[BTS] SGOTM 24 Turbo Ants

I can't say that I've ever built a scout before, and I was about to put it on my no-build list (with monuments, workers, etc,) but a scout seems like a good idea. They can survive better by dodging barbs. Good idea.

Just building settler#2 at pop2, I get Wtg 5t sooner and the wb 6t sooner. I didn't take it all the way to alpha so I'm not sure how much it's delayed. I'm not sure we even need TW or wkr#2 in that scenario.

That's a good option too, LC.

I'm going to have to hand off the save. Un-Got It!

EDIT: When I posted this, I did not see the last two posts for some reason...

LC, when you built the settler as size 2 and without TW, was the worker able to keep up? I'm assuming he went deer x2, fur, cows, right? Did he have no time to build roads which is why TW is not necessary?

LC, when you built the settler as size 2 and without TW, was the worker able to keep up? I'm assuming he went deer x2, fur, cows, right? Did he have no time to build roads which is why TW is not necessary?
Depends. I settled cows-fish, so he eventually ran out of work to do. cows-corn would keep him busy longer. I didn't test all the permutations.

The hypothesis was that less research and more REX was more if we get TW in trade anyway, even without the roads. I'm not yet convinced.

No activity from Pollina for a week now. WT, seems like you're up. Pollina can jump in next possible chance.

I'll be out of town Sat - Tues. If we have made our decisions I could probably play, but if there is much discussion left, then the timing is not good. I read a lot of options. What's the current #1 plan?

I'll be out of town Sat - Tues. If we have made our decisions I could probably play, but if there is much discussion left, then the timing is not good. I read a lot of options. What's the current #1 plan?
I think it's what we've been running but settling Cows first. ZPV wanted to test out Writing before TW and settler before the next worker. I tried it a bit but I'm not sure what he was thinking and I can't decide on something I like. It does get explorers out sooner but I'm not sure about Alpha.

I realized (duh) that we don't need more beakers just to build TW if we're going to get it for free anyway, so earlier ReX might be a good solution. Even Cows-Fish-Corn maybe because Cows can build the fish nets. It's not really settled, so the next turnset player will have to work it out or make a decision.

no wheel means no trade routes. That really hurts our research, no?
And the 2nd worker we decided would almost pay for itself by getting things like corn connected 2 turns faster, 2nd corn 5 turns faster, etc.

So I'm going to test a few variations of that. Mainly corn or cows first.

I guess I Got It!

Skipping the second worker gets all four cities settled sooner and fish netted. Noticeably better REX. Try it at least once. All three settlers come out of our capital.

Worker, grow size 3, settle Corn, size 4, settle Cows

T39 Writing: scout and warrior ready for OB. Corn is improved
T48 CowCity settled: grow size 2, settle Fishcity
T55 workboat just finishes, FishCity settled--waits 3 turns for fish net.

Note: the 4th city takes us from -6 to -12 gpt (no units costs)

T59 Alpha

I don't like the huge delay on alpha. Maybe we should just do Pottery(40% bonus), mining, BW and get to work. Writing (40% bonus). Darius is actually one of my favorite AIs to get Alpha for me.
Our economy is hurting at 4 cities. What do we do if we get to Alpha and can't get BW? We can't build libraries without slavery in most cities.

For the cost of alpha (468), we can get (mining, BW, pottery, Sailing) and then only need to add Myst, Masonry for GLH. That let's us build granaries, galleys and LH, GLH, and dog soldiers.

We could ignore Writing? and explore Darius when he gets Writing. Or maybe squeeze Writing in there.

I was gonna try the 1 worker. Faster REX idea, but why? It's just gonna mean total collapse of our economy. We can't make 4-5 cities do anything without a few key techs.

How about Henge?

Research wheel, Myst, writing

Build : Warrior, warrior, (size 4) settler, Henge

CowCity, settler at size 1, then workboat

T44 Writing
T46 Henge

Settle single corn in 1st ring (doesn't destroy a forest)
- We never get the 2nd fur. If we did, it would delay Henge and we could lose it.
T52 FishCity
T54 DoubleCorn

I think if we went for Henge, we'd not do Writing/Alpha

Last edited:
WT, you're thinking along the same lines that I was right after we learned AH and saw that we had no horses and no easy access to the other AI. Beelining Alpha on a map were we've only met one AI and are likely 20+ turns from meeting one more and maybe 40+ turns from meeting another one seems like a bad play. Too much luck involved. We have several good city locations and can REX peacefully to 4 to 6 cities and then explode...

WT, I think we should build a WB before a settle in CowCity, no? Knowledge is power and we need to know what we're up against map and AI wise.

Was 1 worker able to keep up with things?

Top Bottom