Save the World- Start folding today!

Status
Not open for further replies.
its great, i have it running all the time- it jus takes as much as it can- if your dooing lots it jus turns right down

Well, I downloaded it. Sophie, you have a Mac - do you know if it will still work if you move the application from the FAH5-GUI volume? Minor thing, really, but I'd rather not have to keep it on my desktop all the time.

I just dumped it on the HD, can't even remember where, but it's no longer on my desktop and it works ;)
Linky to the OSX thing - I used the screensaver mode, and it says you can trash the disk image. The GUI from Graphical Client thingy also says
2) This will put a file called "FAH4-GUI.dmg" on your Desktop. If it doesn't mount automatically, double click on the file to mount the disk image FAH4-GUI and open that. Copy Folding@home to your Desktop. You may now trash the disk image.
Hmm, doesn't say you can't move it from the desktop: as long as you have it in the HD it should still work. If not, you can always re-download it.

EDIT - hmm, now that I've downloaded the graphical client console as well as the screensaver, I seem to be having the same problem. I can't seem to move the disk image from the desktop, and if I eject it then the programme stops. :confused:

can one check the number of points the team has acheived? Or is it only the points one has acheived

Team Statistics

For personal statistics which are linked to the team, replace my username below with your username you use for folding. For personal statistics overall, in case you've folded previously solo or with another team, do the same with the second link. Once you show up on the team page (after your first fold), you can just use the team link, which will have your username linking to your own page.
Code:
http://vspx27.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=userpage&username=VRWCAgent&teamnum=47958

Code:
http://vspx27.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=userpage&username=VRWCAgent

EDIT: UPDATE! Please replace the vspx27 above with fah-web immediately. Unfortunately, the automated html log page that the client creates in the fah directory still makes the vspx27 links and I didn't pay attention when I posted that. It clicked when I re-read the post and I knew that was wrong. From Folding@Home's news section:
10/19/2005 Web server name switch
We are switching some of our web services to a new address. All pages which start with vspx27.stanford.edu will switch to fah-web.stanford.edu. For now, both addresses are available, although the vspx27 will go away. For example, the serverstat page can now be found at http://fah-web.stanford.edu/serverstat.html.

Finally, the team page at Extreme Overclocking, a site which does an amazing job analyzing all of the information and presenting it to the populace. If you click on it right now, you'll see Baghdad Bob. Wait until a few members have folding something AND for Extreme Overclocking to pick up on that. They're a few hours behind Stanford.

Code:
http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/team_summary.php?s=&t=47958

for some reason it aint working... I'll see if I can figure it out... but my stupid college internet connection(which is slower than the dial-up I had in 7th grade, is not working... so later.

Well, I set my computer to not turn off, and left it on the screensaver while I was out all day and so on... I have now completed a work unit. :D I think it only counts completed units, rather than "I left it running all day" stuff.
The CFC team record :cooool:

damn, my poor ass laptop is lagging behind! :)

VRWCAgent said:
Yes. It's dual-core and dual-processor aware and capable of running two independent folds with either setup. I don't personally do it since I don't have either, but the capability is there.

Second question in the running section of the FAQ

That's pretty bad though if you have to manually start the 2nd process. Means 50% of my machine would be sitting there idle most of the time, since I'm not gonna remember to start it.

Hmm. I don't see why you would have to. Is it an issue with having two services running with the same executable name (but I would think svchost.exe blows that out of the water)? If so, try renaming the executable for the second core (I do this anyway, to fah.exe) to maybe something like fah_core2.exe and then run it with the -configonly option, setting it to run as a service. Reboot.

Er, on second though, head over to the folding@home forums and ask someone more knowledgable. That would probably be a safer move! :D

They have quite extensive forums, actually. And I've seen 'newbie' questions get answered within a day.

Non-Mac users ignore this post.
Spoiler :
Toh6wy asked if you can remove the disk image from your desktop with the console version. I have found that yes you can:
1. Drag-and-drop (or otherwise copy) the disk image to a folder in the HD (Hard Disk) - I created one in the Library, called Folding@Home. This puts a folder called FAH5-GUI in your folder. Hopefully, this will have the Folding@Home icon in it; you can now run it from there.
2. Eject the disk image: it vanishes from the desktop.
3. Enjoy running the Folding@Home without having the disk image!

Also, from the Mac Install Info page:
Auto Start:
If you want, you can have Folding@home start up automatically each time you start Mac OS X.

For OS 10.0 - 10.2 users: Just open the System Preferences, click Login (it's listed in the first row), click the Login Items tab that appears, click the Add button, select Folding@home, and click Open. Now, Folding@home will start up every time you login without you having to do anything.

For OS 10.3- users: Just open the System Preferences, click Accounts (it's listed in the System row), click the Startup Items tab that appears , click the [+], select the Folding@home application "fah4" from the file dialog, and click Add.
I'm about to do this, as I can't be arsed to click my way through the folders every time I startup. :D

After an initial estimation of 78 days for the first workitem, it now graciously recalculated to 1+1/2 days. Good for it, as i would have uninstalled it otherwise.
Can't stand programs that make my system look stone aged. ;)

VRWCAgent said:
Hmm. I don't see why you would have to. Is it an issue with having two services running with the same executable name (but I would think svchost.exe blows that out of the water)? If so, try renaming the executable for the second core (I do this anyway, to fah.exe) to maybe something like fah_core2.exe and then run it with the -configonly option, setting it to run as a service. Reboot.

That's what they say.

Does Folding@home run on dual processor machines? Yes, you can. Additional processors must run the console version (with the "-local" command-line argument if run on Windows)

Sure I could schedule a simple process to start it every night, but that kind of defeats the purpose, since I'd have to schedule it so late to be sure it started after I was in bed.... And the last thing I want is a process running in the background.

Hey, I like how you put a linky in to track CFC progress (in the first post). It works, so maybe you should edit it to be a little clearer/bolder?

And mine has (on this workunit) twice jumped from 9% back down to 0. (No turn-offs or power-cuts or anything; just one time I looked and it was 9%, the next time I looked it was 0% with the same protein.) :crazyeye: Back up to 3.25% again now. If it crashes again I'll go and spam their forums asking "WTF?".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom