1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

RR2- No Worker Paradise

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Succession Games' started by r_rolo1, Nov 6, 2008.

1. pnaxighn

pnaxighn Warlord

I agree with this, except that using workboats feels like cheating. Ah well. If we're going to use them, that's clearly the right capital placement, IMHO.

2. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Prince

learn something new every day, i always though food resources didn't give an extra food in the city.

However, i would still say don't settle on the corn, even with the extra food. you would never be connected to any other resources if you settle on the corn while if you settle on the river you would be able to get connected to any resources available to coastal cities or other river cities. ie we could connect to the fish, clams and cattle of the capital if we settle 1 west of our starting location

3. MyOtherCar

MyOtherCar The answer is 42

I think not having your capital connected to your other cities, would be 'unwise'.

4. pnaxighn

pnaxighn Warlord

Doesn't that make ALL our cities coastal? Since the capital has no river?

5. say1988

say1988 Deity

so long as you have trade routes along the river and coast between the cities (all in culture, or all visible + sailing) you should have a connection along it.

6. r_rolo1

r_rolo1 King of myself

Ok, I was a little offsided yesterday, so I'll chime some things

First, work boats. I do feel that part of the team does not feel ok with them. That obviously change things to the more basic level. So, once and for all, WB in or out?

Second, we don't need that ALL the cities to be connected, but obviously the most important ones SHOULD be connected :D

7. mystyfly

mystyfly Knight of Cydonia

I'm for allowing WBs.

Obviously connecting cities is important but not as important as usual. Still, let's try to connect most cities. Health resouces are more easily to come by if we allow WBs and :)-issues can be fixed with HR.

One more thing about connecting cities: I believe AIs are likely to road trough our territory so let's get OBs soon...

8. ZPV

ZPV Short for ZPVCSPLFUIFDPEF

I like WBs. I think we should allow them.

We definitely want our capital to be connected, so we can trade for resources.

The AI will road through our territory if it connects two of their cities. Otherwise, no, but OBs are still good for trade routes.

9. stuge

stuge Emperor

Let's not go too hardcore, WBs are just fine.

10. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Prince

I'll go for the workboats as well :)

11. pnaxighn

pnaxighn Warlord

Alright, I'm outvoted.

In that case, I think 1w for maximum capital food sounds good.

12. r_rolo1

r_rolo1 King of myself

Ok, 1 W it is. Will try to play it today ( highly unlikely, since I have two birthday parties to attend today : my mother and my nephew )

A small point: 1 W is riverside ;)

13. r_rolo1

r_rolo1 King of myself

Well, humble start....

I decidec to go 1 W. And as I suspected, the hill 2 w of our starting position is a plains one:
    Spoiler :

As our fearless bulldog leader starts with fishing I decided to open with a WB and BW ( not obviosly to chop, but because we NEED slavery )

Some more exploring and a map away, I found our nearest (?) neighbour:
    Spoiler :

And then I had a moment: I could easily rush willem ( this is noble : they don't have archers defending their caps that early ), but I reminded myself that we need the guy to build some cottages for us :p Anyway he was kind enough to let us have that hut ;) ( that made our warrior a super woodie II one )

My set ended with BW:
    Spoiler :

And do you ask, there is copper nearby?
    Spoiler :

Stupid map script rules that forbid riverside copper :( And no costal one as far as we can see now....

Anyway I queued Myst, but it is only a place holder .... Not that the other techs look that yummy without workers ;) We have our cap at 1 pop of growing and making a warrior:
    Spoiler :

So, who wants to make a dotmap? :D

Seriously, we need to discuss. Because this is noble , we might have a shot at one early wonder if we really want to.... we don't have any interest in the common alternatives to it anyway: land grabbing is less appealing without improvements ( well besides the critical cities.... all besides that can wait for us to got them from the cold dead hands of a AI ) and we don't want to kill the AI that soon :p OTOH some early well placed settlers could prove useful later

Anyway, mysty is up. But i would really want to see some serious discussion before he plays :p

Attached Files:

14. pnaxighn

pnaxighn Warlord

Given our handicap, I'd advocate sailing as the next tech. We want to be able to cruise the coast and find coastal resources, and WBs are slow (and can't carry settlers once we find something to settle on!).

