Russia Invades Ukraine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nah. We had far more Allies actively helping us than Russia does. I get I live in a glass house, but "but but but you did it tooooo" isn't going to get Putin very far on this one. He stumbled badly, I think.

When trying to assist the truthfulness of your statement, I think that Indian political participation either way will be probably the largest factor between 2003 and now. And that might be the swing decider, cuz they're so big.

Rest of world sees Ukraine as Europe sees Yemen. They certainly see that Ukraine is right and Russia is wrong, but this does no mean that they will declare support for Ukraine which is to be occupated. It would look different if west would actually defend Ukraine.

Rest of world sees Ukraine as Europe sees Yemen. They certainly see that Ukraine is right and Russia is wrong, but this does no mean that they will declare support for Ukraine which is to be occupated. It would look different if west would actually defend Ukraine.

Well i pray to God that this conflict doesnt get any worse than it is aready

When trying to assist the truthfulness of your statement, I think that Indian political participation either way will be probably the largest factor between 2003 and now. And that might be the swing decider, cuz they're so big.

How many other countries sent weapons into Iraq to defend against us? 2003 certainly wasn't a good mark on the United States, but it's already too late to compare the two. Some countries took their ball and stayed home in 2003, but just two days in, the world is providing more useful assistance to Ukraine than anyone ever gave Iraq.

I mean, while I acknowledge that we were wrong, there was at least some debate if there were WMDs. There was at least an attempt to bring in the UN and form a broader coalition than just one of the willing. The Russian buildup to this Ukrainian adventure was so ridiculously propagandized that seemingly no one has taken their pretenses seriously. I get that they don't really care about perception, but that might be something they should work on in the 21st century, with the rather incredible power of social media (something that was really just at it's infancy in 2003, so perhaps if it was more well established there would have been a different reaction to the U.S. invasion of Iraq).

Anyway, it doesn't really matter. The issue right now is Ukraine is fighting for her life, and the world at least seems to be warming to the idea of helping, reservedly, when and how they can.

Frankly, it's somewhat embarrassing to type all of this and reflect that the big issue we claimed, in 2003, was a need to not appease dictators, and to stop them in their tracks. We used that line quite handedly against a country with no navy or air force to speak of. It's a much harder thing to say against a foe who could actually strike back. So, please do not mistake all of this for American chest thumping - I'll say for the third time in this thread "I live in a glass house."

There are reports about multiple shootouts in Kiev, allegedly ~60 "diversants" are killed.
I suspect volunteer defenses are fighting between themselves.

You mean saboteurs? There is no equivalent word for diversant within the English language, the closest approximate word that fits the same meaning would be saboteur.

As far as defence forces killing each other that seems like Russian propaganda. Too early to tell even if it is true.

Nevertheless Ukraine would not admit to any internal problems right now as they sort of kind of have to keep things under wraps to keep the war effort ongoing and prevent their fighters from giving up hope

How many other countries sent weapons into Iraq to defend against us? 2003 certainly wasn't a good mark on the United States, but it's already too late to compare the two. Some countries took their ball and stayed home in 2003, but just two days in, the world is providing more useful assistance to Ukraine than anyone ever gave Iraq.
I think part of it is that Ukraine is much more sympathetic in that they have a democratically elected leader striving for peace compared to the dictator Hussein, who gassed civilians

It means that a certain person on this site has a very tenuous grasp on the English language and therefore creates words out of the ether.

I find this to be in poor taste. Also learned something when I looked the word up:
https://educalingo.com/en/dic-de/diversant#:~:text=Definition of Diversant in the,Saboteur; someone who runs diversion.

I think part of it is that Ukraine is much more sympathetic in that they have a democratically elected leader striving for peace compared to the dictator Hussein, who gassed civilians

Probably more relevant is the fact that the Ukrainians are white Europeans.

edit: oh and of course the US media spent about a decade and a half leading up to the Iraq War making Saddam Hussein into the world's biggest villain (even though it was the US secretary of state who said on live TV that killing half a million Iraqi children with sanctions would be "worth the price"). They've been doing the opposite with Ukraine.

What i am getting from our (US) news sources is that the west is relying on Ukrainian grandmothers to stop Putin. Seems like "we" are hoping for as many civilians killed as possible...

Kazakhstan refuses to send troops to help Putin and refuses to recognize the two breakaway provinces.

Sanctions have been placed against Putin and his family at the personal level.

Last edited:
Take this for what you will:

upload_2022-2-25_21-13-24.png

Yes.

Nah. We had far more Allies actively helping us than Russia does. I get I live in a glass house, but "but but but you did it tooooo" isn't going to get Putin very far on this one. He stumbled badly, I think.
It's more just for people to keep in mind fabricating evidence as cover for embarking on unprovoked and unnecessary wars of aggression and occupation is not something unique to the evil Russians.

Take this for what you will:

View attachment 621286

Which again, will only add to the rumor he is dying from some terminal illness and has no successor for when he passes.

What i am getting from our (US) news sources is that the west is relying on Ukrainian grandmothers to stop Putin. Seems like "we" are hoping for as many civilians killed as possible...

I suspect the desire is partially that, in order to make any Putin sympathizers think twice about their admiration for him but also to ensure as many Russian soldiers die in order to destroy Russia's population demographics when it comes to men of fighting age.

Article 5 of what?

If Russia gives the civilians the options of surrendering or leaving, few will risk WW3 to defend a food convoy for a Ukrainian military garrison.

NATO charter.

And you are very wrong here. There's a huge difference in how is this conflict seen in the post-Soviet countries and elsewhere. I get the feeling that you see it detached, as a power transfer in the similar way to the shocking occupation of Crimea, that once the regular military of Ukraine is silenced, things will calm down. Perhaps even Putin, in his delusions about return of the Soviet Union, believed that.

To Ukrainians and every country that was once behind the Iron Curtain, it is not. Many people remember the life under Soviet Union, and they taught that to their children. Short of small group of decrepit collaborators who benefited from that rule and some unscrupulous bootlickers, nobody wants that brought back. And they see Putin's regime trying to do just that. You can see the difference in response. Around here, it feels like it's the commitment to NATO and EU that's holding back the desired response while western politicians squabble about SWIFT.

And Ukrainians feel that even more. For them, it's a fight to keep their national identity and freedom. So I'm telling you, Ukrainians will fight. Kiev will be the bloodiest urban battle since Stalingrad.

Everything which sounds unfavourable to Ukraine seems like Russian propaganda.

Both sides are clearly using propaganda. And the propaganda machine is churning double time across the internet now that they are engaged in open conflict.

They each have too much to lose if they don't engage in any propaganda regardless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom