Save the World- Start folding today!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks. That was what i tried but it didn't seem to work. I just checked again and the display is turned off now. Looks like Windows counts down a looong minute before it switches the display off.

so unless you've got a dual-processor machine or are putting graphical and console clients on the same PC, you can choose '1' for every PC.

Could also apply with HyperThreading. IMO though (and I may be wrong, since I haven't tested it) you'd be better off with just a single instance running, since at the end of the day you still just have one CPU beneath those logical cores.

Cool.

And on a totally different note (and one probably of interest only to myself and Speedo), I've added two dual-550MHz servers to the Elephant-vs-Goldfish race, one has 768MB RAM, the other 256MB. I'm running parallel F@H clients on them, and hopefully I've set it up right.

So far the Elephant machines coming in sooner may only be doing that because I started them earlier (I didn't start all at the same time, just changed the reporting name on the first four of them) so the initial results won't be conclusive.

And, :goodjob: to the folks just showing up with their first work unit! :)

Speedo said:
Could also apply with HyperThreading. IMO though (and I may be wrong, since I haven't tested it) you'd be better off with just a single instance running, since at the end of the day you still just have one CPU beneath those logical cores.

According to what I've read on the F@H forum, you shouldn't pay any attention to hyperthreading, just treat it as a single processor no matter what the OS is reporting or how it is handling it.

I wonder if we should challenge the 'Poly crowd to a fold-off? I don't think they have any distributed-computing teams going yet, do they?

Bleh, the stupid Win98 client doesn't have the deadlineless option... So we're leaving the weak machines with Win98 on after school to make sure they don't miss deadlines... May cut F@H on one of them because it's so slow (some Pentium II I think.)

Now that's an excellent idea! Nothing like a bit of competition to get folders to come out of the woodwork.

By the way, we're well on our way to cracking 2000, after which we'll be able to view a wealth of stats at extremeoverclocking.com for our team. We'll be able to see how long it will take, assuming current folding power, to pass team (insert number here), as well as a breakdown of individual stats.

IglooDude said:
And @VRWCAgent: Have you seen this yet? http://fahstats.com/?col=3&offset=1 (we're currently at the bottom of page 8)

Yeah, I saw that link earlier in the thread. Just FYI by the way, but here is the team I used to fold for before switching over to CFC. Yes, that's right, I abandoned being #5 in the top 70 folding team because I love CIV and CFC sooooooo much! (well, that and the fact that I no longer download Firefox or Seamonkey nightlies, so I didn't really feel like I warranted staying at Mozillazine ;) ).

http://fahstats.com/t.php?t=39340

If you are curious just what all is available with the extremeoverclocking.com stats page, here is the link to my old specs at that page:

http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/user_summary.php?s=&u=113416

I just did a quick check, and our previous grid.org team isn't in the same database as the 'Poly one. :( Since we're not likely to ask everyone to throw over to a new grid, and we're not likely to suggest the 'Poly folks do so (heck, they've been folding for the past year on their team) I'm not sure a challenge could go anywhere.

Thoughts/suggestions?

How many are on the poly team? I'm sure several different teams can exist at once, these are pretty big boards after all.. you can always run the suggestion to the poly people, if you know a mod there or something.

ironduck said:
How many are on the poly team? I'm sure several different teams can exist at once, these are pretty big boards after all.. you can always run the suggestion to the poly people, if you know a mod there or something.

They have 67 members. It looks like their top four or five members are roughly equal to ours (on a CPU-per-day basis), so if we had another couple dozen folders we'd probably be competitive with them.

But, I suppose I should be content to leave well enough alone. We are approaching that elusive top-2000 team ranking soon... :)

I've never been part of the rivalry between the two civ sites, so to me it makes no difference, but it sounds like they got a good project going :)

There are a lot of folders on our team now, but most of them are quiet.. if they looked at this thread you probably scared them away with your geek talk :p

ironduck said:
I've never been part of the rivalry between the two civ sites, so to me it makes no difference, but it sounds like they got a good project going :)

There are a lot of folders on our team now, but most of them are quiet.. if they looked at this thread you probably scared them away with your geek talk :p

You're probably right. :lol: Then again, folding isn't really an exciting topic in any case, hence my pathetically geeky attempts to liven it up with Elephant vs Goldfish races. :blush:

Well you ought to put up goldfish and elephant as their separate identities in the list so we can follow their progress. Just mark them Goldfish-igloodude and Elephant-igloodude so people understand. Also, I forget which is which..

Actually I think protein folding is an exciting topic, we just need some easy-to-read layman articles that explain some of the cool things. Posting some in a new thread could be nice, it would probably would go unnoticed in this one since most people just see boring tech stuff and don't bother reading through it.

how about someone bumps the "are you contributing?" thead?

If you want more fun and games and less geek talk you probably need a new thread instead of this one ;)

fine- i'll ask a mod if i can lock this one up and start again.

Well, it's probably only worth it if someone wants to post interesting stuff about protein folding and the like..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom