It's clear they have given up on any military objectives, the only goal left is to make life miserable for Ukrainians, because they can't touch NATO,

sorry for that.

No balls, no soul - a deplorable people, driven only by frustration, may they rot in hell.
This has been their obvious strategy in the latest month or so - to hit powerplants directly. To make the whole territory of Ukraine unlivable. Unlike their strikes in autumn-winter 2022 when they aimed at electrical grid distributing facilities, this time they hit the assets that take years-decades to rebuild in peace time.
Also worth mentioning how the situation is gradually becoming more normal for the Westerners (the rest of the world never cared to begin with, let alone openly or covertly helping Russia). Russian attacks on power grid in 2022 did shake things up quite a bit; we got noticeable help, especially in the form of AA defenses. This time people who could help seem to care less and less and avert their eyes.

It's not like we have half a dozen spare Patriot batteries here, the entire port-of-Antwerp is unprotected atm, but they will not attack us obviously...

The people in Eastern Europe better take note, this will not stop here.

With a Russian as a neighbour, best prepare yourself.

Ukraine war: The Indian men traumatised by fighting for Russia​

In October last year, David Moothappan saw a Facebook advertisement offering jobs as security guards in Russia.

The promised monthly salary - 204,000 roubles ($2,201; £1,739) - seemed a huge amount to the school-dropout fisherman from the southern Indian state of Kerala.

Weeks later, Mr Moothappan, 23, found himself on the warfront in the Russian-held city of Donetsk in eastern Ukraine.

"It's death and destruction everywhere," he says, when asked about his time there.

He and another man from Kerala managed to return home last week. They are among several Indians who were duped by agents into fighting for Russian forces in the country's war with Ukraine over the past few months.

A few have managed to make their way back home but others are still stuck in Russia. Most of them are from poor families and were lured with the promise of jobs, sometimes as "helpers" in the Russian army. At least two Indians have died so far in the war.

India's foreign ministry has said it is "pressing very hard with the Russian authorities" to bring back its citizens who have been tricked into fighting in the war. Last week, foreign minister S Jaishankar called this "a matter of very, very deep concern" for India. The BBC has emailed the Russian embassy in India for comment.

Warning: This article contains details some readers may find distressing.

Mr Moothappan is relieved to be back home in the fishing village of Pozhiyoor in Kerala, but says he can't forget what he saw in the war.

"There were body parts strewn all over the ground," he says. Distraught, he started vomiting and almost fainted.

"Soon, the Russian officer commanding us told me to return to the camp. It took hours for me to recover," he says.

He says he broke his leg around Christmas while fighting in a "remote place" - his family, he says, didn't know about his situation at that time.

Mr Moothappan spent two and a half months in different hospitals in Luhansk, Volgograd and Rostov before recovering partially.

In March, a group of Indians helped him reach the country's embassy in Moscow, which then arranged for him to travel back home.

Some 61km away in Anchuthengu, another fishing hamlet in Kerala, Prince Sebastian has a similar story of escape - and trauma - to tell.

Duped by a local agent, he was deployed in a group of 30 fighters in the Russian-occupied eastern Ukrainian town of Lysychansk. After just three weeks of training, he says he was sent to the frontline with several weapons including an RPG-30 (a handheld, disposable rocket-propelled grenade launcher) and bombs, which prevented him from moving quickly.

Fifteen minutes after he reached the front, he says a bullet fired from close range deflected off the tank he was in and pierced below his left ear. He fell - on to what he realised was a dead Russian soldier.

"I was shocked and I couldn't move. After an hour, as the night fell, another bomb exploded. It badly injured my left leg."

He spent the night in a trench, bleeding. He escaped the next morning and subsequently spent weeks in different hospitals.

He then got a month's leave to rest. During this time, a priest helped him contact the Indian embassy which then issued him a temporary passport and arranged for his return home.

He says two of his friends who went with him, also fishermen, are still missing. Neither he nor their families have heard from them in weeks.

Officials in Kerala say they have so far received complaints from the families of four men - Mr Moothappan, Mr Sebastian and his two friends - about being duped by agents.

Mr Sebastian says he and his friends went to a local agent in their village to check if they could find jobs somewhere in Europe (the man is currently absconding).