Also, that copper is near some hills and woods. Not exactly the height of production cities, but good enough that with some careful builds it can anchor our military. We may not be able to share the copper, but that doesn't mean we can't use it...

15. RRRaskolnikov

RRRaskolnikov Goldfish

Hi,

lurker comment on wonders: obviously the GL can help you and sailing is very usefull with your variant anyways... Put a thought on the GW as well, if not researched, a nice set of early basic techs can be stolen with just one Gspy.

The killer combo would be GL + mids for science, with settling of a maximum see foods but I don't know if you have the hammers... you never know, sometimes AIs in noble delay the mids very late (500 AD)

Cheers,

Raskolnikov

16. mystyfly

mystyfly Knight of Cydonia

1. Got it

2. I'm strictly against rushing anyone who has only warriors due to cheesiness :p

As you probabely know or are at least likely to find out, I usually try to start as much discussion as possible... :whipped:

4. Nice you mention wonders rolo. I personally am for the henge and GLH at least. henge for nice GPP and fast monuments (we'll need them with willem nearby...). Willem will most likely found several religions and we might need to provide a GP for a shrine once we capture them. And I don't have to tell you that production will be limited so a few of those settled beauties won't hurt :D
    GLH for obvious economic benefit. We might be lucky and find some 1-tile-islands for tasty trade routes. From the looks of the map we seem to be able to found several coastal cities.
    Another option is GW. For the GSpy points OFC, fire an infiltration mission and cash in those tasty techs... I see 2 arguments against it: 1) It's a somewhat cheesy way around our rules and the "spirit" of this game and 2) we'd need to keep at least 1 nearby AI alive. I doubt that is much of an issue tough as I expect to meet more AIs during my set...
    We might want to add the mids but I'm not sure we can get them too... Too bad we see neither stone nor marble... :(

5. Copper. I didn't know about the "not riverside" rule but it seriously hurts. Does that also apply for iron and horse? If that is the case we might be in trouble unless 1) our dear friend willem helps a little with roading or 2) we find coastal sources of these resources.

6. We might find courageous and shoot for those phants that are 1) coastal and 2) riverside. I doubt willem would have much chance against cats/phants...

7. Next techs depend obviously mostly on our target wonders.

8. Willem is a nice neighbor (except that darn cultural trait). If we adopt his religion we'll have him most likely at friendly quickly. (Remember: Same religion = cheaper esp. missions :p).

9. How many of our free barb kills do we have left? :p

17. stuge

stuge Emperor

Sailing as next tech, then myst if we go for the 'Henge, whi8ch we should do.

Scout the land around the copper. We could settle our army pump there like pnaxighn said.

18. r_rolo1

r_rolo1 King of myself

@Mysty

5- Besides the starting BFC the more mainstream scripts ( like fractal ) have a no riverside copper rule. They can pop later in worked hills, but not before... most likely a anti-cheesiness measure :p

6- Getting the phants was the fisrt thing that came to mind when the hut gave me that map :p

9- We still have our free wins pristine ;)

19. Gooblah

Gooblah Heh...

Lurker's Comment

Interesting variant. To get the copper, there is a mildly easy (and cheap, and cheezy) way, but it is (IMO) against the spirit of the game. Why I post it , I do not know, but here goes:

If possible, make two settlers. Settle one in the Corn/Copper site, then gift the city to Willem (he should accept). Then, build up a force of Warriors (Combat I preferably) and invade as soon as the Copper is mined. Take out the Archer guarding the city, and you'll have a Copper mine.

20. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Prince

i think i'd stick with myst and then sailing, the henge would be nice for the extra happiness.

Settle on the copper and pump out axes seems like a good plan.