+2 Food, +2 Production

WOOL
+2 Production, +2 Happiness

CAMELS
Increases number of Resources that can be assigned to a City by 2

SILK
+10% Culture

Others spotted:
Incense?
----

The other resources have tiny icons on the bottom left, the reddish one looks like Empire Resources, blue looks like Luxury Resources (city only), and yellow looks like Bonus Resources

View attachment 707055
Good catch on the icon colours

Odd that they call the elephant resource "Ivory" but the bonus (+10% Production towards Wonders placed in Tropical, Plains, and Desert Terrain) seems to reflect using the animals for labor.
True, but that bonus might also change…it could become a luxury city resource in future ages.

Top Bottom