The agent suggested Russia, speaking of a "golden opportunity" to work as a security guard for a monthly salary of 200,000 rupees ($2,402; £1,898). They agreed instantly.

The friends paid 700,000 rupees each to him for a Russian visa. On 4 January, they reached Moscow, where an Indian agent identified as Alex, who spoke their language, Malayalam, welcomed them.

They spent the night in a flat, following which a man took them to a military officer in the city of Kostroma, 336km (208 miles) away, where they were made to sign a contract in Russian, a language they couldn't read, Mr Sebastian said.

Three Sri Lankan recruits also joined them there. Then the six men were taken to a military camp in the Rostov region, which borders Ukraine. The officers took their passports and mobile phones.

The training started on 10 January. In the following days, they learnt how to use handheld anti-tank grenades and what to do if they were injured.

After this, they were taken to a secondary base known as the Alabino Polygon. There, the training continued for 10 days, "day and night".

"All kinds of armaments were waiting for us there," Mr Sebastian said. "I started enjoying the weapons like toys."

But the brutal reality of the war hit him on the battlefield.

Now, he is hoping to resume fishing. "I have to repay the money I borrowed from lenders and restart my life," he says.

In Pozhiyoor, Mr Moothappan hopes to do the same.

"I was engaged to a girl in my village when I left. I told her I'll return with money and build a house before our marriage," he said.

Now the couple have decided to wait for two more years as Mr Moothappan tries to rebuild his life.

But he's happy that at least he didn't kill anyone in his time on the battlefield.

"One time, the Ukrainians were some 200m away. We were asked to go on the offensive but I didn't fire a single shot at them," he said. "I can't kill anybody."
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-68767470

Ukraine claimed Tripolskaya thermal electric plant completely destroyed by Russian strike.

Russian authorities reported Ukrainian drone attacks in 6 regions last night, including Mordovia for the first time.
All drones were intercepted, probable targets were oil refineries.

Russia continue to advance in Avdeyevka and Konstantinovka directions. Reports about Russians approaching Umanskoe and capturing Bogdanovka village, not yet confirmed.

It's clear they have given up on any military objectives, the only goal left is to make life miserable for Ukrainians, because they can't touch NATO,

sorry for that.

No balls, no soul - a deplorable people, driven only by frustration, may they rot in hell.
likely a deflected Ukranian missile falling back down; Russia doesn't hit civil targets, their missiles are too expensive for that sort-of thing. I've been told as much.
/s

Bloomberg: "Kiev at most fragile moment in two years of war, risk of collapse and Russian breakthrough"

NYT: "Ukraine’s Parliament Passes a Politically Fraught Mobilization Bill"

Like I predicted, right after Zelensky claims about Russian mobilization.

Meanwhile Putin reiterated Russia's readiness to resume peace talks and return to discussing tentative agreement reached in Istanbul.

sorry for that.

Russia has stated many times that strikes on energy infrastructure facilities (oil refining, generation facilities) on the Russian side will not go unanswered. There is an exchange of strikes on the energy sector from both sides. The results of these strikes are different due to different capabilities of the countries.
Ukraine should have thought before launching its strikes. Is the temporary loss of 7% of Russia’s oil refining capacity and the loss of Ukraine’s entire generation worth it?

And what does this have to do with NATO?

Russia has stated many times that strikes on energy infrastructure facilities (oil refining, generation facilities) on the Russian side will not go unanswered. There is an exchange of strikes on the energy sector from both sides.

Strategy question to banzay13:

When is attacking the enemy's energy sector the optimal answer to the threat of the enemy attacking your energy sector? Why is tit-for-tat the best answer in this situation?

I want to know more about the basic concepts of Russian military strategy.

Are you suggesting there never would have been attacks in Ukraine energy infrastructure had Ukraine played by some rulebook the Russians favored? I find that highly unlikely. I imagine Putin would carpet-bomb a road to Kiev at the drop of a hat, no provocation, if he could.

You don't need to "find it unlikely", Russia has been attacking Ukrainian energy infrastructure since day one of the invasion.

