1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[NFP] Secret Society Speculations

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by JaeChunDaeSung, May 15, 2020.

1. Alexander's Hetaroi

Alexander's Hetaroi Deity

A Ninja unit would compliment the Warrior Monk nicely.

acluewithout likes this.
  2. Casworon

Casworon Prince

The reason i think the district will be a one per empire is that i don't see what could possibly be added by another standard district. Everything i can think of is covered. We have science districts, gold districts, religious districts etc.

If it isn't a one per empire district then the only thing i can think of is a Water version of an already existing district like we have with the Water park being a coastal equivalent of the entertainment complex. But then we have to factor in the fact that it comes with only two new buildings rather than three. Currently all standard districts have three buildings connected to them.

So the only thing that makes sense to me is that it is a district for a game mechanic that originally didn't have a district connected to it, which comes in the mid-game because it only has two building slots.

Espionage makes sense due to it possibly having some connection to secret societies, and apart from one building for the Goverment Plaza, it doesn't yet have a district associated with it. The only reason i say one per empire is that if you could spam an espionage district that seems extremely powerful if it is giving you +1 spy each time. I wasn't imaging the two buildings being mutually exclusive like government plaza buildings, but a mid game building and a late game building improving espionage somehow.

This is all speculation at the moment, but this seems like it makes the most sense to me.

But then you throw in the fact that a later DLC pack also comes with another new district and two new buildings and i am clueless what that could be

3. Karmah

Karmah Emperor Supporter

S
    Spread/counterspread through spy missions?

Meluhhan likes this.
  4. Shibooyeah

Shibooyeah Chieftain

Would love an espionage related district but it would also make the the building in the government plaza obsolete so I'm skeptical it'll happen.

5. AntSou

AntSou Emperor

Just remove the building and replace it with something else.

blackcatatonic likes this.
  6. acluewithout

acluewithout Deity

I don’t think the game needs an espionage district. What would it even do? The Intelligence Agency building pretty much covers the field.

What I would like to see is the option to send Spies as Ambassadors. That would then give Spies three options - Ambassador Mission, Spy Mission and Counterspy - which would be a lot more fun.

I’d also like to see Courts and Police Stations return, but there’s nothing for them to do mechanically in the game at the moment given Loyalty is basically handled by Entertainment Complexes and Governors, and countering spies are handled by (of course) counter spies.

King Rad and Alexander's Hetaroi like this.
  7. Furycrab

Furycrab King

When I think Secret societies, I think of how in Board games you might have a secret alternate Win condition that might not involve playing the game the same way you normally would. Like acquire all of resource X, or get player Y killed (in a cooperative game). Not sure how that plays out in Civ thought.

acluewithout likes this.
  8. Alexander's Hetaroi

Build the police station in the Neighborhood to stop the partisans from spawning obviously.
    Use the counterspies for somewhere else.

Bonci and AntSou like this.
  9. Navelgazer

Navelgazer King

I picture it working akin to or via spy missions, but that establishing a Secret Society will be much like creating a religion (as Eagle Pursuit suggests.) The Society will grant some benefit based on the tenet(s) you choose, and you use spies to establish it's presence in other cities.

10. AntSou

AntSou Emperor

I don't think it will involve spies at all. I'm more inclined towards the mode having its own unique unit.

I think the extent of a secret society will be hidden to anyone but the founder. They might spread negative traits to other Civs.

You'd get a notice letting you know you're being negatively affected by one, but not which.

There would also be ways to uncover which societies exist and uncover which negative traits they apply, but you wouldn't be able to know which Civ founded it.

11. Myomoto

Myomoto Prince

Oh wow, that's a good possibility. Although I doubt the AI could really handle everyone having multiple secret secondary win conditions.

12. IMACIV6PLAYER

IMACIV6PLAYER Chieftain

Free Masons should go for World Domination, only that way will reflect the true mission of the FM

13. acluewithout

acluewithout Deity

Sure, why not?

Although, to be clear, the real Freemasons mostly just build Hospitals and Libraries for people.

Meluhhan and Eagle Pursuit like this.
  14. Datian

Datian Warlord

Don't dismiss their legacy, they also gave fodder for generations of conspiracy theorists, hence tons of fun !

Meluhhan and acluewithout like this.
  15. cosmicmangobear

cosmicmangobear Warlord

I wonder if SS will work similar to ideologies, in that a player chooses one after reaching a certain point in the game, and allying with the other civs that have also chosen that society. Instead of tenets, maybe there could be conspiracies? ("UFOs" give bonus to spaceport production, "Men in Black" prevent spies from stealing tech, "HAARP" can trigger natural disasters in enemy territory, etc.)

16. bbbt

bbbt Deity

While we're assuming they are connected because they come together, there's actually nothing indicating the new buildings are for the new district. They could be new gov plaza buildings, new worship buildings, new alt buildings for existing districts, etc.

For example the district could be the 'headquarters' for your secret society, and then you have 'masonic temple' (or what not) you can build instead of a normal temple in your holy site, and another alt for the theater maybe? If they are bringing in corporations in the later pack (which I am thinking is unlikely but who knows), could be a corporate headquarters district, and say a 'distribution center' and 'manufacturing center' as alts for the stock exchange and factory.

Or they could just disappoint everyone and it will be a bridge district and two new Neighborhood buildings.

17. AntSou

AntSou Emperor

The districts/buildings do not seem to be related to the new modes since they do not require R&F or GS, unlike the modes.

Kmart_Elvis and bbbt like this.
  18. TheMarshmallowBear

TheMarshmallowBear Benelovent Chieftain of the BearKingdom

These modes are NOT scenarios. They are the sprinkles on top of the game, and enhance the normal game.

19. acluewithout

acluewithout Deity

If we get Secret Societies instead of Ideologies, I’m going to be pretty cheesed off.

I’ve no idea what we’re getting. Could be spy related. Could be religion related. Could be some other thing entirely.

I’m actually not really looking forward to it. I just can’t take secret societies seriously after this and this. But I’m also happy to be pleasantly surprised and find it’s actually something cool.

cosmicmangobear likes this.
  20. Alexander's Hetaroi

That's not a disappointment to me. :p

bbbt and Zaarin like this.