You don't need to "find it unlikely", Russia has been attacking Ukrainian energy infrastructure since day one of the invasion.
For the truth's sake, as far as I know they began systematically destroying UA's power grid only in autumn of 2022 after their Kharkov and Kherson failures. But they did destroy our few oil refineries in the first days/weeks of the invasion.
Although the "attacking energy infrastructure" did take place in the form of stealing large power-generating assets in the first days/weeks, like Kakhovka hydroelectric plant and Zaporizhia nuclear plant. Their main purpose is to steal. They destroy only what they cannot steal or hold.
They took Chernobyl plant also, but eventually retreated from it. It would've been too big of a PR hit for them had they blown it up.

For the truth's sake, as far as I know they began systematically destroying UA's power grid only in autumn of 2022 after their Kharkov and Kherson failures. But they did destroy our few oil refineries in the first days/weeks of the invasion.
Although the "attacking energy infrastructure" did take place in the form of stealing large power-generating assets in the first days/weeks, like Kakhovka hydroelectric plant and Zaporizhia nuclear plant. Their main purpose is to steal. They destroy only what they cannot steal or hold.
They took Chernobyl plant also, but eventually retreated from it. It would've been too big of a PR hit for them had they blown it up.
After attack on Kerch bridge and "peregrupirovka". Then after Wagner's rebelion was over - such strikes come to end (because Surovikin was removed from command), as I remember. And new phase took place after systematic hits on oligarchs oil plants

Strategy question to banzay13:

When is attacking the enemy's energy sector the optimal answer to the threat of the enemy attacking your energy sector? Why is tit-for-tat the best answer in this situation?

I want to know more about the basic concepts of Russian military strategy.
1. Energy is a dual purpose sector, damaging it affects military capabilities. There were no questions about it when people were proudly posting videos of attacks against Russian oil refineries.
2. Tit-for-tat has been Russian MO for a while. For example, last year's attacks agains energy infrastructure started right after attack which damaged Crimea bridge. Strikes against Kharkov infrastructure came after indiscriminate shelling of Belgorod using MLRS, etc.
3. Passive defense is generally less effective in Russia's case. There are too many valuable targets to cover, so air defenses have to be spread thin in most cases, and can be saturated. In some local cases, air defense can be effective, e.g. in Moscow - IIRC Ukraine gave up trying to attack it only about month or two ago, because drone attacks were fruitless for a while. But you cannot install effective air defense at every military object, oil refinery or power plant in hundreds km from Ukraine border, that's unfeasible. Ukraine cannot do this either.

There were no questions about it when people were proudly posting videos of attacks against Russian oil refineries.
Because it hurts the offensive capacity of the invader, and therefore a false equivalency?
Here predictably Russian propaganda tries to poison the discourse with the "tit-for-tat" term to make it look like it's a fair match between two equal parties; not an invader and the victim of the invasion.
Makes one wonder about the Russia's destruction of Ukraine's oil refineries early in 2022, the destruction of Kakhovka dam, razing a number of Ukraine's cities, towns and villages, mass murder of civilians... eventually trying to take as much Ukrainian land as possible. What are those actions tit-for-tat for? Nothing of the sort Ukraine had done to Russia previously.
This tit-for-tat narrative is perverse and misplaced. Russia comes to destroy their neighbor for no other reason than colonial conquest, the neighbor defends his life.

Because it hurts the offensive capacity of the invader, and therefore a false equivalency?
Here predictably Russian propaganda tries to poison the discourse with the "tit-for-tat" term to make it look like it's a fair match between two equal parties; not an invader and the victim of the invasion.
Makes one wonder about the Russia's destruction of Ukraine's oil refineries early in 2022, the destruction of Kakhovka dam, razing a number of Ukraine's cities, towns and villages, mass murder of civilians... eventually trying to take as much Ukrainian land as possible. What are those actions tit-for-tat for? Nothing of the sort Ukraine had done to Russia previously.
This tit-for-tat narrative is perverse and misplaced. Russia comes to destroy their neighbor for no other reason than colonial conquest, the neighbor defends his life.

Nope, there is no equivalence and no equality. One side is right and another is wrong. Also, tit-for-tat doesn't necessarily mean fair match, on the contrary, response can and should be an order of magnitude more powerful.

Top Bottom